Join Early Retirement Today

MReits opinions?
Old 04-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

MReits opinions?

I own several mReits and wonder if any of you also invested in them. I own ARI, NYMT, NRZ, ORC and CYS off the top of my head. Dv yield on these rge from 10% -18%.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was hoping you would get some feedback, Gary, as I wanting to see some people smoked out of the "conservative investing woodpile" as most here reside in that area. It has taken me 6 months to get some people believing that 6% investment grade utility preferred stock issues that have paid for 50 years are safe. So I imagined that there would not be a flood of responses to Mreits.
You didn't mention, but do you really know what these things do? The leverage used? The movement of interest rates and its effect on the assets? The fund management mechanism, be it internal or external?
I spent several hours studying them a few months ago, and determined their best service for me would be a funding mechanism to permanently separate me from my money. I think some of these are so complicated even the people running them do not know for sure, except the fact they are clipping their management fee off the top every month.
A well informed but very aggressive income investor on another forum buys them, but only the preferred stocks. Even he has recently said he would not touch common shares of Mreits.
I wish you well, it definitely is high risk high reward as those dividends are not guaranteed. I wonder if some isnt just "return on capital"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I got burned by investing in a BDC.... yes, it had great dividends... but then the price started to go down... I did not know why, so hung on... and it kept going down... I am sure there are some bad loans that will eventually come out, but I sold it a year ago... I guess I will check some time, but I do think I lost overall...

I just took a quick look at your first... ARI...

Earnings per share.. $1.54, dividends... $1.84... I would be there is some non cash items that make up the difference, but that just means it is liquidating over time... so unless they keep issuing shares I do not see how they get money to invest....

I do see they have a preff.... and that divi probably has to be paid before common... wonder what the yield is on that...

OK, looked it up... 8.68 yield but not rated... but seems safe as they cover the common pretty well... and it is cumulative, so there is that...

Ticker ARI.PA....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #4

They can be confusing. I tend to understand how they work,but only when I'm actually reading about them. But I couldn't explain it now. but as someone else stated, even the experts have a hard time explaining it. I don't have a lot invested in them. I don't care about price appreciation if they keep paying the dividend.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
They can be confusing. I tend to understand how they work,but only when I'm actually reading about them. But I couldn't explain it now. but as someone else stated, even the experts have a hard time explaining it. I don't have a lot invested in them. I don't care about price appreciation if they keep paying the dividend.

Yes, for some they can be pretty confusing.... I kinda understand them as I was a trustee for ABS securities for a few years... I actually had to review paper that they were trying to put into the trust and make sure that it met the rules stated in the trust...

A REIT is similar enough to an ABS... so the big question is their underwriting criteria... and do they follow it or not... just like any lending, being fast and loose with credit can get you in trouble...

As Mulligan said, it might be better to invest in the preferred shares... sure, less yield, but you are higher up in the food chain.... and as long as they make a profit they would probably pay the divis....

Now, if the whole pool went to pot, then nothing is safe...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes, for some they can be pretty confusing.... I kinda understand them as I was a trustee for ABS securities for a few years... I actually had to review paper that they were trying to put into the trust and make sure that it met the rules stated in the trust...

A REIT is similar enough to an ABS... so the big question is their underwriting criteria... and do they follow it or not... just like any lending, being fast and loose with credit can get you in trouble...

As Mulligan said, it might be better to invest in the preferred shares... sure, less yield, but you are higher up in the food chain.... and as long as they make a profit they would probably pay the divis....

Now, if the whole pool went to pot, then nothing is safe...

This is just me... But I never invest in anything I cant fake enough to appear knowledgable on. When something gets too complicated, I start smelling the rats that may or may not be there... Funny accounting, externally managed which means they just "steal their money" right off the top and sometimes get paid more by doing dumber or riskier things, dividends being passed out as "return on capital". Heck I can do that with my own house every month with a home equity loan and call it dividend. And that will work too, until it doesn't anymore... I refuse to believe anything is "fundamentally safe" with yields over 8%... The market is not in business of excessively free lunches and 12% screams caution. Just my opinion. Traders and steel ball investors, or "whistlers through the graveyard" may well make a killing on them though.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well, there is always StonMor if you need a graveyard to whistle in: STON
Old 04-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Well, there is always StonMor if you need a graveyard to whistle in: STON

And they might accommodate with an investor burial site also. Not an Mreit, but they fit the similar quality of no profitability, but love to pass out those 10% dividends despite 4 consecutive years of losing money and 2016 is projected to lose again.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:49 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
I own several mReits and wonder if any of you also invested in them. I own ARI, NYMT, NRZ, ORC and CYS off the top of my head. Dv yield on these rge from 10% -18%.
Chasing yield! Bad move. AND you're paying higher taxes! :faceplant:
ETFs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:15 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you see a yield of north of 6% best you: Run away whilst holding your wallet.. Something about if it looks to go to be true it usually is...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETFs_Rule View Post
Chasing yield! Bad move. AND you're paying higher taxes! :faceplant:
I plead guilty to chasing yield. They're in IRA's ,so no higher taxes. I only have 5% of my portfolio in them, about 1% per the 5 stocks. They currently average about 15% . Even if they cut dividends down the road I'll be OK, just so they don't go bankrupt. I don't DRIP the divi's from these, I use the money to buy more conventional dividend names like P&G, JNJ, T, etc.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I plead guilty to chasing yield. They're in IRA's ,so no higher taxes. I only have 5% of my portfolio in them, about 1% per the 5 stocks. They currently average about 15% . Even if they cut dividends down the road I'll be OK, just so they don't go bankrupt. I don't DRIP the divi's from these, I use the money to buy more conventional dividend names like P&G, JNJ, T, etc.

Well at 1% per, and 5% total as long as every last dollar you need does not have to be accounted for, I see no problem with a few wild bets as I have a few myself.... But...if you are doing this solely for yield chase only, maybe you should consider what Texas said and flip out of the commons into the preferreds of the same issues you own. A safer play
On a risk play.
MReits opinions?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #13

MReits opinions?

So I am curious Mreits are mortgage reits and invest in mortgages correct? So if I'm not mistaken mortgages are under 5% so exactly where does the difference come from? further how do you know the dividend is nothing but a return of your capital?

Old 04-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
So I am curious Mreits are mortgage reits and invest in mortgages correct? So if I'm not mistaken mortgages are under 5% so exactly where does the difference come from? further how do you know the dividend is nothing but a return of your capital?

There are a lot of moving parts to these including leverage and God knows what else...But I do know this...They borrow on the short end and loan out on the long end... When Feds raised short end 25 bps, the long end responded by lowering...That action smokes Mreits.. If they raise a few more times in next year and country goes into recession with long end dropping there will be Mreit road kill all over the road.
MReits opinions?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #15

MReits opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
There are a lot of moving parts to these including leverage and God knows what else.
These basic rules have served me well...Would you agree
Rule #1
Never invest in anything where you don't understand where the money comes from. Bernie Madoff investors learned the reality of this basic premise..

Rule #2
Avoid long term relationships with high maintenance women

Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
These basic rules have served me well...Would you agree
Rule #1
Never invest in anything where you don't understand where the money comes from. Bernie Madoff investors learned the reality of this basic premise..

Rule #2
Avoid long term relationships with high maintenance women

Yep.... I want to be able to know at least why I lost my money, and that isnt possible with Mreits for me anyways.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #17
gone traveling

The higher the yield the greater the risk of loss of principal and inability to continue to pay the yield.
ETFs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

The basic concept of the mReit, borrowing at a low rate and lending at a higher rate seems almost foolproof. On that basis I have invested in several over the years. And always lost money. That proves nothing, but I did decide to stop doing that.

Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:37 AM   #19
gone traveling

I have invested in MReits in the past. I've discovered you can make a small fortune in them; provided you start with a large fortune.
AtlasShrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasShrugged View Post
I have invested in MReits in the past. I've discovered you can make a small fortune in them; provided you start with a large fortune.

Now that is funny...