Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Mutual Fund Evaluation
Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

Brewer, I didn't think you would subject yourself to that mass produced swill?
Nah, I rarely buy beer usually just wine and spirits.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

My Costco carries Karl Strauss Amber Lager, I would humbly submit this as quaffable in a pinch.

I can't believe they don't sell booz at your Costco, brewer, that really stinks!

On topic, good Lord, 5.5% front load? At the very least, don't put any more into it. I would sell as well. Be glad you got a decent return.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I bought my wife a $10 bottle of "budweiser brew masters private reserve" at sams club yesterday. Doesnt say much about whats inside except that its supposed to be "the good stuff" and 8.5% alcohol. I'm guessing its going to be closer to an ale than a pilsner, which means I just bought MYSELF a $10 bottle of budweiser... :P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I bought some beer called Steel Reserve, or some such (has 211 on the can), it calls itself "high gravity". So I had 4 of them on Saturday, like I normally do with MGD, and promptly passed out. DW says, "Uh, dear, did you miss the label on the can that says 8.1%". Doesn't that mean I had a twelve pack, or nearly so, of regular beer? I was so sick. :P
Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I bought some beer called Steel Reserve, or some such (has 211 on the can), it calls itself "high gravity". So I had 4 of them on Saturday, like I normally do with MGD, and promptly passed out. DW says, "Uh, dear, did you miss the label on the can that says 8.1%". Doesn't that mean I had a twelve pack, or nearly so, of regular beer? I was so sick. :P
Heh, means you had almost 7 normal beers. Perils of high gravity brewing...

Presently I have two things on tap: a rather sweet stout that is about "normal" strength (roughly 5% ABV), and a slightly sparkling off-dry cyser (cross between mead and hard cider) that clocks in at 11.5%. One day last week DW told me she had a pint (!) of the cyser during the day.

- George Orwell

Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
One day last week DW told me she had a pint (!) of the cyser during the day.
... and a four-hour "nap"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what to do with the rest of the twelve pack, I have to recaclulate...for weekends there is a happy medium point where I'm feeling fine but not too buzzed, and I had that worked out with beer ( 4 beers over 3 hours - I weigh 200lbs), I'll have to experiment at my own peril with this stuff.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Heh, means you had almost 7 normal beers. Perils of high gravity brewing...

Presently I have two things on tap: a rather sweet stout that is about "normal" strength (roughly 5% ABV), and a slightly sparkling off-dry cyser (cross between mead and hard cider) that clocks in at 11.5%. One day last week DW told me she had a pint (!) of the cyser during the day.
1. Have anything "on tap" at my house would seriously increase the quality of my life while at the same time decreasing what my family thinks of me. Although I am scoping out where I'm going to put the bar in my new house.

2. I picture the kids sitting there trying to figure out what happened to mom that made her so tired
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy the russian imperial stouts an awful lot; those are about the same alcohol level as your brews Laurence...I usually keep it to one, maybe two but i'm usually losing consciousness by the end of the second one. They're good in chili!

I went into John Harvards Brew House in the framingham MA mall on a visit some years ago; not far from where I used to live before I moved to CA. They showed the gravity of all the available brews. Interesting stuff. Good food too.

Bet you're better at evaluating mutual funds with a good meal and a couple of good pints in ya...hey...i'm trying...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Shhh....DW will ask me "so what do you think we should do with this money?" and I say, "hmm, let me go up on the computer and do some research". Then I sneak a couple beers up, PM you and brewer, drink, nap, and read your replies to her in my own voice.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Bet theres a lot of convergence between my suggestions and brewers
Old 01-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

Bet theres a lot of convergence between my suggestions and brewers
I'd pay money to hear Laurence tell his wife he'd be thrilled to wear a pink tutu to the next public out ing with Tori (which would be my suggestion).

- George Orwell

Old 01-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Why look...right away we're agreeing...
Old 01-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Wait, you weren't serious - dang! Where's the delete key on this camera!!!