Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My Social Security problem
Old 12-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My Social Security problem

Is anyone else having problems with two factor authentication (2FA) on the my social security site?

Two weeks or so ago I logged on as normal. No problem receiving the 2FA text from SS. Quite recently DW applied successfully to start her SS on line.

My problems started last week. I tried to log on again and all looked normal. The site confirmed my phone number (or at least shows the correct last 4 digits), but I did not receive the 2FA code by text. Several other attempts had the same (non) result. I contacted my wireless carrier (T-mobile) and they claim all is good at their end. I receive regular texts and 4 digit codes from T-mobile. I use an Iphone and have updated to IOS 13.3 (just before I noticed this problem).

So the question is anyone else having/had this problem? If so how did you fix it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to go to my local SS office to try to sort this out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just logged in to test it for you. I had no problem with the two factor authorization.

In my case, they send an e-mail to my AOL account rather than texting the number to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info W2R.
Perhaps it's Iphone specific (or me specific )
Old 12-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
Thanks for the info W2R.
Perhaps it's Iphone specific (or me specific )
I have no idea! Maybe their texting capabilities are down or something.

I must admit that my "OK Boomer" tactic of having them e-mail me at my old, unfashionable AOL account, and having that work better than texting to your updated iPhone is sure puzzling.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just logged in to my account. 2FA worked fine.

I am using an iPhone 6, so I am still on OS12
Old 12-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

You must do a hard reboot of your iPhone after the 13.3 update. Screws up a lot of things until you do. I had no voice mail, and instant calls failed for no reason until I did a hard reboot. May be related
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks cardsfan. Sounds like it may just be me but would like to hear from an OS13.3 user before going to SS
Old 12-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
You must do a hard reboot of your iPhone after the 13.3 update. Screws up a lot of things until you do. I had no voice mail, and instant calls failed for no reason until I did a hard reboot. May be related
I am betting on this being the problem. I don't turn my phone off very often, but when I have had an issue (like calls failing) a hard reset always has fixed the problem.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I am betting on this being the problem. I don't turn my phone off very often, but when I have had an issue (like calls failing) a hard reset always has fixed the problem.
Note: do NOT do a hard reset, perhaps you meant a reboot ?
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Already tried the power off reboot and a reset network settings reboot. No luck but appreciate the suggestions
Old 12-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I checked my account yesterday using iPhone 6 w/ 13.3 and received the text password no problem. Not sure if/when I have rebooted.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #12

I had similar issues once. It was on the AT&T website and the 2FA code stopped getting to me one day after working forever. I tried multiple times to get it to send the code to me. I tried all the things you have said you have done too. Finally, I wondered if maybe my phone settings were blocking the number. Over time, I had blocked multiple phone numbers that had sent me various spam/advertising phone calls or message. So I went in and unblocked all of those numbers. I had probably 100 of them blocked. Voila! That was the issue. Even though the AT&T process worked at one point, they must have started using a phone number that I had blocked. I do know that most companies actually use a 3rd party service for generating and sending these codes and also the codes do not always come from the same source number. So it is possible that the SSA has started sending their code from a number you have blocked. Worth checking, assuming you have blocked numbers. I now no longer really need to block numbers from calling me because iOS now offers a blocking built in of all numbers that are not on your Contacts list. Which works fine for me.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I use OS 13.3 on iPhone 7 and have no problems. I log in at ssa.gov and get a text with a code. Just confirmed. Sorry you're having problems with it.
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
Note: do NOT do a hard reset, perhaps you meant a reboot ?
Yes. You are correct. Poor choice of words. Just a power off, wait, power on sequence.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #15

When I signed in I got an option on my phone number of "No, it is no longer valid and must be changed." Have you done that and re-entered your number correctly? Could also be plain old corrupted data or someone hacked your account and changed the previous six numbers so you would not suspect. If you do all you can on your own and it's not resolved, I'd recommend calling SS.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #16

A while ago, I had trouble getting 2FA texts from capital one when I changed carriers. If that is the case with you, you may have to do what latexman suggests. Good luck.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote