My worst investment ever....

Wordcruncher (WCTI)

Bought this turd during the dot.com bubble. Went all in. Rode it to pennies. Couldn't sell my shares, price was dropping faster than I could get out. Completely wiped out at the age of 23. About $50k loss and hard lesson learned. Now I'm much more diversified and conservative.

Hopefully nobody else on this board knows or was in this POS stock.

WINR. I let a $600K unrealized gain dwindle to a worthless security.

Okay, now I feel as if I can finally come clean. This all happened back in the early 80's. Had a "friend" who was selling all kinds of financial "product" from antiquity stores to firmware development with 3X write-offs to receivables financing and solar water heater leasing.

By the time the IRS got finished with us (and, of course, total losses and some outright fraud with some of the investments). I'm guessing that, in todays dollars, we threw away $250K. In the situation where investors were defrauded, my "friend" had claimed his "due diligence" was so thorough that he "personally guaranteed" that the investment could not lose money. Of course, when it did, he didn't make good on the guarantee - go figure!

Lesson Learned - Do NOT invest in ANYTHING that YOU can't explain to your 8 year old.

My 2 biggest financial mistakes were:

1- Buying a large chunk of ATT Wireless stock in 1999 on margin. My wife was working for ATT at the time and everyone was saying how this stock was going to be a "sure thing" with the way all those tech IPO's were skyrocketing in the late 90's. The stock never went much above the opening price and when the bubble burst I was forced to liquidate a bunch of my positions at the bottom of the market to make my margin call. The stock ended up in the toilet.

2- When the market tanked in 2008 but then quickly recovered, I got spooked by all the bad news and was convinced we were headed for a double dip, so I looked to find a good exit point, deciding to liquidate my portfolio once I got back close to even with what it was prior to the crash. When I hit the mark in late 2009, rumors were also flying around about Steve Jobs health, so not wanting to take any chances I liquidated a HUGE position that I had in AAPL which was trading at around 170. Shortly after I liquidated, Apple announced the release of the first iPad , and the rest is history. Today AAPL is trading at around 420. In the end this move cost me around a million dollars.

Sometimes it is easy to put a dollar amount on the loss, sometimes not. Let me explain.

Well, I have lost plenty in land deals, forfeited income in start-ups, tech stocks, companies that eventually went bankrupt. I have not added them all up (do I want to?), but none of mine were as much as the OP's condo in a single bad deal (assuming it was paid with cash). Man, that hurts.

One expensive lesson, or numerous little less expensive ones? I am happy with the latter, I think. That gives me more stories to tell.

Like NW-Bound, I've had only small modest losses. ..

My biggest loss, which was the lost time in the failed startups, was substantial. I did not put my own money in the ventures (hey, I was not that big a fool), but as a founding member, contributed about 3 man-years. That number of hours was a conservative estimate and could be a lot higher, because when one was so busy, who was counting?

Compared to the alternative scenario where I did not quit megacorp job, do I count the loss as the gross income or the net after all taxes? Remember that it would be the net that I would have if I did not make that career move, not the gross. But then, there were the forfeited benefits, the 401k matching, etc...

But the above was my biggest loss, a 6-figure sum no matter how one looks at it. There were other losses that were a lot cleaner for accounting, such as $20K on a land deal in the late 80s, $10K on some stupid small-cap stocks in the early 90s.

But when it comes to my other losses when I became an active investor starting in 1999, it became fuzzy. Here are some examples. I had to install the defunct Microsoft Money program in order to look at my old portfolio file to pull out the following numbers, as sorted in order by that program.

AMD -$16,683
LU -$9,565
HLIT -$9,497
TER -$9,441
UYG $-9,057
CNXT $-8,499
MOS $-7,792
SCHW $-7,244
LVLT $-6,983
AAUK $-4,639
IRF $-4,528
VGK $-4,478
etc...

I shall stop now. :) See what I said in another post about how diversified I have been. Still, these losses add up to a 6-figure sum, you say...

The point I will make now is that these losses were canceled out by my gains. Counting again from large to small, I see

USD $16,211
POT $14,586
WFR $11,381
APA $11,038
OIH $8,025
TRA $6,702
BBY $6,542
HUM $6,458
TXU $6,448
NE $6,118
DRYS $5,807
etc...

The above were all realized gains and losses, incurred from 1998 up to when the Microsoft Money program went defunct a couple of years ago.

Now, I held individual stocks, so I could tell how much I gained or lost for each position. If you own these stocks inside an MF, or inside an index, how would you know?

WINR. I let a $600K unrealized gain dwindle to a worthless security.

That was an unrealized gain, so your actual loss was only the stock basis. Still, that "lost opportunity" really hurt!

1- Buying a large chunk of ATT Wireless stock in 1999 on margin. My wife was working for ATT at the time and everyone was saying how this stock was going to be a "sure thing" with the way all those tech IPO's were skyrocketing in the late 90's. The stock never went much above the opening price and when the bubble burst I was forced to liquidate a bunch of my positions at the bottom of the market to make my margin call. The stock ended up in the toilet.

2- When the market tanked in 2008 but then quickly recovered, I got spooked by all the bad news and was convinced we were headed for a double dip, so I looked to find a good exit point, deciding to liquidate my portfolio once I got back close to even with what it was prior to the crash. When I hit the mark in late 2009, rumors were also flying around about Steve Jobs health, so not wanting to take any chances I liquidated a HUGE position that I had in AAPL which was trading at around 170. Shortly after I liquidated, Apple announced the release of the first iPad , and the rest is history. Today AAPL is trading at around 420. In the end this move cost me around a million dollars.

I actually remember your post announcing going to cash, and then recently your decision to buy back AAPL too. I wish you well.

Last edited:

1- Buying a large chunk of ATT Wireless stock in 1999 [-]on margin[/-]. My wife was working for ATT at the time and everyone was saying how this stock was going to be a "sure thing" with the way all those tech IPO's were skyrocketing in the late 90's. The stock never went much above the opening price [-]and when the bubble burst I was forced to liquidate a bunch of my positions at the bottom of the market to make my margin call. The stock ended up in the toilet.........[/-].

Oh, Yeah...I forgot about this one.....nearly identical story, but we did not use margin. Many people did not realize that ATT Wireless was a "tracking stock", not a common stock representing equity in anything. The CEO brought the concept of a tracking stock with him when he came over from Hughes (GM Class H, which I owned) where it was quite successful.

My worst investment was buying a global equity fund to balance out an asset allocation this year. All that asset allocation stuff sounded so logical and safe. :LOL:

But you haven't lost anything till you sell! :cool:

My realized loss was approx $50K. I actually still have one share in WINR or its offspring. The shell of the company was bought out and the symbol changed. They did a reverse split and if I recall correctly I was able to pocket enough cash to buy a cheap six pack buying selling the shares that I had in one account. Of course, the six pack wasn't cheap at all...

Mine was getting caught up in the housing bubble. I bought into a condohotel in Mrytle Beach for investment purposes with the intention of flipping at some point. Well you all know how that story ended. I am now stuck with a condo that is worth $50k for which I paid $200k. Eventhough I get a bit in rental income, I still have to pay $1,200 out of pocket (the condo fees are outrageous which was unknown at the time of contract). I cannot ever see this coming back.

Started an expediting company with my brother. We are 3.5 years in and I've lost 100k so far. Hoping to get out in Q4 and start rebuilding some of my nest egg.

kongmen said:
lucent. Nuff said.

+1. I tried to catch a falling knive, and got my fingers sliced off. That stock converted me to mutual funds.

As a greenhorn mutual fund investor in the late 90s....several Janus funds.
The good news is I was not heavily invested, i.e. just starting out. Whew!

LU as well, worked there 2000-2002. ESOF plan seemed like a good idea... only around 10K loss I think. Dooh.

Microsoft. After years of listening to my buddy tell me how the stock went up, split, went up again, split again,......... I finally purchased the stock. It went up a few percent and then down, down, down, and has never come near the price I paid for it. Thankfully, I only bought a small amount. It was cheap tuition on the road to FI using index funds and not worrying about the ups and downs of the market.

Letting Ameriprise talk us into two private commercial REITs with a five year lock (2007 - 2012). $30k investment is now worth about $15k.

I just shake my head in disgust when I see what some of the REIT indexes have done in the same timeframe.

...then there is the Variable Annuity with Ameripries; but I won't go into that one. Ameriprise is done and gone and lesson learned.

Their current dividend of 4c, or 0.14%?

LU as well, worked there 2000-2002. ESOF plan seemed like a good idea... only around 10K loss I think. Dooh.
One of my BIL's worked there (started with AT&T) for over 35 years.

Lost his job, his investments (all in LU, even though I suggested otherwise), his pension (turned over the PBGC at a greatly reduced rate) and is still wor*ing in his late 60's part time in a "service industry".

Life certainly didn't turn out as he planned, many decades earlier. He lost a lifetime, if you think about it....

Last edited:
I used $25K in self-directed IRA funds to invest in a scam, Pinnacle Property Solutions, LLC, run by a guy named Rusty Shields. I still hold the investment, but it's worse than worthless; it's going to cost me to get rid of it.

Talk about banking stocks, I did not own any before the crash, except inside my MFs. And learning from my mistakes with the tech stock bust in 2000, I also did not try to catch the falling knife.

I have not been following banking stocks. So, just now look at C, and this Web site said the current price is $29.64, and the market cap is still at $86.7B. The price in 2007 (split-adjusted) was $550. Proportionally, the market cap would have been $1600B or $1.6T back then.

That could not be right. So, apparently, there was a lot of new stocks issued during the crash, and that diluted out the share price further. I am glad I did not want any part of that.

Oh yeah. I forgot that was one of my dividend stocks...:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom