Join Early Retirement Today

My Bellco Boost Checking Account Yields 2.25% APR!
Old 09-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

My Bellco Boost Checking Account Yields 2.25% APR!

I'm a retired AT&T Bell Labs/Lucent Technologies/Avaya software engineer and I've been a member of the Bellco Credit Union, in the Denver area, since 1982. Although Bellco was created for Bell System employees, now they let everybody join. A week ago, I learned about Bellco's Boost checking account, which yields 2.25% APR, on the first $25K, and 0.25% on the balance greater than $25K! The 2.25% yield beats the other Bellco accounts, that are available to me, by a factor of ten! However, it may not make sense to keep much more than $25K in a Boost account.

My Boost account doesn't have a minimum balance but, if I don't jump through a few hoops each month, there isn't a penalty fee, but my account will yield only 0.05% APR for that month! Here's what I need to do each month:
  1. I need to make at least 15 debit card purchases. Until a week ago, I've never owned a debit card and, after what happened at Target, I did some research and learned that, if I use my debit card like a credit card, no PIN is required and the transaction is as secure as using a credit card. My Bellco debit card has the same security chip technology that all credit cards are required to have today. For the last week, I used my debit card for all purchases that I used to make on my Discover card and I haven't had to enter my PIN! However, I'll continue to use my Discover card for online purchases and for in-store purchases that require a PIN with my debit card.
  2. I need to make at least one electronic deposit into my Boost checking account. So I'm having my pension deposited into my new account.
  3. I need to log-in to my Bellco account online (I already do this).
I read that high-yielding checking accounts, like my Bellco Boost account, are widely available. So those of you outside of the Denver area might be able to find a similar checking account!

Good Luck!
ethernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know an easier way to get the same or more, $562.50, that you would get from the account each year. Instead of using a debit card, use a 2% cash back credit card for those same 15+ transactions a month. We bank about $1000 a year without the downside of if you miss a month.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I really hate those games of make X debit card purchases per month.
Makes me want to go the the grocery store and buy a dozen donuts and 3 cupcakes one at a time...

I closed a bank account because of that stupidity..
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I really hate those games of make X debit card purchases per month.
Makes me want to go the the grocery store and buy a dozen donuts and 3 cupcakes one at a time...

I closed a bank account because of that stupidity..
Yep. I closed a local credit union account because I was making more with the cash back credit cards. A lot more, if you included the sign-up bonuses. I was also offended by their relationship with a small, high fee financial services group. The CU advertises these salespeople as "financial advisers."
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have two of these accounts from two credit unions right now. I like to say we earn the money. LOL But if you are only doing one I guess it would be easy.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote