Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats and enjoy your retirement.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #23

What a great way to put your j*b behind you. Now on to new and better times.

Love your volunteer work at the Nature Center.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #24

Congrats! A perfect day indeed!

Where do I apply for such a sweet gig? ;-) I can telecommute for the assignment in India for US benefits and your schedule!
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #25
gone traveling

Congratulations! Sounds like you have it well-orchestrated.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #26

Wonderful post! Congratulations.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Touche' Running Bum!!

I am seriously jealous of a last day work schedule like that! Skiing, Brewskis & lotsa Fun!! You know how to do it Right!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Take me with you.

Please.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Y'all are my inspiration to cash out some day, hopefully sooner rather than later.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Take me with you.

Please.

Welcome to the board Groovy!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks. Long time lurker. I'll post in the "Hi, I am" forum eventually.

Sorry to sound whiny and self-centered in your thread, RunningBum. Congratulations, and best wishes in your retirement!
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Whew! It's done. No surprises, but not everything went on schedule.

First, my boss was late to the 8am call because his 7:30 started late. He did IM me at 8:03 to let me know.

Then I needed to scan my signed copy of a letter he sent, and my scanner wouldn't work. I forgot all about the suggestion in another thread to use a digital camera, and wound up using a neighbors fax.

Then on the 2nd ski run of the day, I got to the bottom, and saw a ski sliding towards me from way uphill. It crashed into the lift line barrier and I recognized it as one owned by a guy I was skiing with. I carried it back up on the lift so he wouldn't have to walk down, and was going to give him grief about it but then saw from the lift it looked like half his face was bloody. It was actually a lot worse looking than it really was, his sun glasses just dug into his face and he cleaned it up and continued skiing. It was such a nice ski day, and we've got 2 weeks of warm weather moving in, that we decided to ski through lunch and defer the brewpub lunch til next week.

Most importantly, there were no surprises in the meeting with the HR person. I actually had a pleasant surprise a couple weeks ago when my boss told me I would be getting 2 more months (at half-time pay) than we had agreed to, and this meeting confirmed the extra pay. Yay!

The HR person couldn't answer all of my questions so I've got to talk to some benefits people, but these are things that add up to just a few hundred dollars and I don't expect to get them, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It's things like health incentives that they would be adding to my HSA in April. So I will have to login a couple times in the next few days, but I'm not touching any work.

So a few blips, but success none the less!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for sharing. Congrats on getting it done!

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like a great last day.
I'm also envious of you training for the Boston Marathon. It is on my bucket list but I'm not sure I can post a qualifying time.
Enjoy your retirement.
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Know what's so cool about this? You're now in control of your life. That's a great feeling. To be free to live your life without someone telling you where to be and what to do.

Congrats again RunningBum. You've worked hard and now is the time to live life the way you want to. Go for it!

Oh, and please keep us posted too
Old 02-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love happy endings!
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Very cool. I'm going to join you on the 28th. Maybe we can hoist a virtual cold one.
JmfromTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Most excellent! I add my congratulations to the pile!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What next? Short term I've got to go sign my revised will the next day, go on a ski trip to Utah 10 days later, finish my taxes, increase my training for the Boston marathon, close out the local ski season, move my 401K, figure out a partial Roth conversion, move my HSA, and re-balance my AA with all of these moves.

Longer term, I'm going to add more cross-training (weights, swimming) to my running; more time volunteering at the local nature center; slowly getting around to projects I've put off around the house, including more work on my model train layout; more reading; hmm, that sounds like enough, don't really want to rush into too much, just enjoy a life of leisure for awhile.
Beautiful way to close out a chapter in your life, especially the excerpt above. Congrats!!!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #40
Administrator

Well done Running Bum!