Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm debating whether to call and ask whether I can now opt out -- I'm not sure it's worth the aggravation.
I can totally understand, especially since you'd have even more of an uphill battle than me - since you didn't get the letter with the option in it...tough call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Simple Girl, baffling a credit card issuer by going "off the script" is something I can relate to.
Some time later, I told this story to a friend of mine at the time who happened to work for a bank's credit card department. I told her about the conversation and she told me they have a script they read from whenever a customer gives a certain, typical reply. But my "I never signed the card and never used the card" reply was not anywhere on that script which is why the rep knew to give it up and end the call.

Fast forward to 2009 and I still never signed or used the card. Discover finally wrote me to tell me they were going to close the card for inactivity. Really? But I still get mailings from them once in a while trying to woo me back? Really.
That is a funny story! I'll have to think of more "off script" replies to have on hand the next time I have to deal with one of these calls. Dang, wish I would have lied and told him our mortgage was all paid off, too...LOL. That woulda really stumped him. It's easy to forget how those of us on this forum are truly in the minority when it comes to responsible financial behavior.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
That is a funny story! I'll have to think of more "off script" replies to have on hand the next time I have to deal with one of these calls.
A few years ago, I decided that listening to these spiels for the sake of politeness was really not doing any favor to the poor soul in the call-center, so now I end them very quickly. It's just: No, sorry, I'm not interested, thanks. Then I hang up immediately. It only takes a few seconds.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
A few years ago, I decided that listening to these spiels for the sake of politeness was really not doing any favor to the poor soul in the call-center, so now I end them very quickly. It's just: No, sorry, I'm not interested, thanks. Then I hang up immediately. It only takes a few seconds.
True, that is how I usually handle it, too...but I needed this guy to file my opt out papers...gah! He had a captive audience and tried to make the best of it. LOL

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #24

Quote:
I don't give them the time I used to way back then, either. I often get calls from my phone company and cable TV company wanting me to buy one of their costlier "bundles" of phone/cable/internet services I now have parts of from each one. I am no longer afraid to say no thanks and hang up on them mid-sentence.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #25

Quote:
We always say - please put on your "Do Not Call" list before hanging up.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Amythist,
We have an Italian butcher shop/liquor store in our town that only takes cash. Their prices are on average 20% less than anyplace else around.

Kind of funny, but we drive across town on occasion to take advantage of the good prices. We are not alone, there is always a long line of serious drinkers lined up to buy their booze in mass quantities. It is an interesting adventure.

Take care,

JP