My 40th quarter of coverage starts Monday

obgyn65

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 40th quarter of coverage for SS purposes starts Monday 1 October, 2012.

I feel happy !

That's big. In addition to a pension, now you are eligible for Medicare. Congratulations.

If I get a SS statement that says I have earned benefits, does that mean Im eligible for medicare no matter how much my income is during all those quarters?

If I get a SS statement that says I have earned benefits, does that mean Im eligible for medicare no matter how much my income is during all those quarters?

yes.

Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (Eligibility Calculator - Questions)

Required Questions 1. Please enter your date of birth: 2. Have you worked 10 years or more in Medicare covered employment (i.e. paid FICA taxes)? (If you are not sure, please refer to your Social Security statement or visit the Social Security calculator.)
3. Are you a U.S. citizen or have you been a legal resident of the U.S. for at least 5 years?

MichaelB said:
That's big. In addition to a pension, now you are eligible for Medicare. Congratulations.

VERY big - good for you! I worked somewhere where SS was not taken, and when I looked into it, I found I had 33 credits from various jobs along the way (HS, college). So I started generating self-employment income and paid the taxes to get to 40. Still do the SE, primarily to allow continuing Roth IRA contributions (since you can't "qualify more" for Medicare once you hit 40).

An American friend of mine who lives in Europe and who married a European recently told me that she has 38 quarters from before she left the USA. I told her that when she retires from her job and her kids are grown (not too many years away), it's probably worth coming back here to work even at a minimum wage job for a few weeks that are spread over 2 quarters.

Congratulations! That 40th quarter is an important one.

Back
Top Bottom