Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, what were all of you doin'? It would be nice if people put down a brief description of their investment method, along with the results. Something like, "I sliced-and-diced", or perhaps even "besides Wellesley as the main component, I had quite a bit of this and of that". But purely Wellesley, I have not seen.
90% of my retirement portfolio is of the "slice and dice" type, a diversified AA that I have been faithful to since 2000. I very gradually reduce the total equity exposure as I age - currenty 52.5% equity funds/42.5% bonds/5% cash.

10% of the portfolio is in a pair of balanced funds used as a benchmark against my own AA (to keep me honest). Some years I win, some years my benchmark wins. Last time I checked, over the past several years my own AA was ahead, I haven't done the analysis for 2012 yet - but I think it was a tie.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Starting in '14 I plan to use savings/income for 6 months of RE. '15 -'17 will take about 5% per year, '18 about 4.5% before settling into 3.5% after that. Of course it's all subject to adjustment.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmm - seems like if you withdrew the amount you were planning to spend at the beginning of the year from the portfolio, there would be no confusion about the percentages...
I stopped work in the middle of the year. It was not preplanned, and as my part-time work had always been more than enough to cover expenses (well, most years that is, as my work was erratic), I had not really settled down into a chosen WR, and had been simply monitoring expenses to see what they had been.

Thought 3.5% was about right, but when one has more free time on hand, well, you know what can happen.

As I have often mentioned, having an earned income and being LBYM meant never having to have a budget. I always had left-over for savings. Never even bothered to see if I was saving 20% or 50%. Who cares? I was too busy with work. I spent enough to be happy, and I was going to enjoy my work "another year". Then, bad influence from this forum took over...
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I stopped work in the middle of the year. It was not preplanned, and as my part-time work had always been more than enough to cover expenses (well, most years that is, as my work was erratic), I had not really settled down into a chosen WR, and had been simply monitoring expenses to see what they had been.

Thought 3.5% was about right, but when one has more free time on hand, well, you know what can happen.

As I have often mentioned, having an earned income and being LBYM meant never having to have a budget. I always had left-over for savings. Never even bothered to see if I was saving 20% or 50%. Who cares? I was too busy with work. I spent enough to be happy, and I was going to enjoy my work "another year". Then, bad influence from this forum took over...
Give yourself a break, then, and claim that a partial year doesn't count LOL!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

What happened is already past, but I was feeling pretty proud about my "low" WR.

Well, 2012 was a good year, and my portfolio was still up 10+%. It's just that my accounting standard has been pretty loose, kind of like that of the past CFO of Worldcom. Not that I meant to, of course.

So, where to go from here? Recently, been thinking that life's too short to worry about a 1% or 2% extra WR here and there. What the heck! I'd better enjoy my money while I still can. Life is still good. Better start thinking about where to take my RV next...
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

When DW retires next year, the plan is to live on the income generated by our assets (dividends, rents, and interests). Currently, that would represent a ~ 2.5% WR.