Join Early Retirement Today

My Advanta Business Card is closing
Old 05-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My Advanta Business Card is closing

It's closing, due to an independent trust which owns the balances on these cards is going to stop funding this particular business card I have. It is a MasterCard which has really come in handy as it's designated BusinessCard features have offered benefits over the years. I suspect the recent credit card changes were a result of this.
Question, I am seeking a card which is a MasterCard (if possible) and want one with a low APR (if possible) and hope someone can suggest a good web site so I can review & possibly sign up? Anyone with similar problems or experiences in getting a new card would be appreciated....
danno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also received this letter, although I stopped using this card a few years ago. Why is it important to have a Mastercard as opposed to Visa,etc? I have a no fee business Am Ex card that has better benefits than the Advanta card.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Administrator

I don't see why you prefer mastercard over visa (btw, I used to have an Advanta card as well).

Have you tried here for comparing credit cards?

Credit Cards | Best Credit Card Offers | Low APR Interest Rewards | Bad Credit Application Secured Apply Compare Report Score
Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Well....it isn't MANDATORY to get a MasterCard....I'm just a creature of habit. As for AmEx, I looked into them once (Salt Lake City, right?) and they seemed very "stuffy"....couldn't make minimum monthly payments, have an anual fee and didn't offer me much of a credit line. Which is why I wanted to stick with MC as my credit limit was $16K.....any other advice, much appreciated. I will look at that list btw. Oh yeah, also, should I make a balance transfer to another card, or just open one up outright?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

By the way, see the 9th card down on this page - it has an APR of 7.25%, no annual fee and they accept balance transfers. It's a Visa.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why concern yourself with the APR - go for the highest rewards. Visa seems to be accepted by more places than AMEX, so I have one of each.

Pay in full, let the CC companies pay you, why borrow money from them at those rates?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

What type of "rewards" are you getting ERD? Elaborate if possible? I had a GM card once....you spend & charge etc. only never to get the proper amount of so-called points. Look at what's happening to GM now....I wonder what THOSE card holders think these days? Like other cards giving you "bonus" reward points to earn air miles....I flew & flew thinking I had built up enough points to cash them in and no such luck. I look at those rewards as just incentives to get you to sign up. I don't
spend a ton on my card...look at it as more of a convenience to keep all that I spend/charge on one single payment. I'm more than happy to pay the APR if it's a respectable % so it's no big deal from that standpoint.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sam's club for one accepts Mastercard but not Visa. That's the only place I have seen to take only one of MC or VISA and not the other.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Administrator

Cash Back Rewards Credit Cards

Cash Back Credit Cards with Best Rewards - CreditCardGuide.com

https://www.penfed.org/productsandra...ewardcards.asp

Visa Platinum Gas Cash Reward

Earn 2% cash back on supermarket purchases*
Earn 5.00% cash back from gas purchases paid at the pump*
Earn 1.25% cash back from all purchases** you make with the card during each billing cycle
Up to $50,000 limit
No Annual Fee
Cash Rewards credited each month
No special restrictions to earn your cash rewards
Limited Time- Balance Trasfer of 2.99% APR for the life of the
transferred balance †
Limited Time- 5.00% cash back on your first $4000 of airfare purchases per month.***
Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Hhoooooly cripes Al! I currently have a $16,ooo credit limit on this one expiring at end of May and owe $800 on it, I ought to make a balance tranfer....your thoughts

Hhhhooooooly cow
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno1 View Post
What type of "rewards" are you getting ERD? Elaborate if possible? I had a GM card once....you spend & charge etc. only never to get the proper amount of so-called points. Look at what's happening to GM now....I wonder what THOSE card holders think these days? Like other cards giving you "bonus" reward points to earn air miles....I flew & flew thinking I had built up enough points to cash them in and no such luck. I look at those rewards as just incentives to get you to sign up. I don't
spend a ton on my card...look at it as more of a convenience to keep all that I spend/charge on one single payment. I'm more than happy to pay the APR if it's a respectable % so it's no big deal from that standpoint.
Alan gave some good links, but yes, I stick with cash rebates. My first card is a sliding scale up to 1.5%. My second card is with Amazon, 1% on all purchases, 3% on Amazon purchases. Only redeemable through Amazon, but that has never been an issue for us - I like 'em and if they don't have the best price I go elsewhere. We still use all the rewards w/o a problem.

I don't understand how you can be "happy" paying interest at CC rates? 2.99% would be fine, but I suspect there must be some very fine print in there.

Best way to get the rewards up is to charge everything you can (that you would normally buy anyhow), I just added it up, and it looks like over half of our annual spending is through the CCs. Can't do taxes, utilities, my health ins or mortgage, but just about everything else. I can't remember the last time I got cash at an ATM.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote