Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I've held them for years but I use funds. I can't develop a compelling case to hold individual bonds. Too much work, need a lot of issues to diversify and liquidity is a problem. Especially for small portfolios.
Seems that individual issues held to redemption can provide some protection from the NAV decline exposure of MFs and can provide a somewhat more predictable forecast of cash flow. ~$250,000 could be a reasonable average amount for a laddered muni portfolio.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At a high level, a rolling ladder is the same (mathematical risk) as a fund basically. These are assets I don't intend to touch for quite some time (or maybe never) -- probably 4-5x the duration of the fund.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At a high level, a rolling ladder is the same (mathematical risk) as a fund basically.
I hope you have your flame proof armor on.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
At a high level, a rolling ladder is the same (mathematical risk) as a fund basically. These are assets I don't intend to touch for quite some time (or maybe never) -- probably 4-5x the duration of the fund.
If and when I need cash from this portion of my asset allocation, I prefer to have the choice of taking it from a maturing / called bond or a MF. I'm not partial to paying capital gains on tax exempt investments.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #25

So for those that are buying individual bonds, couple questions - how do you get through all the bonds available with questions like call provisions, cost to insure them, and keep up with developments that affect them? Just seems to be so much more to have to evaluate with thousands of bonds available.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
If and when I need cash from this portion of my asset allocation, I prefer to have the choice of taking it from a maturing / called bond or a MF. I'm not partial to paying capital gains on tax exempt investments.
Yes, a non-rolling ladder is a different animal.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
So for those that are buying individual bonds, couple questions - how do you get through all the bonds available with questions like call provisions, cost to insure them, and keep up with developments that affect them? Just seems to be so much more to have to evaluate with thousands of bonds available.
It helps if you consider reading The Bond Buyer a labor of love and are comfortable reading Official Statements.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Many investors here have tax deferred accounts so they don't need munis. I don't, and munis make up my largest allocation. We hold individual bonds, muni funds and muni CEFs in similar amounts. If Ms Whitney made another scary projection about munis, and they were to fall in price, I would buy more.
Would you buy as part of rebalancing or would you be changing your asset allocation. I've been worried about rate hikes and didn't really think of buying more if\ when that happens. Seems like a simple solution especially for those gradually shifting to a heavier bond holding, like me.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi,
I am new to the forum and pretty new to investing.
I am also considering buying into some NY Muni bond Funds. Most likely through Vanguard.
My question is, can these be sold at anytime? I am still a little unsure of the rules.
Thank you
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaverNY View Post
Hi,
I am new to the forum and pretty new to investing.
I am also considering buying into some NY Muni bond Funds. Most likely through Vanguard.
My question is, can these be sold at anytime? I am still a little unsure of the rules.
Thank you
My first foray into non-retirement investing was buying into a NY Muni bond fund more than 20 years ago. It was through Fidelity.

I don't know about Vanguard, but you can usually sell shares of a muni bond fund at any time. You may face a short-term trading fee if you hold the shares less than 30 days, for example (using first-in-first-out and excluding shares bought through dividend or cap gains reinvestment). The fund's prospectus will point out any such fees and to which shares they may apply.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

As long as you buy bonds from an issue that represents a stable taxpaying base you are fine. Detroit GO bonds? No thanks!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love muni bonds and they have been the most successful part of my portfolio. Mine have grown in value over the past few years as interest rates have dropped and bond values have gone up. I'm glad that I laddered Muni bonds instead of CDs' that are paying almost nothing while I still get a nice income off of my muni bonds. It won't last, however, I know that when interest rates go up I'll lose some of my gains but I bought them for the monthly income not to profit off of them. And, I do sleep good at night knowing I'll get my check each month.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Still working and in high marginal tax bracket. Have 15-20% AA to muni/tax free bond funds.
One thing I should add is that, for us, Munis are a relatively recent addition to our portfolio; in taxable accounts. Just for context, we're <5 yrs from retirement and have been moving to a more conservative AA over the past few years.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
Would you buy as part of rebalancing or would you be changing your asset allocation. I've been worried about rate hikes and didn't really think of buying more if\ when that happens. Seems like a simple solution especially for those gradually shifting to a heavier bond holding, like me.
Rate hikes are a concern, but I think the greater risk is still deflation, and I would increase the allocation if prices were to fall.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks everyone for their comments.

I would love to hear some more Muni comments.

From what I can gather so far, the main risks are deflation (thanks MichaelB) and rates rising.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just had a GO muni called early (8 yrs left) that was paying 4.7%. That is one downside I didn't expect so soon although I knew it could happen. We will be looking to replace.
Easypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

All of my fixed income investments are in tax deferred accounts and I plan to withdraw from those accounts in a way that the effective tax rate will be quite low so there is no benefit to be had from the difference in interest rates between similar quality corporate bonds and munis.

IMHO, munis only make sense if they are in a taxable account and you have a high marginal tax rate and most ERs marginal tax rate is not very high.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easypick View Post
We just had a GO muni called early (8 yrs left) that was paying 4.7%. That is one downside I didn't expect so soon although I knew it could happen. We will be looking to replace.
My WA State GO 5% due 01/01/20 acquired 11/29/06 @ 106.388 was called on 01/01/12, resulting in a yield to call of 3.61%. YTM would have been 4.35%.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
All of my fixed income investments are in tax deferred accounts and I plan to withdraw from those accounts in a way that the effective tax rate will be quite low so there is no benefit to be had from the difference in interest rates between similar quality corporate bonds and munis.

IMHO, munis only make sense if they are in a taxable account and you have a high marginal tax rate and most ERs marginal tax rate is not very high.
I have munis in taxable accounts due to high marginal tax rate. What would you move munis to upon retirement when tax rate goes down? Assuming AA is maintained.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Similar quality/duration corporate bonds, you would likely end up with a better yield depending on your marginal tax rate in retirement. Compare the corporate yield * (1- marginal tax rate) to the muni yield (all else being equal).
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interest rates, municipal bonds, risk, tax-exempt