Join Early Retirement Today

My SWR plan
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My SWR plan

I know there are countless threads on safe withdrawal rates, but thought I'd start yet another one with what I consider will be my SWR. I plan to support a 3.3% SWR (so save 30X annual expenses) PLUS a buffer. What exactly is this buffer? Well it simply is the percentage of equities I would hold at retirement X my total portfolio X 40%. Why 40%? I feel as though the worst case scenarios in the markets have typically been around 40%.

So with an anticipated nest egg of about $1.3M at 60% equities, my target retirement savings becomes

$1.3M + 312K = 1.61M. If equity markets fall by 40% at retirement it basically just takes me to a SWR level I am highly confident will work. Does this make sense or is it oversimplified? Without a market drop. the withdrawal rate then translates to something around 2.5 to 2.7 which I would consider super safe.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You don't say how long your retirement horizon is, but Firecalc indicates that a 3.3% WR has never failed over 30 years, so long as you have at least 20% in equities.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there any other source of income other than your FIRE portfolio? SS? Pension?

It sounds like you're content to remain working for additional years than necessary. If you really can live to your satisfaction on $1.3M X 3.3%, then you need to consider whether you really want to work longer to get to $1.61M since, as FIRE'd@51 says, the lower number has never failed historically, even if there is an equity market crash or high inflation. If you're also going to get SS, then that amplifies your conservatism considerably.

I certainly don't fault you for being ultra conservative in your planning......... as long as the extra time working does not significantly diminish your desired quality of life. If additional working does diminish your quality of life significantly, then you're giving up a lot to get a little.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My plan is retire at 50 so let's say 40 years of survival after that. In terms of pensions I will get about $12,000 a year from the Canadian gov't (today's dollars) that I DO NOT factor into my numbers (I assume I will get zero)
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
My plan is retire at 50 so let's say 40 years of survival after that. In terms of pensions I will get about $12,000 a year from the Canadian gov't (today's dollars) that I DO NOT factor into my numbers (I assume I will get zero)

OK, then your plan is ultra conservative IMHO. It's up to you to decide if the trade off of additional time in the harness to get to 1.61 Mil is worth a tiny, tiny reduction in risk.

If you're saying that to you working additional years to move your WR from 3.3% to 2.6% is worth it, then do that. For me, a 3.3% WR in itself would be safe enough. And you have an incremental $12k on top of that you're not counting......
Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #6

Sounds great to me. Maybe after a few years of retirement and no Armageddan you could raise your spending a bit? 3.3% is my SWR but not planning a cushion. I could reduce spending from the portfolio by 40% if I had to because I have a large DB pension as well.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I like the idea of a buffer. Some people will mentally compartmentalize it into a bucket, doing the calculations based on the basic number and/or investing it in cash and tapping into it first. What you do with your buffer over time will depend on whether you have any pension income, and how the basic portfolio is doing. I won't have any pension income, so if I saw things going to hell in a handcart over the first few years I would consider an (don't yell at me) annuity. But if you have a sound DB pension, that should not be an issue and you could have fun with your extra money!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Sounds great to me. Maybe after a few years of retirement and no Armageddan you could raise your spending a bit? 3.3% is my SWR but not planning a cushion. I could reduce spending from the portfolio by 40% if I had to because I have a large DB pension as well.
I agree - - to me the OP's plan sounds great for a conservative withdrawal plan.

I decided to lower my 2011 withdrawal rate to 3.26%, a nice even number. I'll try it and see how that feels - - if it seems too restrictive, I can always increase up to 3.5% since that is what I originally planned. So far, so good. I probably won't want to spend any more than 3.26%.

In the event of another market crash, I'll tighten my belt and spend less. Like Danmar I'd be fine reducing spending from my portfolio by 40% or more. That's my cushion. I am eligible to claim SS at any time too, yet another cushion that could mean even more reduced spending, or even no spending, from my portfolio if necessary.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I know there are countless threads on safe withdrawal rates, but thought I'd start yet another one with what I consider will be my SWR. I plan to support a 3.3% SWR (so save 30X annual expenses) PLUS a buffer. What exactly is this buffer? Well it simply is the percentage of equities I would hold at retirement X my total portfolio X 40%. Why 40%? I feel as though the worst case scenarios in the markets have typically been around 40%.
Good plan, I look at it basically 24% (or something similar) equity and rest bond,CD etc. How do you plan to rebalance, since equity (hopfully) will go up faster, will you sell equities to make it 40% again?
landover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Good plan! This should survive everything but the asteroid.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Good plan! This should survive everything but the asteroid.
You forgot this
Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #12

Quote:

So with an anticipated nest egg of about $1.3M at 60% equities, my target retirement savings becomes

$1.3M + 312K = 1.61M. If equity markets fall by 40% at retirement it basically just takes me to a SWR level I am highly confident will work. Does this make sense or is it oversimplified? Without a market drop. the withdrawal rate then translates to something around 2.5 to 2.7 which I would consider super safe.
this plan seems to be way too conservative. you can buy an annuity for alot less. at a 3.3% WR of the basic portfolio of $1.3M you are talking about $3575/mo. an annuity paying this costs $760,750 for a single man, aged 50. for the $1.3M you can get an annuity paying $6109/mo. if you want an inflation rider it looks like that will mean you get a monthly payout of about 65% of the straight annuity payments quoted above sooo the $1.3M would buy you about $3971/mo inflation adjusted, which is almost $400/mo more than you plan on taking.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #13

I like the idea of having a "buffer". Your plan sounds OK to me.

Quote:
What exactly is this buffer? Well it simply is the percentage of equities I would hold at retirement X my total portfolio X 40%. Why 40%? I feel as though the worst case scenarios in the markets have typically been around 40%.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I created my buffer, or built-in budget surplus, a little differently, but I share your concept.

I have built in an annual budget surplus based on my annual dividend income (from only the taxable accounts) less my annual expenses. I expect my expenses to rise more quickly than my income between now and when I turn 60 in 13 years, so if I have to tap into some principal (taxable accounts only) in the later years then that is okay. When I turn ~60, I can begin to tap into what I call my "reinforcements" starting with my IRA which is growing nicely (AA=55/45). I have a frozen pension and SS which will begin a few years after that.

By having a surplus or cushion built into my budget I don't get all panicky if I have some small, unforseen expenses. The only thing which can put more than a small dent into my budget is if my HI keeps rising at 20%-25% per year, far more than I budgeted on an average annual basis. [Will Obamacare lessen that increase is a whole different topic for a whole different thread.]
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #15

A 3.3% SWR with a 40% margin is just a 2.4% SWR.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You forgot this
Doggies, boy!

I bet you know the Fleetwoods, too! And PR&R. And the Wailers: "unintelligible at any speed." And the official state song of Washington:
Old 02-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
A 3.3% SWR with a 40% margin is just a 2.4% SWR.
This seems right to me.

I think the historic cases where 4% didn't work were also the times when PE ratios were "unusually high". If you want to be extra cautious about the possibility of a sudden market hit, it may be best to look at PE ratios when you retire. cjking had an interesting idea toward the end of the Unlimited Duration SWR thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...eply&p=1039993
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Doggies, boy!

I bet you know the Fleetwoods, too! And PR&R. And the Wailers: "unintelligible at any speed." And the official state song of Washington:
All time great song. Remember the line dances to this?

Ha