Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My Klipsch Speaker Forum has over 25,000 members vs. less than 4,000 ER memb
Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: My Klipsch Speaker Forum has over 25,000 members vs. less than 4,000 ER memb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
How many actually post And what can you discuss after a bit

I had two BILs that had Klipsch... and they were BIG a$$ speakers... they had good sound, but was not quite right... and one of them was a tube guy!!

One BIL is divorced, so have not heard anything about him in years.. the other went to Legacy... better speakers IMO... more clear sound.. but like any audio, it is in the ear of the beholder..
I have owned a couple pairs of Legacy Speakers. They put more money in their cabinets, but that's about it. They are not considered 'audiophile' speakers by most. But they will sound better with Solid State amps than Klipschorns will.

IF the large Klipsch speakers did not sound right, it is my guess that they were overpowered. They are very efficient speakers and I drive mine with 2 watt SET tube amplifiers. If they were powered with Solid State amplifiers, they would sound like a bandsaw. - Just awful. I have Klipschorns that fit into a corner - The amplification is critical to sound quality. Hook up a powerful solid state amp to them and you will cover your ears.

What do you discuss after a bit - you ask? - The multitudes of amplifer topology. Most build their own. Speaker crossovers. Room acoustics - the subject is endless. This would be akin to asking what you discuss on a retirement forum -- 'How to adjust your chair on the beach?'

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: My Klipsch Speaker Forum has over 25,000 members vs. less than 4,000 ER members.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: My Klipsch Speaker Forum has over 25,000 members vs. less than 4,000 ER members.

I had a friend back in the 70's who built a pair of Klipshorns from scratch. They were awesome.

I never got into horns, but the best sounding speaker I ever heard in my life I built out of a discarded open-back TV cabinet (21" B/W Westinghouse if I recall correctly) when they were still made out of wood, with 6" full-range drivers from some surplus electronics outlet, driven by a home-brew 6V6 single-ended amplifier, (6AQ5 -> 6V6). My old Garrard turntable with ceramic cartridge drove the amp directly. I can still remember blasting Who's Next at full overdrive through this rig, and I believe to this day that this was a contributing factor to my mother's early demise (just kidding).

I'm not kidding. The first set of home-brew speakers always sound the best, and you spend the rest of your life trying to recreate that sound!

My best-sounding guitar amp cabinet was a 12" woofer mounted on top of a steel garbage can!

Yeah, my hearing's shot!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearly50
Yeah, my hearing's shot!
So is mine: Rock and Roll as a youth, firearms, and fireworks. I am very careful about hearing protection now that the horse is out of the barn.

I hang out on a Ford diesel truck web page and the young'uns are are all upset about the "low quality" speakers on the stock stereos in their trucks. I am quite happy with mine as now they all sound the same to me: no highs due to tinnitus.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the key phrase that turns most away is "Early." There was an article today that said 20% of people plan to work until they die. Of the rest, most can't conceive of "early" retirement, even if thinking about early retirement will help them plan for any retirement age. But to most working stiffs, the idea of early retirement implies getting laid off, being a bum, or being rich.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire
I think the key phrase that turns most away is "Early." There was an article today that said 20% of people plan to work until they die. Of the rest, most can't conceive of "early" retirement, even if thinking about early retirement will help them plan for any retirement age. But to most working stiffs, the idea of early retirement implies getting laid off, being a bum, or being rich.
I think you are right. I have friends who say they'll never stop working, ever. I just llisten and smile. I do not share my ER dreams with anyone except my wife.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I have owned a couple pairs of Legacy Speakers. They put more money in their cabinets, but that's about it. They are not considered 'audiophile' speakers by most. But they will sound better with Solid State amps than Klipschorns will.

IF the large Klipsch speakers did not sound right, it is my guess that they were overpowered. They are very efficient speakers and I drive mine with 2 watt SET tube amplifiers. If they were powered with Solid State amplifiers, they would sound like a bandsaw. - Just awful. I have Klipschorns that fit into a corner - The amplification is critical to sound quality. Hook up a powerful solid state amp to them and you will cover your ears.

What do you discuss after a bit - you ask? - The multitudes of amplifer topology. Most build their own. Speaker crossovers. Room acoustics - the subject is endless. This would be akin to asking what you discuss on a retirement forum -- 'How to adjust your chair on the beach?'
One of them had the K-horn and IIRC had 10 watt tube... the other was the next level down (did not need the corner wall)... he used solid state...

I listened to some of the cheaper (normal sized) ones and they sounded good, but that horn was just a bit to much.. got ear fatigue quickly.

With the Legacy, the mids and highs seem so much more crisp and I don't have an ear ache afterwards...

I am most definately not an audiophile.. but if they don't go there...IMO I don't think Klipsch would be there either... nor most of the speakers that are in the local audio shop..

But, I do have a tin ear, so what do I know...
Old 05-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #27

Quote:
One of them had the K-horn and IIRC had 10 watt tube... the other was the next level down (did not need the corner wall)... he used solid state...

I listened to some of the cheaper (normal sized) ones and they sounded good, but that horn was just a bit to much.. got ear fatigue quickly.

With the Legacy, the mids and highs seem so much more crisp and I don't have an ear ache afterwards...

I am most definately not an audiophile.. but if they don't go there...IMO I don't think Klipsch would be there either... nor most of the speakers that are in the local audio shop..

But, I do have a tin ear, so what do I know...
The Klipschorn is one of the finest speakers ever made. It has stood the test of time since 1949. It is however amplifier dependent. Hook the wrong amplifer up to them and you will get an ear ache as you describe. Hook a low power SET amplifier to them and you will hear detail, transient speed and lush sound like no other.

I hooked a pair of highly regarded $2K solid state amps to my Khorns a couple months ago thinking I could use the extra power for movies, but they were totally unlistenable even for movies. Horn speakers are very unforgiving. If there is anything in the music chain that is not 'right' they will let you know it.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Are your tube amps class-A. Were the ss amps class-A?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Are your tube amps class-A. Were the ss amps class-A?

Yes and Yes.

- The problem is in distortion. Even order (S.S.) vs. Odd order (Tube) distortion. - Most Solid State amps that have 100 watts per channel are measured for distortion in their 'sweet spot' (about 10 watts) - With efficient speakers you are running the amps in the low end which is crummy.

Also Even order distortion is very unpleasant to the human ear. Audio is far more complicated that one thinks. As in the other finer things in life --- Wine, Women and Song - all more complicated than you can describe.........
Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I'm confused now. Big speakers used to be good in the 1980s but I thought that today only little speakers were good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
So is mine: Rock and Roll as a youth, firearms, and fireworks. I am very careful about hearing protection now that the horse is out of the barn.
Typical scene from modern submarine life: pulling off the headphones and pulling out the earplugs as you leave the engine room, because your chain of command keeps telling you that those loud noises will destroy your high-frequency hearing. Then you plug in a personal audio player at max volume. I'm glad I retired before iPods started showing up at sea.

My hearing is fine, and I listen just as well as I ever have...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What? You say something??

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #32

I don't know what Klipsch's cost, but my guess is you aren't "LBYM" when you buy them. The idea that people who LBYM are in a minority is nothing new.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
I don't know what Klipsch's cost, but my guess is you aren't "LBYM" when you buy them. The idea that people who LBYM are in a minority is nothing new.
Actually in the world of high-end audio Klipsch speakers are cheap. Klipschorns can be found used for about $2500 a pair. That is what I paid for mine. The transportation is the problem. I drove 300 miles one way to pick up mine in Milwaukee. There are plenty of speakers that cost a lot more. Klipsch speakers are a bargain.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Klipschorn is one of the finest speakers ever made. It has stood the test of time since 1949. It is however amplifier dependent. Hook the wrong amplifer up to them and you will get an ear ache as you describe. Hook a low power SET amplifier to them and you will hear detail, transient speed and lush sound like no other.

I hooked a pair of highly regarded $2K solid state amps to my Khorns a couple months ago thinking I could use the extra power for movies, but they were totally unlistenable even for movies. Horn speakers are very unforgiving. If there is anything in the music chain that is not 'right' they will let you know it.

Maybe that is the problem.... the BIL who had the tubes got divorced from my sister when I was about 5 or 6.... so I can not say how 'good' they were.. I do know that my sister told me that the neighbors knew when he was playing the stereo as they could hear the difference between his and some of the other poser even in thier house...

But, I don't want to spend the money etc. AND, I don't have a big enough room for K Horns...

As for the smaller Klipsch... why bother if you need tubes to make them sound good.. pay a small price for speakers and a high price for an amp...

BTW, I do agree that they can pump out the sound... but I am older and do not need to have my ears bleed to listen to music... I am happy with what I have as I am sure you are with your setup...
Old 05-10-2007, 11:41 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

My hearing is fine, and I listen just as well as I ever have...
From what I read... probably not.... it seems teenagers can hear a high frequency that adults can not hear... someone invented IIRC something called a mosquito that is at that frequency which irritates the heck out of teenages.. but adults can not hear it at all...

Maybe you can hear the rest of the frequencies just as well, but I think that high one is a function of age... maybe Doc from Tampa can chime in...
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
A good quality speaker will outlive our ears. Amortize the expense over 20 years or so, and I am very happy with my decisions to spend a few $$$$ on stereo equipment. A heck of a lot cheaper than a lot of other monthly expenditures.

Magnepan 1.6Q - great speakers IMO, ~ $1500. I think I paid about $400 for a used high end amp to drive them.

Getting goosebumps listening to great music - priceless.

-ERD50

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes and Yes.

- The problem is in distortion. Even order (S.S.) vs. Odd order (Tube) distortion. - Most Solid State amps that have 100 watts per channel are measured for distortion in their 'sweet spot' (about 10 watts) - With efficient speakers you are running the amps in the low end which is crummy.

Also Even order distortion is very unpleasant to the human ear. Audio is far more complicated that one thinks. As in the other finer things in life --- Wine, Women and Song - all more complicated than you can describe.........
Certainly entirely different animals, but most guitar players prefer tube amps, because of these characteristics. The tubes distort slowly; transistors not so. Just sounds "sweeter".

Wow, a 100w class-A amp!! Must have one hell of a transformer...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
From what I read... probably not.... it seems teenagers can hear a high frequency that adults can not hear... someone invented IIRC something called a mosquito that is at that frequency which irritates the heck out of teenages.. but adults can not hear it at all...
Maybe you can hear the rest of the frequencies just as well, but I think that high one is a function of age... maybe Doc from Tampa can chime in...
Well, I have the hearing tests to show that I'm only 10-15 db off the baselines I had when I left college. We engineroom nukes were frequently examined for hearing losses and even got our own custom-fitted earplugs.

High-freq sensitivity does decline with age, but in my house I'm the one who hears the annoying whines. I don't know how many times people have been giving me weird stares as I protest "C'mon, can't you hear that?!?" However I'm starting to have trouble picking conversations out of high background noises.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, I have the hearing tests to show that I'm only 10-15 db off the baselines I had when I left college. We engineroom nukes were frequently examined for hearing losses and even got our own custom-fitted earplugs.

High-freq sensitivity does decline with age, but in my house I'm the one who hears the annoying whines. I don't know how many times people have been giving me weird stares as I protest "C'mon, can't you hear that?!?" However I'm starting to have trouble picking conversations out of high background noises.
Then you seem to be the exception... and there always are some...

You know how you can not read fine print when you get older... well, I had a 55 YO boss who did not lose anything... LOVED to have things printed in small small print so it could fit on one page... drove me batty..

Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I think many folks are living day to day, living beyond their means, getting into debt and they don't think about retirement planning. Most of my working friends are putting a small percentage of their income into their employment based 401k or 403B and they think that is enough.

So foolish but you can't tell them.