Join Early Retirement Today
Multi family housing as an Investment.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Multi family housing as an Investment.

Anyone out there invest in multifamily units? I would love to ask you some questions about the positives and negatives of investing in multifamily properties.

Jmo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets
I have 8 units to date and am in the process of purchasing another 2 unit in a few months. What questions do u have?

santoball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
I would be more inclined to call this a business than an investment.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Questions like what are some of the unexpected costs you can incur. Most of the multi family props in my area are quoted as a cost per
"Door" and 7 cap. Help me here.
Jmo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado
I just posted my thoughts on multi-family property under the "rental property" thread. When I look at potential multi-family property I evaluate it based on "cash-on-cash" return, not cap rate. I consider cap rate to be a real red herring, since it's easier to manipulate. Be especially suspicious of "pro-forma" numbers, and always demand to see the last 2 years tax returns to confirm the income and expenses. Cost per door is also pretty useless unless you're looking at a perfect apples-to-apples comparison. For me, the biggest unexpected expense was turnover. Feel free to contact me directly with any other questions.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't think my multi-family home is exactly what you're asking about, but it might give some perspective. I own a 2-family and live in the upstairs unit. This has the advantage of me always being "on site" and management expenses and worries are minimized. Turn over has never been an issue for me thanks to Craigslist and local college listing. I've seen capital appreciation, love the depreciation I claim on taxes and get $1200/month rent. Now that the mortgage is paid it nets me $1000/month after costs like insurance, maintenance and taxes are taken out. If I ever need a bit more income I could move downstairs and rent out the upper unit for $2000/month.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe
The wife and I have several SFR - No multi-family experience. We have thought about it, but the problem is what about when I want to sell? I can only sell to other investors. I always think about a backup plan and my exit strategy for every property we buy. I just don't like the options with multifamily units as much as SFR.

Good luck. We are happy with the rental income and its certainly a major tool for our ER strategy.
LandlordInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
How can you assess this investment when we don't know whether or not tax deductions will survive this legislative session??

Ive been thinking about getting into Real estate as an alternative/to compliment my traditional investments. However, I cant ignore the above risk. Its a huge factor in establishing the value of such a move.
Ken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
You can assess the investment on a pre-tax basis. I just figure out what return I want to make without taking into account depreciation/taxes or appreciation. Since real estate is a longer term investment anyway it's hard to really know what the long-term tax impact will be.

I now have 7 rental properties with 2 more under contract. These should produce about 60% of my retirement needs and help protect me from inflation as rents go up when inflation is an issue (as do house prices). Biggest issue is that the low point in my local market was 12-24 months ago and it's getting harder to find good properties.

Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote