Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Htown...

You are moving faster than me... I am letting them read my meter on the normal cycle... I paid last time for them to read early... and you will also if they read out of cycle...

Your move (from what I can tell) is since your last bill... they do not know how much you had used when they went under... so you are lucky and get to pay the higher rate for the whole time.....

But as I said... this is just my thinking... if I get my POLR bill anytime soon, I will let you know...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, sudden unexpected spikes in usage...wasnt that what enron was artificially causing to drive up prices? Maybe the tactic hasnt gone out of style yet...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Weird. Looks like the load forecasts were pretty far off (by 1500 MWs) on May 19 in ERCOTS (South). There was a corresponding price spike there. Doesn't look like the temperature forecast was too far off, though. 5/23 had the highest prices, but while the load actual vs forecast spread was fairly high, it didn't seem unusually high. 5/24 didn't have price spikes.

I'm not an energy trader, so all I really do is look at the data and guess. My impression is that ERCOT's whole portal system is kind of weird and flaky. They are going to be moving to a different pricing model (more similar to the eastern half of the country), but the date has been pushed back to at least April of 2009, maybe later. That should help level the grid load out a bit.

A good chunk of my job in the last few months has involved dealing with ERCOT changes. So my recent TLA's (three letter acronyms) have been all about things like LMP, QSE, CRR, FGR, BES. Probably forgetting a few.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My recent electric bill had about 10% higher usage than a year ago. The cost was significantly higher than that. This has been a warm May/June. It's also been pretty dry by Houston standards (that gets more rain than Seattle).
Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In response to T-Al's National Update Your Post Day thread...

Last time I posted on this subject, in June, I had just made the request to move from my bankrupt provider to a new provider. Whether the change would take effect smoothly was unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
It seems possible I could end up with three bills for just two weeks of electric service: 1. a bill from Riverway based on my old rate with them 2. a bill from whomever the POLR provider is for the days Im on that plan until switching to the new provider and 3. a bill from the new provider.
In the end, it all worked out smoothly. I'm with the new provider at the rate I signed up for, at no time did I have to pay a POLR rate and my power was never cut off.

But there was some more drama along the way. A couple of weeks after my cycle cut off / switchover date, I received a letter from Reliant Energy (the "provider of last resort") saying that they were happy to have been assigned my business by the PUC and they were looking forward to "temporarily" billing me at around 18 cents/kwh. Uh-oh...I'd been POLRized. Or so I thought.

After several calls to clueless CSR's at Reliant and my new provider, I was able to find someone who knew who to call at Centerpoint, the local power distribution company. Centerpoint confirmed that all was well - they showed me as a customer of the new provider.

No bills ever came from Reliant, Riverway only billed me for what I owed them and the new provider is billing as they should. So the saga is over.

Except now I have a new temptation: the PUC website is now showing some deals at a penny or two cheaper than what I have now. But until I see a deal with a company whose name I recognize, I'll be sitting tight.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
This is another reason I consider Texas to be untenable as a primary retirement residence. I used to dream about my "river home" in the Hill Country but after seeing Missouri I realize how much better my options there would be.
Actually, much of the Hill Country doesn't have to deal with this deregulation which has caused electric rates to spike.

Areas served by electric co-ops (including where I live) are exempt from the "energy choice" plan and usually have much lower electric rates. Ours just rose to about 11 per kWh from about 9.5 a year ago. Still a lot cheaper than any place where "consumer choice" is involved. A large chunk of the Hill Country -- maybe even most of it -- is served by co-op power. (In my case, the city buys wholesale power from the LCRA and distributes it in the city limits.)

I'm a good capitalist and I believe in free-market competition. But having lived in Houston and in California during their famous boondoggle, I'm starting to wonder if electricity is just one of those things that don't work in the free market.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Having enjoyed the deregulation here in CA as well, I can say with some assurance that the free market thing sure as hell didnt work here.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Having enjoyed the deregulation here in CA as well, I can say with some assurance that the free market thing sure as hell didnt work here.
Oh, I don't know, it seemed to work pretty well for Enron and anyone else with the time & capital to exploit every tiny little clause in the thousands of pages of the "deregulation" regulations...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote