Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was half joking.

When people are in their late 40s or early 50s, that's when they start to think seriously about retirement.

But workers in their 20s or 30s have other more pressing needs, and retirement is something so far ahead. At that age, I was busy building my career and raising children, and all I did was to stuff my 401k to the max in addition to having after-tax savings.

The only advice that could benefit me then was to be in stock and not having so much in fixed income. Other than that, there was not much I could do differently.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
On a related note, it appears that at the default assumptions, when one uses 3% vs. CPI, the numbers come out a bit worse.
So mechanically if one uses 3%, does the 3% rate effectively substitute for the actual CPI in those 80's inflation years?
Yes
Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Yes
Thanks, so with that thought, I would think the lowest asset level (Firecalc) with the 3% inflation rate assumption would have been better than the asset level with the historical 1966 retiree using actual CPI.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, so with that thought, I would think the lowest asset level (Firecalc) with the 3% inflation rate assumption would have been better than the asset level with the historical 1966 retiree using actual CPI.
I just went and tried a few runs with similar results which, at first glance, does not correspond with the understanding I developed over the years (or at least the way I remember it). I'll have to go back and play a bit.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just did the option to download a spreadsheet for a starting year, so I did two for 1966. One with the Spending Models tab (had trouble finding it!) set to CPI, one with 3%. edit/add: I used $1,000,000 starting portfolio for easy math, $40,000 start for 4% WR, and 30 years (spreadsheet requires it)

I'm not too familiar with these spreadsheet outputs, but it sure looks like inflation was the killer for 1966, and way worse than a constant 3%.

For the CPI, I get (excuse poor formatting please):

Period - Inflation Factor - Infl Adj W/D - Starting Portfolio
1966 1.035 $40,691.82 $958,616.35
1995 4.855 $194,213.84 -$1,411,685.64

For constant 3%, I get...

1966 1.0300 $40,600.00 $958,800.00
1995 2.4273 $97,090.50 $2,688,451.12

Seems to make sense, 1.03^30 is 2.4273, so the actual inflation for 30 years of 4.855 seems to pass the smell test?

So with 3% inflation, the 1966 retiree would have been golden, instead of broke in ~ year 24 of 30.

The success rate stayed at 95% - but two possible explanations for that. One is that "success rate" doesn't give a lot of resolution, there could be a fairly big gap between 95% and 94%, and/or, some years may have just traded places. 1966 'wins', but a year that barely passed with an average 2% inflation losses now at 3%?

Check my work, as I said I am not very familiar with the spreadsheet output. But this seems to add up to me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Yes I think so. The worse result is from the magic of compounding.

Contrary to a lot of commenters here and on BH who seem to think 4-5% is "normal" based on overweighting the 1970s experience, the long-term inflation rate for the U.S. is less than 3%. https://www.multpl.com/inflation

EDIT - "long-term" approximating the period considered in FIRECalc.
I would just like to point out that the 'published' consumer price index, and other published inflation rates from US official sources are, IMHO, biased to make inflation look lower than it is. Whether you believe this or not, what matters is YOUR personal inflation rate. What do you spend your money on, and in what fractions? For example, if you spend 33% annually on medical, and it goes up 8% a year, then your personal inflation rate may well be higher than 3% average.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only thing you're missing is if the military/government goes south. Sadly, that's what happened to many private pensions. Even those with a $1M saved would have to cut their spending quite a bit.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote