Natural Gas prices to Increase 71% this winter..............

C

Cut-Throat

This is what has been predicted as of today. Due mainly to the Hurricane. :'(

I just locked in my natural gas price at a 27% increase. I am not happy but at least it is not 71%.

The price increase is a bummer - more reason to think about moving to Hawaii.

Does anyone know if/how/when these kinds of price increases (natural gas and petrol) will show up in the consumer price index?

Who knows. They may figure gas is improved, and so not really more expensive at all. They may also figure that people switched to alternatives (such as burning their furniture for heat), and so the cost of living is really cheaper.

Grit my teeth writing the prebuy check in August (25% higher). But it looks like a no brainer in hind site. Also heard many dealers a shutting down prebuy programs early due to unstable pricing.

More concerned about the tenants ... all have gas heat and will be paying for heat before they pay the rent (at least until March/April). Of course none had the foresight to do a prebuy. Oh well ...

tryan said:
More concerned about the tenants ... all have gas heat and will be paying for heat before they pay the rent (at least until March/April).  Of course none had the foresight to do a prebuy.  Oh well ...

I rent, and I have gas heat. Last year, the Jan gas bill was almost $150... this year will be nuts. I'm thinking about buying two oil filled radiators and using those to heat up the house. I believe electricity is $.11/kWh here (I will need to double check), so the 3kW draw from the two heaters will cost about $.33/hour, or about $2.64 to heat the house for 8 hours.... this translates into ~$80/month in electricity. I will use gas heat too, but only to keep the place around 60 degrees when everyone is away at work/school. Hopefully this experiment works out for the best :) For all of you that have efficient heat-pumps (and don't live where it's TOO cold), I envy you :)

Marc
be very careful about the unit that you buy and the ventilation requirements. follow manufacturer instructions. with CO these can be very dangerous if not properly used and vented.

uncledrz

Love those heatpumps. Here in central TX we can use the heatpump without even activating the heat strips during a typical winter.  When we are getting the electric from nuclear it is a double bonus.  One of the things about Texas I'll miss.

JPatrick said:
Love those heatpumps. Here in central TX we can use the heatpump without even activating the heat strips during a typical winter. When we are getting the electric from nuclear it is a double bonus. One of the things about Texas I'll miss.

Hey! Don't be telling everyone that cr*p. You may be leaving but those of us staying behind might not want a migration of retirees seeking low-cost utilites. Besides, the property taxes are so darned high, utilities could be free and you would still not be ahead. :-\

REW

REWahoo! said:
Hey!  Don't be telling everyone that cr*p.  You may be leaving but those of us staying behind might not want a migration of retirees seeking low-cost utilites.  Besides, the property taxes are so darned high, utilities could be free and you would still not be ahead.  :-\

REW
That's all true.  What I hate about Texas heatpumps is the snakes that crawl through the vents and hide in your bed. :eek:
(so how's that REWahoo?)

I may use the little electric space heater some to save on the gas bill. And get some new weatherstripping.

JPatrick said:
That's all true.  What I hate about Texas heatpumps is the snakes that crawl through the vents and hide in your bed. :eek:
(so how's that REWahoo?)
In Arizona, the heatpump snakes carry guns. :D :D :LOL: :LOL:

uncledrz said:
be very careful about the unit that you buy and the ventilation requirements.

Ventilation? They may be oil filled, but they don't actually burn any oil.... I was just going to stick them over a register and let the furnace fan blow air over them :) Needless to say, they will only be on when i'm around.

In July we were discussing the best time to fill the propane tank. I got some then (at $2.12 per gal) and was going to buy some more this month. But it's up to $2.38/gal now, so I think I'll just see if we can get through the winter with the 240 galons we have now.

BTW I have very little confidence in that 71% increase figure. I'm guessing that by December prices will be at their typical December levels.

I've heard glowing reports concerning electricity from nuclear power.

TromboneAl said:
I've heard glowing reports concerning electricity from nuclear power.

Nuclear power truly blows the competition away

Good thing I'm Canadian because I like the house COLD :LOL: We keep the thermostat set around 60F. We're not too worried about our heating bills....they will be higher but definitely still below what the "average" consumer uses I believe!

60 F is cold except for the nights. During the day, we set it at 68 F

Marshac said:
I rent, and I have gas heat. Last year, the Jan gas bill was almost $150... this year will be nuts. I'm thinking about buying two oil filled radiators and using those to heat up the house.

I live in a house in the midwest, my bills have been

03/04
Dec 129.22
Jan 188.80
Feb 146.16
Mar 103.12
04/05
Dec 189.14
Jan 175.14
Feb 134.78
Mar 143.20

I have a 94+% efficient Natural Gas furnace, and an adjustable thermostat, so that helps. Cost / Therm is up versus last year, but not 70%. But the cost has remained strong through the summer.

We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom