Join Early Retirement Today

My worst investment ever....
Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

My worst investment ever....

Tell us your Worst investment ever story. Mine is:

I bought a beautiful penthouse condo with views of the ocean in a resort town in Mexico in 2005 as the complex was nearing completion. I knew the developer through another successful complex he had built in the area. I thought I had done my due diligence. Within the first 6 month, there was a gas explosion in one of the units and one of the workers died. Within the next 6 months the North building, next to mine started to crack and collapse. Turns out they built the complex over a cenote (limestone over underground rivers) without doing the proper engineering. The developer tried to blame a hurricane, insurance didn't cover anything. The north building was torn down but not all the way, lawsuits were filed, nothing was cleaned up and the place looks like a war-torn. Years spent hiring attorneys and fighting, but no settlement. Finally wrote the investments off our taxes. What a shame....so much potential and such a crooked country!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I spent about three days as a Wade Cook disciple. 'Nuff said.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #3

Ever hear of Star Partners? It was a limited partnership sold back in the 80's through financial "advisers" of movies. They'd bundle several movies into an offering, a couple of good ones and the other 4 or 5 would be so so. Moonstruck was the good movie in one offering. Back then I was totally uninformed and made dumb mistakes like this. Each unit cost $5000, I bought one and it almost returned my $5000. Before I realized what a crap deal this was about a year later they offered Star Partners II and I bought 2 units for $10,000, it did not even come close to giving me back my money.

Back in that same time frame a local bank was "said to be a good buy" I forget why today. So 3 of us bought stock in it, I put in $5000. The value of the stock went down almost immediately and when it became a penny stock I just held on hoping for some recovery since it was almost worthless at that point. It went to zero.

I wonder how much that $20,000 would have been worth today 25+ years later knowing what I know now ie Vanguard index funds? Makes me sick just to consider it!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #4

It's too bad about your condo deal. Our worst investment was a church bond that ended up with default in 6 months. We were out about $20K (back then) or $40K in 2012 dollars.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

ESPP

Waited too long for stock to go up.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #6

Too many cars and boats in my younger years. Not an investment but a lost opportunity to invest more.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #7

MGM, down 65%, still holding it, must be a gambler. Looked at it for a while before buying, sin stocks had held up well in previous recessions. I think their going into China did not payoff.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #8

A diamond ring in 1977. $1,100 down and every nickel I made for the next five years. At least I came out of it not owing anything, and much wiser.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

First investment was a variable annuity sold by a snake. The only good news is that I was young so the investment wasn't as big as it could have been... and I figured out what a rip off it was before too long so I could cut my losses early and reinvest what was left in something worthwhile. I still remember the salesperson's face and it's over 20 years. Happy thoughts... happy thoughts...
Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

dot com stocks, ... nuff said.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #11

I bought an expensive condo in 2008 in a very expensive part of the country, two weeks before Lehman's implosion. The value of my condo has been going down since. I still like the place though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoblonde View Post
Tell us your Worst investment ever story.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Years ago, a market timing strategy for my IRA set up by a financial planner.

But this was a blessing in disguise as this scared me enough to pull out shortly afterwords and learn that the "experts" don't really have my best interests at heart.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I once had Worldcom stock that was worth $30,000. Now it's worthless.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #14

Invested in a technology mutual fund shortly before the dot.com meltdown. Luckily, I did not have that much in it.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought 1000 shares in an IPO (first and last time) for purely sentimental reasons in 1996 (Cal-Pearson Yachts, trying to restart themselves under new owners). By 1998 the shares were worth zip/zero/nada/zilch. They just shut the doors and everyone walked away one day, no organized bankruptcy - just vanished. I couldn't reach anyone to find out what happened, finally caught the CFO there one day, we had a civil conversation and he told me there was no one there and no assets, just massive liabilities. Fortunately the shares were only $1 each, so the loss wasn't significant. I chalked it up as a cheap lesson re: IPO's for me at least...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
dot com stocks, ... nuff said.
+1

My loss from the 2000 tech crash was some $50,000. Did not have much money to invest until 1999 when I got a small inheritance and put most of it into dot coms and other tech, which to the beginning investor looked like a way to super fast FIRE. An important lesson learned. Luckily happened when losing about half of my portfolio value did not equal a large sum yet. Now, about 2 years to FI the impact would be much different.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoblonde View Post
Tell us your Worst investment ever story. Mine is:

I bought a beautiful penthouse condo with views of the ocean in a resort town in Mexico in 2005 as the complex was nearing completion. I knew the developer through another successful complex he had built in the area. I thought I had done my due diligence. Within the first 6 month, there was a gas explosion in one of the units and one of the workers died. Within the next 6 months the North building, next to mine started to crack and collapse. Turns out they built the complex over a cenote (limestone over underground rivers) without doing the proper engineering. The developer tried to blame a hurricane, insurance didn't cover anything. The north building was torn down but not all the way, lawsuits were filed, nothing was cleaned up and the place looks like a war-torn. Years spent hiring attorneys and fighting, but no settlement. Finally wrote the investments off our taxes. What a shame....so much potential and such a crooked country!
Great place to live. Just don't invest here if you don't live here. Playa del Carmen I presume? We have lived here a few months now and see what you mentioned...
Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, off topic.

WCOM, SDS, BRCM, RMII, just to name a few.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Enron bonds -- my broker/advisor said they were a sure bet. My $5000 went to $0. But it was small price to pay to learn not to trust brokers/advisors...
Old 01-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #20

Worldcom was the only one that totally crashed.