Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
But you haven't lost anything till you sell!
My realized loss was approx $50K. I actually still have one share in WINR or its offspring. The shell of the company was bought out and the symbol changed. They did a reverse split and if I recall correctly I was able to pocket enough cash to buy a cheap six pack buying selling the shares that I had in one account. Of course, the six pack wasn't cheap at all...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mine was getting caught up in the housing bubble. I bought into a condohotel in Mrytle Beach for investment purposes with the intention of flipping at some point. Well you all know how that story ended. I am now stuck with a condo that is worth $50k for which I paid $200k. Eventhough I get a bit in rental income, I still have to pay $1,200 out of pocket (the condo fees are outrageous which was unknown at the time of contract). I cannot ever see this coming back.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Started an expediting company with my brother. We are 3.5 years in and I've lost 100k so far. Hoping to get out in Q4 and start rebuilding some of my nest egg.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

lucent. Nuff said.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmen
lucent. Nuff said.
+1. I tried to catch a falling knive, and got my fingers sliced off. That stock converted me to mutual funds.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

As a greenhorn mutual fund investor in the late 90s....several Janus funds.
The good news is I was not heavily invested, i.e. just starting out. Whew!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #67

LU as well, worked there 2000-2002. ESOF plan seemed like a good idea... only around 10K loss I think. Dooh.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Microsoft. After years of listening to my buddy tell me how the stock went up, split, went up again, split again,......... I finally purchased the stock. It went up a few percent and then down, down, down, and has never come near the price I paid for it. Thankfully, I only bought a small amount. It was cheap tuition on the road to FI using index funds and not worrying about the ups and downs of the market.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #69

Letting Ameriprise talk us into two private commercial REITs with a five year lock (2007 - 2012). $30k investment is now worth about $15k.

I just shake my head in disgust when I see what some of the REIT indexes have done in the same timeframe.

...then there is the Variable Annuity with Ameripries; but I won't go into that one. Ameriprise is done and gone and lesson learned.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

C (Citi) - down 95% then a 50 to 1 reverse split. What's not to love?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Their current dividend of 4c, or 0.14%?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Their current dividend of 4c, or 0.14%?
Oh yeah. I forgot that was one of my dividend stocks...
Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
LU as well, worked there 2000-2002. ESOF plan seemed like a good idea... only around 10K loss I think. Dooh.
One of my BIL's worked there (started with AT&T) for over 35 years.

Lost his job, his investments (all in LU, even though I suggested otherwise), his pension (turned over the PBGC at a greatly reduced rate) and is still wor*ing in his late 60's part time in a "service industry".

Life certainly didn't turn out as he planned, many decades earlier. He lost a lifetime, if you think about it....
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I used $25K in self-directed IRA funds to invest in a scam, Pinnacle Property Solutions, LLC, run by a guy named Rusty Shields. I still hold the investment, but it's worse than worthless; it's going to cost me to get rid of it.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Talk about banking stocks, I did not own any before the crash, except inside my MFs. And learning from my mistakes with the tech stock bust in 2000, I also did not try to catch the falling knife.

I have not been following banking stocks. So, just now look at C, and this Web site said the current price is $29.64, and the market cap is still at $86.7B. The price in 2007 (split-adjusted) was $550. Proportionally, the market cap would have been $1600B or $1.6T back then.

That could not be right. So, apparently, there was a lot of new stocks issued during the crash, and that diluted out the share price further. I am glad I did not want any part of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mean View Post
Oh yeah. I forgot that was one of my dividend stocks...