My FIRE portfolio

OldAgePensioner said:
Ben,
Thanks for the explanation.

I like the idea of saving money by drinking cheap beer.  A book on how to do that might make a lot of cash.  "How To Earn Millions Drinking Beer".

Put me down for 6 copies.

Skol

I.e. a six-pack! :p

Hi mikew,

Ben
Can I ask you how you are able to hold US onshore funds like vanguard equity income fund?
From what I have read on the boards you are a non-resident alien in terms of US taxes. There are some funds I would like to buy but vanguard told me non-US residents can’t hold onshore funds only ETF’s.

As I understand it, you are a US citizen in Japan, like me.
Try TD Waterhouse. They let me buy funds as well as
ETFs.

Bpp

Hey bpp and mike - when are you guys coming to Thailand to visit Lancelot and I for a portfolio theory meeting? :D
Unless you also have a place in Japan with all you can drink beer for 2.5$!? :D
Cheers!

ben said:
Hey bpp and mike - when are you guys coming to Thailand to visit Lancelot and I for a portfolio theory meeting? :D
Cheers!

Don't forget me.
I wonder if I can deduct a part of my travel expense for the scheduled portfolio meeting? :confused: ;)

Hi ben,

For me, it would be just as soon as I can get my wife to sign off on that investment expense...

Depends on what you mean by "beer." There are varieties of beer-like substances that are sold here, which have reduced malt so that they are legally not beer and hence have lower taxes on them. They sell for around $1.25 per can, and $2.50 worth is just about all I can drink. :p

Bpp

MJ; you are in!
Bpp; that s... sounds SCARY! We are talking Beer Chang (meaning elephant in Thai) was created in coorporation with Carlsberg originally to compeed with Singha (Thai "national" beer) and is now the best selling beer in Thailand. Originally it was very strong/bitter but they have adjusted the taste to go for a broader market in the last couple of years. About 6% in strength. (and no malt reduction! :p).

Bring your wife!

Cheers!

bpp said:
Hi ben,

For me, it would be just as soon as I can get my wife to sign off on that investment expense...

Depends on what you mean by "beer."  There are varieties of beer-like substances that are sold here, which have reduced malt so that they are legally not beer and hence have lower taxes on them.  They sell for around $1.25 per can, and $2.50 worth is just about all I can drink.  :p

Bpp

As I understand it, you are a US citizen in Japan, like me.
Try TD Waterhouse. They let me buy funds as well as
ETFs.

bpp
Thanks for the information I will look into it. Right now we are schwab. They have an account in tokyo citibank so we can just send (furikomi) the money there and it is deposited in our account. Also, they have Japanese language support and the Japanese wife feels safe with that.

Mike

Hey bpp and mike - when are you guys coming to Thailand to visit Lancelot and I for a portfolio theory meeting?
Unless you also have a place in Japan with all you can drink beer for 2.5$!?
Cheers!

Ben
In the same boat as bpp. Wife is onto overseas business trips. Ohio ok, Thailand may take a while.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom