Join Early Retirement Today

MSN Money: "Reinventing retirement"
Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

MSN Money: "Reinventing retirement"

I don't read every post and I didn't find anything from a keyword search, so let me know if someone has already discussed on this series. Seems odd that it's been running for over a month and this is our first post on the subject.

It started at the end of April with an article on "The New Fantasy Retirement":
The new fantasy retirement - Series Home

That first article is actually titled "Retirement: The New Dirty Word" and has Ken Dychtwald's typical polemic in favor of working until you die:
The new fantasy retirement - MSN Money

An interesting sidebar was the commentary from artist Fred Mandell-- ESRBob, have you heard of him?

The second article came out at the beginning of May:
Get your dream job ... at 55 - MSN Money

This time Dychtwald is accompanied by Jeri Sedlar of "Don't Retire, Rewire" fame.

A few days later, the third article is a bit more supportive of the ER lifestyle:
7 common retirement traps to avoid - MSN Money

But apparently we're unable to accomplish the transition without seeking professional help:
Quote:
"About half of today's retirees are really quite miserable in their post-retirement lives," psychologist and researcher Ken Dychtwald has concluded, based on 50,000-plus interviews he has done for his books on aging.
Those retirees end up unhappy because they are unable to adapt to the new retirement model, says Jim McCarthy, a managing director at Morgan Stanley.
After a couple weeks, the fourth article focused more on how people are actually enjoying their ER instead of seeking employment or wisdom:
4 retirees who are living big dreams

The fifth & sixth parts aren't out yet, but appear to be titled "Saving the world" and "Best places". I suspect they'll be more entertaining than helpful.

You may have inferred by now that I'm not a big fan of these types of "keep busy" and "you can't ER without paying for expert advice" articles, but there are bright spots among Dychtwald and all the other helpful advisors.

Has anyone else on the board contributed to these articles, or does anyone know any of the people profiled here? It's probably too late to change the mindsets of Dychtwald & Sedlar, but it would seem that the series authors have a lot to learn from this board's collective wisdom...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Is there a category for 'rather sell a kidney'?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
gone traveling

I am really just learning how to stop wanting to work more. I have been ER since last year and the past few months I have been able to smell the roses. Being in my early 50s I still have maybe guilt about not having to work anymore. I mean I was working at 8 years old helping put the sunday newspapers together in NYC. Worked all through HS and College. So I worked over 40 years at some job.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't watched the subject series (for various reasons) so cannot really comment on it. However, there is also another "retirement" series currently in process (that I also haven't watched) that may interest some. PBS's Nightly Business Report has a year-long series of reports called "Get Your Finances Ready for Retirement" that appears two Mondays a month (started May 12th).

Nightly Business Report . Get Your Finances Ready for Retirement | PBS

Monthly companion articles will be featured in US News & World Report.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for sharing the MSN series. I found it interesting and inspirational. Most of the stories are about people doing things outside of the mainstream - peace corps, hang-gliding etc.

Edited to add:
I find the mainstream press articles on retirement a lot more interesting when they steer away from the financial aspects. For those, I find the professional journals a lot more useful (eg. Journal of Financial Planning).

The NBR articles are very basic, so if you already know about asset allocation, SWR etc, you may not learn much that is new.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like they've finished the last two articles:
Quit your job; save the world -- MSN Money

The new hot retirement spots - MSN Money

Much more positive tone...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I read through the 4 retirees big dreams story and it was OK. These stories are written to entertain more then to be informative. I think they can get people feeling that their ER lives are not exciting and maybe they're losers. Did you hang glide today? Why not, what a dull life you must lead. Where are the stories about people enjoying growing flowers in their back yards or taking a walk and watching the birds? And why aren't you running that marathon instead of sitting around reading those novels with those extra pounds around your waste?

Well most of us are probably guilty of trying to find something to brag a little about no matter what age we are. I know I am guilty as charged. I run a lot, learn French, do oil painting, ... . Still those stories can be real downers. I wonder if it's just an American phenomena, a reflection of our youth oriented culture. Do we really have to be always challenging ourselves? Anybody else feel like that?

Where are the rants? You know ... I'm mad about it and I'm not going to take this anymore !!!

P.S. Don't mean to impugn Nords' motives here. I admire his surfing adventures even though I'm green with envy.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #8

thanx for post nords. hadn't seen it. good series. i relate to a lot of that. even the last one you posted. lived on boat. lived on st. croix. lived in florida. visited chattanooga (nice, but no threat to florida). been on vacation now for almost 2 years but i don't surf and i don't golf.

i can see myself in the peace corp for a few years or volunteering elsewhere overseas. would love to work with exotic animals on a reserve. whenever i see pictures in mags or stories on tv or read about them, the whole idea of it really moves me.

very much looking foward to dumping these houses, selling out and living poor. the way i live now is very comfortable, but it does not comfort me. i am not bored, but my life here is not interesting. so i prepare to trade a little comfort for a lot of interest. perhaps i'm just looking to bring some risk & reward to my retirement.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i can see myself in the peace corp for a few years or volunteering elsewhere overseas. would love to work with exotic animals on a reserve. whenever i see pictures in mags or stories on tv or read about them, the whole idea of it really moves me.

I looked into the Peace Corps and even completed the lengthy application but discovered that I would have to do some body renovation in order to pass the medical screening and even then, with my skin cancer history, it's unlikely they would take me.
And, I, too, would love to work around animals but not sure in what capacity. I know someone who retired and is now a nature guide at a reserve. He drives the safari vehicle around the reserve. Very cool job for someone who loves to educate and talk to people about animals.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
so i prepare to trade a little comfort for a lot of interest. perhaps i'm just looking to bring some risk & reward to my retirement.
Just watch out for "May you live in interesting times"...

Old 06-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I looked into the Peace Corps...with my skin cancer history, it's unlikely they would take me.
sorry about the cancer of course but i thought i read that controlled medical problems are not such an issue. even still, there are plenty of other places to volunteer. what attracts me to the peace corp now is that i've wanted to do that since college but never had or took the opportunity, also i'm a little unsure of myself in this and so i like the idea of venturing off within some sort of structured environment. i might just wing it though. never know.

Quote:
I know someone who retired and is now a nature guide at a reserve. He drives the safari vehicle around the reserve. Very cool job for someone who loves to educate and talk to people about animals.
that would be just so unbelievably so awesomely too cool. i could drive tourists around in the convertible stang on safaris. i can already picture me doing donuts on the savanna. fun fun fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Just watch out for "May you live in interesting times"...
watching my net worth deplete by 30% as i luxuriate in america hasn't been interesting enough?

there is a buddhist concept of praying for adversity so as to create opportunity to practice compassion. ok, i've had enough practice, thank you.

still, the theory holds and applies tangentially. everything here is so easy. so predictable. i could lose my eyesight and still be able to shop at the local supermarket, knowing all my products and their shelving that well. i know the roads, i know the weather, i know the animals, i know the people. i want to know what i don't know.

it isn't even to challenge myself. i don't feel the need to bungee jump out of a plane. but also i don't want to insulate myself from interesting times. i've already read all the national geographic magazines. i've already watched all the tv shows. i've lived such a protected life. now i want to see it. i want to live it, to experience it. if i survive it, i'll come back to my couch later and reminisce about an interesting life.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 06-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - this is my 15th year of doing nothing in particular and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

Been a wet year in Missouri - I may expand my level of expertise to watching grass grow - providing it doesn't get too difficult to master.

heh heh heh - should I feel guilty for not being hyperactive? Soooo far I've been able to fight it off. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #13

oh, i'm all for doing nothing in particular. i'm just tired of doing it here.

i don't need to make more things, i want to experience more life. i can hit the canvas later, you know, after the arthritis in my feet get so bad that i'll no longer be able to trek through thailand in search of baby elephants left orphaned by poachers.

i'm under no illusion that i'm saving the world. i just want to play with baby elephants.

as to patients: tested and passed. you don't get through alzheimer's without it. brother & sil trying to talk me into a roadtrip to tennessee again this summer. her nephews are already asking. "is that man coming with us again; he was fun." see, i told you so; i'm fun. dunno though, i might rather spend that money visiting dad or fixing up my house. when yer this cheap, you can afford to be patient.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

(After starting with Nord's post below, we were experiencing some topic drift, so I moved the posts about art to this thread in "Other Topics".)

Quote:
I don't read every post and I didn't find anything from a keyword search, so let me know if someone has already discussed on this series. Seems odd that it's been running for over a month and this is our first post on the subject.

It started at the end of April with an article on "The New Fantasy Retirement":
The new fantasy retirement - Series Home

That first article is actually titled "Retirement: The New Dirty Word" and has Ken Dychtwald's typical polemic in favor of working until you die:
The new fantasy retirement - MSN Money

An interesting sidebar was the commentary from artist Fred Mandell-- ESRBob, have you heard of him?

The second article came out at the beginning of May:
Get your dream job ... at 55 - MSN Money

This time Dychtwald is accompanied by Jeri Sedlar of "Don't Retire, Rewire" fame.

A few days later, the third article is a bit more supportive of the ER lifestyle:
7 common retirement traps to avoid - MSN Money

But apparently we're unable to accomplish the transition without seeking professional help:

After a couple weeks, the fourth article focused more on how people are actually enjoying their ER instead of seeking employment or wisdom:
4 retirees who are living big dreams

The fifth & sixth parts aren't out yet, but appear to be titled "Saving the world" and "Best places". I suspect they'll be more entertaining than helpful.

You may have inferred by now that I'm not a big fan of these types of "keep busy" and "you can't ER without paying for expert advice" articles, but there are bright spots among Dychtwald and all the other helpful advisors.

Has anyone else on the board contributed to these articles, or does anyone know any of the people profiled here? It's probably too late to change the mindsets of Dychtwald & Sedlar, but it would seem that the series authors have a lot to learn from this board's collective wisdom...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
as to patients: tested and passed. you don't get through alzheimer's without it. brother & sil trying to talk me into a roadtrip to tennessee again this summer. her nephews are already asking. "is that man coming with us again; he was fun." see, i told you so; i'm fun. dunno though, i might rather spend that money visiting dad or fixing up my house. when yer this cheap, you can afford to be patient.
So go see your dad, go to Tennessee, you would really enjoy having the chance to plan and execute a trip like that, I'll bet. And everyone needs to see Graceland! Memphis is the coolest place, followed closely by Nashville. I've only been once, and wish we could go back and just hang out and listen to music there.

You know that the best part of a trip is the planning--that'll keep you engaged for a while. And that car doesn't like just puttering around town, you know!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords
Quote:
Quote:
RonBoyd
Quote:
PBS's Nightly Business Report has a year-long series of reports called "Get Your Finances Ready for Retirement" that appears two Mondays a month (started May 12th).

I’m not entirely convinced that these Program Directors really want to learn from those that are actually retired and living the life.

I contacted Jack Kahn Director of Program DevelopmentNBR in Miami after watching the first several Retirement series that NBR was offering. After one financial advisor told the audience that retirement is a permanent vacation (showing cruise ships in the background, golf courses, Fast boats, and high end resorts photo after photo) and another advisor said that "she knows people’’ and they will need between 100-110 % of their current wages to live comfortably in retirement, I just had to write.

Jack was rather defensive of NBR’s position… Gosh, I guess we don’t know what we are doing.

LG4N
Quote:
i've lived such a protected life. now i want to see it. i want to live it, to experience it. if i survive it, i'll come back to my couch later and reminisce about an interesting life.
Well put, LG4N.

Good for you.

Wish you the best!
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
Old 06-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Has anyone else on the board contributed to these articles, or does anyone know any of the people profiled here? It's probably too late to change the mindsets of Dychtwald & Sedlar, but it would seem that the series authors have a lot to learn from this board's collective wisdom...
I think there is a tremendous opportunity for someone perhaps even on this board to write a good book on ER. There are so many articles that seem to be written by people still in the work force. Are there any that have been written by retired folks? Probably so. I'm thinking of the Boglehead book by Taylor & Mel though. They got a lot of personnal satisfaction out of writing this and a lot of exposure. Of course, if you write the book it might become w*rk and then are you truely ER'd or have you rejoined the work force? That's why I'm not going to write one.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Isbcal, we have several proud authors on the board, including Billy and Akaisha Kaderli, who wrote the Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement, and ESR Bob, AKA Bob Clyatt, whose book Work Less, Live More is wonderful. There is also the old standby, written by the Terhorsts and long out of print, Cashing in on the American Dream, about their early retirement. I would recommend all of them!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Oops, I guess there were more people writing on ER then I imagined . Thanks Sarah.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sarah in SC
Quote:
Isbcal, we have several proud authors on the board,…
Thanks, Sarah, for the mention and the kudos. We (all) appreciate it.

isbcal
Quote:
Of course, if you write the book it might become w*rk and then are you truely ER'd or have you rejoined the work force? That's why I'm not going to write one.
Hi Isbcal,
This is a viewpoint that many hold about retirement - you know, that once one retires, that’s it.

No more work, no more focus of one’s energy, no more bringing to fruition projects that are dear to you. One might simply want to laze around indefinitely.

It has been our experience that this isn’t true.

For example, when Billy and I lived in Chapala, Billy was quite involved in running the City tennis courts, even raising tens of thousands of dollars to build two additional courts. This was done on a completely volunteer basis.

Was this work? You betcha!

Did the commitment to this project somehow ‘invalidate’ our retirement status?

And of course the years we spent doing End of Life Care for our parents was certainly ‘work’ or ‘effort’ but we could only have done it in such large measure because we no longer held jobs.

We prefer to call ourselves ’Financially Independent’ - meaning we can choose what to do with our time. Our time is our own.

It’s not realistic to think that once one quits their job they never do anything productive again, or never bring in any income due to creative endeavors.

If you have been a contributing member of society before you retired from the work force, chances are you will continue to contribute. If you were creative, energetic and applied yourself before you left your job, you will continue to be so after you leave it -- perhaps even more so.

Life doesn’t just stop after leaving the job. There are countless opportunities to enrich your own life and the lives of others once the ‘daily grind’ has stopped. If you make a bit of cash, so be it. If not, you won’t miss it, because you are Financially Independent.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement