Join Early Retirement Today

mREITs, what's your opinion?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

mREITs, what's your opinion?

People are always looking for return and mortgage REITS definitely fit that bill with dividends greater than 10%. However, I'm always dubious about any investment with such a large return as I figure it must go along with lots of risk and obviously the risk with mREITs is all the borrowing used to generate the dividends. So do you have to be a market timer to even consider them? or just a gambler?

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
People are always looking for return and mortgage REITS definitely fit that bill with dividends greater than 10%. However, I'm always dubious about any investment with such a large return as I figure it must go along with lots of risk and obviously the risk with mREITs is all the borrowing used to generate the dividends. So do you have to be a market timer to even consider them? or just a gambler?
you do need to do some homework on how mreits make money. I have several, I do not reinvest dividends. MREITS raise funds to buy investments by selling more shares, typically they sell more shares when the share price is at least 4% or so more than book value. I like to add positions after a share offering because typically the market price drops a bit lower than the share offering price. I like MREITS and Business Development Companies BDCs for a small portion of my portfolio. Its not so much market timing as understanding the buying and selling opportunities that MREITs offer by their very nature.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
you do need to do some homework on how mreits make money. I have several, I do not reinvest dividends. MREITS raise funds to buy investments by selling more shares, typically they sell more shares when the share price is at least 4% or so more than book value. I like to add positions after a share offering because typically the market price drops a bit lower than the share offering price. I like MREITS and Business Development Companies BDCs for a small portion of my portfolio. Its not so much market timing as understanding the buying and selling opportunities that MREITs offer by their very nature.
In today's interest rate environment mREITs have nice rate spreads, but I was wondering how people feel with the 5 or 6 times leverage they use to multiply the spread and pay those dividends.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
In today's interest rate environment mREITs have nice rate spreads, but I was wondering how people feel with the 5 or 6 times leverage they use to multiply the spread and pay those dividends.
That is one of the reasons they usually trade under book value.