Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My rebate suspicions confirmed
Old 02-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been screwed by Fry's also.... and by Best Buy a long time ago...

Fry's was for two reasons.. I bought a phone with a $5 rebate... but had it sit around for a couple of weeks as I was giving it to my mom... well, the form said you had 5 days to mail it in!!!

Got me off my a$$ and I sent in the $50 rebate for a monitor on the last day... got rejected. sent emails, got rejected, called, no answer, went to Fry's and was told 'that rebate is no longer available'... I said OF COURSE NOT, you have delayed it so long...

Best Buy was a couple of small rebates. Sent them in on time to the vendor, nothing. Calls etc., nothing. Called up Best Buy to see if they could help as there were STILL selling the stuff with the rebate... they told me 'that is between you and the other company'... I said 'you are ADVERTISING the rebate and should at least help me out'... well, they said nope... Have not bought anything from them in over 15 years... now Fry's is on my no buy list.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

That sucks. A lot of retailers will pay a valid rebate if the manufacturer wont. Quick call to the BBB and state attorney generals office usually resolves it. I know staples has been known to pay a deadbeat manufacturers rebates.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

CFB... yes, I agree.. with BB I went up to a regional manager and he was not willing to even talk to the company for a $15 rebate...

At least Fry's people called etc. and tried to get me the rebate, so they were better. However, I said that their name was all over the rebate form and that if they wanted me as a customer send me a check... no check... but, I am not stupid and would buy something from either of these two if the price was better than someone else... but so far someone else will match or be better

The part I hate about this whole rebate game is that they advertise it so much but pay out so little... they put so many hoops in the way for you to get your money it is crazy... the example is my phone with only 5 days from purchase to postmark... but the rebate time period was three months. So any time in that 3 month time period you had 5 days!!!

Considering how much it 'cost' to get a customer, you would think that these places would be a bit more honest in giving you your rebate.

OH, almost forgot my Pizza Hut guarantee... they had the pan pizza a long time ago... get it in 15 minutes or the next one is free... mine took 30 minutes and I asked them about it... they said I never ordered it, then said I had not paid for it... well, they finally gave me the one I had ordered and paid for, but would not give me the next one free... that was about 20 years ago and the only time I have been back is if I 'had to' with others
Old 02-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the past my approach was just to send in the rebates and usually I get it. If not I figured it wasn't worth my time to chase it.

But recently I've been hearing lots of horror stories about rebates, and it really does seem like the processors are getting more aggressive about falsely rejecting rebates. So recently I've been paying more attention.

Tigerdirect rejected two out of the four rebates I sent in.

One was rejected because I sent two rebates to the same address in the same envelope. Their rules that I didn't read thoroughly enough say you have to send each in a separate envelope. I called up and told them okay, send me the stuff back and I'll send it back to you in two envelopes. They said Uh, No.

The second was rejected because they said I enclosed the wrong UPC code. I specifically remember enclosing the only UPC code on the box, and I know the difference between a UPC and other barcodes. So I think this is pure BS. After badgering them a bit about it they agreed to fax me what they received but said it might take a while. Three weeks later I haven't received the fax.

My attitude is generally that I should chase these things down if only to make it more expensive for them to not pay the rebate (in customer service expense) than to pay the rebate. But perhaps I need to just let go of that crusader trip and accept that since the vast majority of people don't chase their rebates, my little protest is not going to make much difference.

I do think that this is an under-regulated area... we need laws that give an independent redress route for people who can prove they followed the rebate requirements. And we need laws saying that they can't impose arbitrary hoops, that the hoops need to be things that actually are needed to process the rebate.

So I have been channelling my energy into writing my elected representatives asking for better regulation, and posting negative feedback against tigerdirect at the ftc website and other feedback sites.

free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beagle Formerly Known as Maddy
If life is so short, why are taking the time to comment on this tread, then?
You're right. Bye

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY
You're right.* Bye* *

Jeb
Another poster leaving. I'll bet this actually has something to do with the post count debacle.

SG was robbed of his rightful place in board history. Robbed, I tell you.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #27

Quote:
SG was robbed of his rightful place in board history. Robbed, I tell you
I am so sorry for your loss. Somebody could always start a "new" thread on paying off a mortgage early and you could probably get back up to 2000 in no time.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Another poster leaving. I'll bet this actually has something to do with the post count debacle.

Who de F**** is SG?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Who de F**** is SG?*
See. This proves my point.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

I recently found a good site to check out stores/companies that have bad customer service; www.complaints.com. Interesting site if you don't mind complainers! However, there are no Jurassic beavers there so some here may not choose to visit.
cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The was suppose to tell you I was joking. I do need to trim down the time I spend reading message boards in general, not just this one.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 AM   #32

Here the response from BestBuy:

"Thank you for contacting us about your recent rebate submission.

We can appreciate your desire to receive this rebate. Best Buy
currently offers two different types of rebates on qualifying products and
services; they are categorized as manufacturer funded or Best Buy funded.
We would like to take the opportunity to inform you that the rebate in
question was mailed to and is funded by Samsung. We suggest that you
contact Samsung at 1-866-397-3420 to discuss your concern. If after
speaking with Samsung you have any further concerns or questions please do
not hesitate to contact us at 1-888-BestBuy.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to
www.bestbuy.com.

Best wishes from Best Buy,
the Customer Care Team

"
Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY
The* * was suppose to tell you I was joking.* I do need to trim down the time I spend reading message boards in general, not just this one.

Jeb
Me too.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Robbed? Of his position as the 10th most prolific poster? Nope, he's still there, but Laurence is only a week or two away from booting SG off the list, and then the whole "top ten" will be "A lot" posters.

Wait. Ignore this post. These statistics have been causing half the griping lately. Get over it, Jennifer.

(Must be logged-in to view those links. Sorry guest lurkers.)

(Oops, I just helped a FIRE & Money thread go off-topic. Bad moderator, bad moderator.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Me too.
Me three. 8)
Old 03-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

OK.... all that bad talk about Fry's I did earlier in this thread..... I will have to take back

Last night I get home and in my mail is a check for $50 from Fry's!!!!

I had bought the product about a year ago... bitched about not getting the rebate to the company for 6 months without getting anywhere.... went to Fry's and it seemed got nowhere...

SO, 6 months after I had complained to Fry's I get a check... maybe a little slow, but I did get it