MS Money vs Quicken

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Quicken's inability to print to a networked printer is driving me nuts. Yes I have tried renaming wpr.dat to wpr.old. Didn't work. Any vendor who doesn't fix a known problem over several updates doesn't deserve my business. :uglystupid:

My accounting software needs are simple. I want to download transactions from Fidelity, but that feature isn't critical. It is critical that I can update investment values and that I can allocate expenditures by type (categories). It is also critical that it prints through a home network.

Were you me would you switch from Quicken to MS Money? :-\

I considered the switch a year or two ago. After a lot of searching, I found that there were just as many MS Money haters as Quicken haters. I downloaded the MS Money trial, failed to get it to easily suck up my Quicken data and gave up.

Tell me more about this printing problem. When I choose to print something from my Quicken Premier 2006, it lists all printers. I'd test it, but the computer with Quicken on it is also the one that is connected to the printer. I don't understand why Quicken has anything to do with what printer you print to.

If it really doesn't work, you could print to a file and then copy that file to printer. You could also print using CutePDF or Quicken's own PDF printer, then print that to the network printer.

Brat said:
Were you me would you switch from Quicken to MS Money? :-\

I made that switch. Database was corrupted and could not be fixed, and then they started warning me that I would either have to buy a newer version or no longer use their online research service.

This statement is accurate from what I found in my research as well

TromboneAl said:
...I found that there were just as many MS Money haters as Quicken haters.

My move to Money was originally just to try it out (got an older version cheap at half-priced bookstore). It was a little confusing at first, but once my I got used to the differences I found it easy to use. I have not bothered to try and convert the old Quicken db to Money. I just started using Money on Jan 1 '06 and if I need to look at historical stuff I still have Quicken (db has problems but I can work around it usually).

For the heck of it I just opened Quicken (2003 version) and was able to print from my networked printer. I did have to go to Printer Setup under the file menu to change printers.

I used Quicken for years and years (started with DOS version), but the arrogance of the company became too much for me to deal with. The corrupted database and "buy new version" extortion just helped throw me over the edge. As for Money, I like it well enough. It has some small differences, but it's not missing anything I can't live without.

This may be a lame workaround, but if you can't get it to print to the networked printer, you might try printing to PDF, then printing the pdf to the networked printer.

Depending on what version of Quicken you have, you may have a print-to-pdf option from Quicken. If not, you can try one of the free pdf print drivers like CutePDF writer or Win2PDF.

These pdf drivers install and look to like a printer, but instead of printing the output, they allow you to save it to a pdf file. They're really handy for archiving tax returns and other important docs.

Jim

PDF feature, thought about that. The PDF option would be great except for the fact that I have a hyperventelating DH who thinks doing that is 'high level' stuff.

We have a relative with an inside track to MS software. DH has Windows 2000 which probably isn't compatible with the current Money software. Ehha!!! :-\

Re: Intuit's dirty software tactics

To help everyone who's struggling with a Microsoft vs Intuit choice, here's my latest "product support" e-mail from Intuit's "customer service" slimeballs staff:

"Dear [insert first name here 'cuz we're such good friends],

You may have heard about the upcoming release of Microsoft's new operating system, Windows Vista. Microsoft has made significant changes to how software runs on Windows Vista.

I'm sending you this important service alert because you are using a 2006 or earlier version of QuickBooks software.

Since QuickBooks 2006 and earlier versions were developed and released before the introduction of Windows Vista, these versions may be adversely affected when used on a computer running Windows Vista.

This will impact Simple Start, Basic, Pro, Premier, Payroll and Point of Sale, as well as other QuickBooks products and services. We recognize that your QuickBooks software is an important business tool and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO TO STAY UP AND RUNNING ON QUICKBOOKS

• If you do NOT upgrade to Windows Vista

No action is required. If you plan to stay with your existing Windows operating system (for example, Windows XP or Windows 2000), you can continue to use your current QuickBooks products.

• If you choose to upgrade to Windows Vista

We recommend that you use QuickBooks 2007 (and Point of Sale v6.0, if applicable). QuickBooks 2007 is the only version of the software built to run on the new Windows Vista operating system.

To learn more about your options for running QuickBooks products on Windows Vista, please visit www.quickbooks.com/support/vista. You'll find detailed instructions on how to use QuickBooks while you consider the transition to Windows Vista.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you would like to send us feedback on QuickBooks and Windows Vista, please visit our Windows Vista Resource Center at www.quickbooks.com/support/vista.

Thank you for making QuickBooks a part of your business.

Sincerely,

Brad Smith
Senior Vice President, QuickBooks

Please print and save for your records."

Back
Top Bottom