Join Early Retirement Today

My one year retirement results
Old 04-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't wait so I did some figuring to see what the results are after one year. End of April (4 days) will be one year in retirement and I couldn't wait to run the numbers to get an idea where we are at.

Budget for the year is lower then I figured from 35K it will be 33K. My WR was .6% of my portfolio which is lower then we figured also. It looks like 8.8% return on my portfolio which is far more then I ever thought it would be.

Last year in February till now the market went from 15000 to 20000 so it really was a good year. Not every year will be that good. As of today my portfolio is 280K more then one year ago and that has all expenses out of that number for the year.

These numbers are close and will do the numbers next weekend and see where it is for sure but this gives me an idea. I'm very happy because I really didn't know what to expect these first few years.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

enjoy every minute of your retirement,
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:58 AM   #3

Street; if $33,000 equals a withdrawal rate of .6, then by interpolation, your portfolio is about $5,500,000. Or if $280,000 plus $33,000 represents an 8.8% return, your portfolio is about $3,500,000. Either way, you could open up the purse strings a tad. 😁

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #4

congrats. As others have implied, I think you are there plus some.

I could not get my spending plan down that low easily and really have not tried. I assume $10k for health insurance and $10k more to cover max out of pocket. We've only had 2 years with really high health expense: when my son had to have his hand reconstructed and when I had a pacemaker installed. So, not a typical thing, but I plan that way.

I also put some budget item for car replacement. I spread this out over time instead of planning guessing the year we will actually purchase one and guessing the actual cost.

Have you estimated how long a 0.6% withdraw rate will make your nest egg last?

enjoy your retirement
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post

Have you estimated how long a 0.6% withdraw rate will make your nest egg last?
Um........forever?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You are not spending enough money. Assuming your did not inherit $5M at 25 years old you probably only have 10-20 healthy years left. You could easily spend at least $100K. You should find a good charity and give them $50K a year. There are terribly unfortunate people out there, abused women and children. People with out clean water or medicine just because they were born in the wrong country.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Um........forever?
+1 that was my point
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Golden sunsets >>> yes you are totally right. I do a part-time summer work and my wife does a small job and we added about 14K and withdrew 18.5K so sorry the whole story wasn't included.
I was very nervous and concerned when I retired but I did know I could make it. I saved and saved all my life and I hated to spend any off it. Lol

These numbers are very close but will tune them up this weekend. I thank everyone for helping me take the jump it can be done.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
These numbers are very close but will tune them up this weekend. I thank everyone for helping me take the jump it can be done.
street, What's your HC situation? Retiree HC? DW's insurance plan? ACA? Just curious about what you've experienced in a year related to HC.

Thanks and congrats on your 1-year anniversary!
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

@street, congratulations on a comfortable maiden voyage.

I would caution you, though, to not get too emotionally involved with one or two years of investing results. If you look at some history graphs, like 10/19/87, the tech bubble, 2007/8, etc. you will see that very exciting things can happen and that it often takes several years for markets to recover. The standard rap for amateur investors is that they get frightened and sell into a down market, then buy into an up market because they don't want to miss the action. Buy high, sell low, in other words. That's not recommended.

IMO the way to prevent this is to have a "bucket" of 3 or more years of expected expenses, invested conservatively in cash or near-cash assets like a short govvie bond ladder. Then you can view your main portfolio with equanimity. Replenish the bucket as necessary in good market years and let it ride in bad years. Establish the AA in your main portfolio to suit your stomach's tolerance for volatility, then relax and enjoy your retirement.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the advise and I am doing most things you have mentioned. I do have a liquid/cash accounts that I live on and no investments are being touched at this time. I do understand that this has been a great ride and that one reason for being very conservative and having a low WR.
As far as needing to spend more I will do it in time but we have everything we need and don't need to spend more at this time. It will come a time when we will.
I am on a Board of Directors for a large Foundation so charity is a big part of my life and will continue doing more as time goes on.
Numbers can look good today and very bad the next so I'm always aware of that.
Carpediem >>>> I have ACA for HI coverage.
include me in ur charity
Old 04-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #12

include me in ur charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Thanks for the advise and I am doing most things you have mentioned. I do have a liquid/cash accounts that I live on and no investments are being touched at this time. I do understand that this has been a great ride and that one reason for being very conservative and having a low WR.
As far as needing to spend more I will do it in time but we have everything we need and don't need to spend more at this time. It will come a time when we will.
I am on a Board of Directors for a large Foundation so charity is a big part of my life and will continue doing more as time goes on.
Numbers can look good today and very bad the next so I'm always aware of that.
im 6'6" 312 pounds, bald, id be glad to accept a hair transplant i was told about 35,000 would cover it, , or sponsor me in a fat farm i think i would need about 2 years, as a thank you, i would promote your charity to anyone that asks.
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
im 6'6" 312 pounds, bald, id be glad to accept a hair transplant ...
Dude, we old bald guys are invisible now. It's like a superpower. Own it, don't try to change it.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Dude, we old bald guys are invisible now.
I don't think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
im 6'6" 312 pounds...