Join Early Retirement Today

My rebate suspicions confirmed
Old 02-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

My rebate suspicions confirmed

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11497159/

It took us six months to get our rebate check back from fry's electronics for my flat panel monitor. 3 months for the DVD burner. I always figured people didn't always turn in the rebates, but to have 70 to 90% of people walk away from money!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: My rebate suspicions confirmed
Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Laurence

I got frustrated in 1998 never knowing if I got paid back for rebates.* So I started a spreadsheet detailing date sent, rebate amount, who to and item description;* when I would get the payment, I would enter that also and the date, then I note how many days transpired between sending the paperwork and receiving the check.*

The spreadsheet now has 285 transactions detailed for over $5,000 in money rebated.

Guess who is the worst payer...* Starts with "F" and has four letters and an apostrophe...*

Keep trackin
JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I know that it's fairly common for stores to offer "in store" rebates on top of a manufactuers's rebate to get the net price even lower. But usually those "in store" rebates are instantaneous...right at the register. I noticed last week that Circuit City now makes you mail off for even the part of the rebate that comes directly from them...so on a $100 purchase that offered rebates totaling $32, I had to send documentation to two different locations...and had to be very careful to meet the specific requirements of each rebate issuer because they were not the same.

It was almost enough trouble to get me just to blow it off...but then I decided that's exactly what they wanted me to do, and I filled everything out and mailed them off.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fry's is well known, as was compusa although they got in legal troubles I havent heard if they've really improved. Tiger Direct is supposed to be pretty bad.

Seagate I believe holds the current record for rebate suckage.

In all my years of rebating (and I use 'jennifer johnp's method of logging the amount, date, due date, 800# and email to complain, and copies of all the materials sent for anything over ten bucks) I've had one crappy digital camera company go belly up and not pay a rebate ($89 off $89) at all, HP tried to weasel out of a rebate mistake where they issued 3 different rebates on a laptop, none of which excluded other rebates or offers - they paid, Seagate tried to pretend nothing happened but when I called, they paid, and t-mobile sent me an old rebate form with a new phone, then although I included a letter explaining what they did, rejected it for being an old rebate. When I called, they sent me the new rebate form. Which was identical to the original form, except for the expiration date, and went to exactly the same rebate processor.

Rebates processed by the company in "New Rochelle, NY" have also been frequently maligned.

Best ones are Costco and Staples. You can do em online and they pay fast.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have learned to hate rebates.* I feel compelled to jump through all the various hoops to follow the rebate "rules" just so I can relieve the rebate offerer of their rebate money.* It irks me to think that a proportion of people don't claim and lets the company off the hook.* As it's easy to forget all about the rebates I put a reminder in my calendar and follow up if no check has arrived.* It's amazing how it's often claimed that the check has just been processed - funny that - and only after one has followed up does the refund turn up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP

So I started a spreadsheet detailing date sent, rebate amount, who to and item description;* when I would get the payment, I would enter that also and the date, then I note how many days transpired between sending the paperwork and receiving the check.* *
Wow, JohnP!* You are so organized!* I ought to do that.

On the whole, I wish there were no rebates....
Old 02-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been tracking them in my financial spreadsheet also. I think if you go online (a lot have online tracking), it seems like the rebate comes in faster. At least, it says, hey dont mess with me cause I am watching you buddy.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #7

I only participate in a couple of rebates a year. I always make copies of anything I mail in. The last one wass for $10. I mailed in all the necessary documents. The packaging had what appeared to be 2 similar bar codes. Because the instructions were unclear, I picked the wrong one so they reject my rebate until I sent in the other one. Finally got my rebate after 4 months.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Around Christmas DS/DDiL purchased an LCD TV from Costco using a coupon. *The thing died in late January. *I did some checking with Costco and recommended they take it back will all the stuff that comes in the box (manual, connectors - not the box itself) even 'tho they couldn't find the receipt.

Costco found the purchase in their system and gave them credit equal to purchase the same system (cash + coupon value). *They are absolutely delighted and I earned a couple Mother-in-Law credits. *
Old 02-27-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'll pay a little extra for most electronics and potentially finicky stuff if I buy it from costco, due to their extravagant return policy. Usually I end up paying a lot less though.

And nothing like gourmet foodstuffs and wines at a huge discount...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #10

I bought a Samsung laser printer from Best Buy in 11/05 and have not received my $70 rebate or any response! The rebate site indicates that it is being processed --bummer. I rather buy an item that has an instant rebate.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 8
. . . holds the current record for rebate suckage. . .
What are the units used to measure rebate suckage?
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:22 PM   #12

I'm a procrastinator, so I stay away from rebates because I basically never get them. The one time I recall sending one in I never got the money back.

I did just order that wireless router CFB/Jennifer 8 posted a week or so ago, but I figure it's fairly cheap even if I don't get the rebate. (I do plan to send it in....)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I'm a procrastinator, so I stay away from rebates because I basically never get them. The one time I recall sending one in I never got the money back.

I did just order that wireless router CFB/Jennifer 8 posted a week or so ago, but I figure it's fairly cheap even if I don't get the rebate. (I do plan to send it in....)
I have always received my rebates.
Several years ago, I lost track of time and didn't get around to mailing my turbo tax rebate. A week after the expiration date, I called saying that I haven't received my rebate, they of course told me that they hadn't receive my rebate request. I told them that I mailed it in and I had copies of what I mailed. I said I can mail in my copies, but they told me not to bother and mailed me my rebate.
I suspect they make a fortune on people who don't get around to mailing theirs in or don't read the extra fine print which would reject/delay their rebate.

MJ
Old 02-28-2006, 06:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I have always received my rebates.
MJ
MJ,

You are lucky. My experience has been about 50%.

Spanky
Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I bought a Samsung laser printer from Best Buy in 11/05 and have not received my $70 rebate or any response! The rebate site indicates that it is being processed --bummer. I rather buy an item that has an instant rebate.
Call the 800# from the rebate form. I'll bet magically the check will be in the process of being cut JUST THAT DAY!

Some rebate processors hold them until you let them know that you really, really are going to notice that they havent sent you a check...
Old 02-28-2006, 06:44 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
What are the units used to measure rebate suckage?
I'm not telling you anything until you stop that thing from spinning.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a different approach. I only buy items that are still a reasonable deal without the rebate. Send in the rebate and forget about it. If/when the rebate comes back it is found money.

I don't spend any time tracking or wondering if all the rebates have been accounted for. Life is to short.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It takes me about 3-5 minutes a month to send them in. Once a month I'll look at the list and see if there are any stragglers. Maybe twice a year I make a quick phone call.

I've gotten back several thousand dollars from rebates for maybe an hour a year net time spent. Had I not pushed the handful mentioned, I'd be out 200+200+200+90+40...maybe some more if I looked at the log.

Not too onerous. Good payback.

I keep telling my wife that I'm saving us so much money by buying stuff, I may double the rate next month so we'll really be living in luxury!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #19

Quote:
I don't spend any time tracking or wondering if all the rebates have been accounted for. Life is to short.
If life is so short, why are taking the time to comment on this tread, then?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We need to start tracking, I have a sneaking suspicion several hundred dollars are owed us that we have forgotten about.

I admit I discount rebate money vis a vis a straight sale, if the item is only 10% higher at store b, as compared to store a with rebate, I'll still buy store b.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote