Join Early Retirement Today

Munis --- Will this be an Opportunity?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Munis --- Will this be an Opportunity?

Run... Ruuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, selllll, seeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllll. Says the spider to the fly... Heh heh heh (in my best Simpon's Mr Montgomery Burns voice)

Joking aside... How low does it have to go to be a ripe opportunity to make some money (i.e., discount for excessive fear and overdone).

Quote:
Municipal bonds continued to sell off this week, as worried investors fled the market, and the media continued to churn out stories about state and local governments struggling with severe budget shortfalls.
Defaults, debt, decline: Muni bond fears run wild - Jan. 14, 2011

Looks like VG canceled the roll out of 3 Muni ETFs. My guess is that they will do it later when things stabilize.

http://etfdailynews.com/blog/2011/01...pal-bond-etfs/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wait for blood in the streets, full scale panic by retailers.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

A balanced article from today's WSJ on munis: Municipal Bonds: What Investors Should Do Now - WSJ.com
Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Put a slug into short term last week. Don't know if we'll get a flood or Chinese water torture. Keeping some powder dry in case.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Wait for blood in the streets, full scale panic by retailers.
That hasn't happened yet? Last week was really bad!

Audrey
Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Audrey
really bad might be this summer if they decide to end further QE and let interest rates and inflation get back to normal levels.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Audrey
I do not see quality munis at 10% yields yet. I also just did a search on Muni CEFs and the biggest discount to NAV I can find is 9% (I own a taxable fund with close to a 15% discount). I can wait.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hmm - that is your standard? Tax-free yield of 10%? (or are you talking about CEFs?) Seems like things are pretty out of balance now considering that other FI classes haven't been punished nearly as much.

Here is a quote from Barrons - quoted on a M* forum:
Quote:
Good reality check from Barrons..

"Another muni-bond pro observed that California GO bonds due in 2039, rated A-minus by Standard & Poor's, were trading at a tax-free yield of 6.10%. In comparison, fully taxable Mexican government bonds, rated triple-B rating by S&P, and Colombia's obligations, with a below-investment-grade Ba1 from Moody's, yield about 5.75%. Meanwhile, leveraged closed-end muni funds offer tax-free yields up to 8%."
But sure, if I had more $$ to invest I might wait too.

Audrey
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm out, perhaps I will be proven wrong, if you ask DW that's a daily thing, but given that I live in California I wouldn't buy their debt with your money!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm - that is your standard? Tax-free yield of 10%? (or are you talking about CEFs?) Seems like things are pretty out of balance now considering that other FI classes haven't been punished nearly as much.

Here is a quote from Barrons - quoted on a M* forum:

But sure, if I had more $$ to invest I might wait too.

Audrey
I am not a natural buyer of munis because I do not like a lot of things about them:

- typically very long maturities (strike 1)

- frequently callable (strike 2)

- often small issue sizes with low liquidity (strike 3)

So in order for me to be interested in munis, I want a really fat pitch. One must also consider the other people in the market here. Corporates blew up in the crash in part because so many of the owners of the bonds were levered up and had to meet margin calls, etc., so often bonds sold regardless of price or value. Munis have a largely retail ownership base. That removes the leverage issues, but adds in a volatile element if the financial press starts screaming too loudly, as the herd may panic and dump irrationally.

I don't know what the likelihood of a genuine panic in munis will be and I don't care to handicap it. But I want to wait for the fat pitch rather than nibble at a "good deal." When there is the strong possibility of an eventual capital gain on bonds that I would be happy to hold and clip coupons til maturity, I will be real interested.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After much consideration I have decided to keep my munis. The main reason is that it is my belief that cities going bankrupt will be bailed out. The damage would be too great if investors did not get their money back, as everyone would withdraw their munis money immediately if one city only goes bankrupt and cannot pay its bond holders. Again I am not a finance expert and may be totally wrong on this topic.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am not a natural buyer of munis because I do not like a lot of things about them:

- typically very long maturities (strike 1)

- frequently callable (strike 2)

- often small issue sizes with low liquidity (strike 3)
My take exactly. On form, munis are the quintessential retail investors' hidey hole, and as such are rarely truly good long term investments, although as in any other asset class there are speculative opportunities from time to time. I pass on most of these.

I might easily turn out to be 100% wrong, but I am not going to get killed doing something that doesn't make any sense to me going in.
To me, it doesn't make sense to buy any long term bonds at 6% at a time when the money supply of the entire world is being kited as never before.

YMMV.

Ha