Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Need 5% APY for 10 years with Liquidity
Old 12-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Need 5% APY for 10 years with Liquidity

I have $300K which I am willing to draw down to zero over a period of 10 years with a starting withdrawal amount of $30K to be increased by 3% per year. I have estimated that I will need a 5% per year return on the principle for the funds to last 10 years. I am looking for recommendations on where to park the $300K where I can maintain a 5% return over a 10 year period with liquidity. A guaranteed return would be nice, but I expect I will need to assume some minimal risk/volatility to achieve the return necessary for the funds to last 10 years at my planned withdrawal rate. Just running some scenarios right now and I will appreciate any input the members of the forum may be able to provide.

Thanks.
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Need 5% APY for 10 years with Liquidity
Old 12-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #2

Well, I think if you look at these CD's, you could structure a ladder of CD's from 6 mos to 10 years maturity that would do pretty much what you want and give you 5.2% Yield.

https://www.emigrantdirect.com/Emigr.../CDLanding.jsp
Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I second C-T.

You can get what you need from a CD ladder. Keep one year's worth in a money market fund for access. Dump the CDs into the MMF as they mature.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
I have $300K which I am willing to draw down to zero over a period of 10 years with a starting withdrawal amount of $30K to be increased by 3% per year. ...

A guaranteed return would be nice, but I expect I will need to assume some minimal risk/volatility to achieve the return necessary for the funds to last 10 years at my planned withdrawal rate.
If you are willing to settle for a 4% per year increase instead of 3%, you can get this
return, guaranteed, from a Vanguard/AIG immediate annuity (I've assumed you're a
very young woman living in a long-longevity state, but for a fixed 10-yr payout the
demographics shouldn't matter much):

http://www.aigretirementgold.com/vli...=RequestaQuote

Primary Annuitant -- Birth date: 01/01/1980 Sex: F
Quote Expiration Date: 12/17/2006
Benefit Commencement Date: 02/01/2007
State of Residence: MA
Payments per Year: 1
Total Premium Amount: $300,000.00

Initial Payment Amount for Fixed Period Certain Only Annuity with 10 Years
Certain with 4% graded payment option: $30,073.08

The only risk you will assume is that AIG goes belly-up. For a lifetime annuity, this is
a reasonable concern. For 10 years, it's probably tinfoil-hat time ...

Of course, you will have to deal with the abuse you receive from people telling you
that you are a moron for buying an immediate annuity. I won't tell anyone if you
don't tell anyone ...

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

'Course the liquidity ain't there with the annuity ...

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't do the annuity, stick to CD's in this environment. Why do you need the liquidity, unforeseen expenses??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bear in mind that the FDIC only insures 100K per depositor, so you may not want to put the entire 300K at the same institution.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
Bear in mind that the FDIC only insures 100K per depositor, so you may not want to put the entire 300K at the same institution.
Maybe...or maybe not.

The FDIC insurance limit for IRAs is $250k. Plus there are many variations on the FDIC guarantee which will insure much more than the advertised $100k limit for non-IRAs depending on how you set your accounts up with the insured institution. You can check out your options using the FDIC's Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE) located here.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Buy a Ford or GM bond. IT should pay you roughly 30k a year and they will give you your money back. Yes, they are rated B and BB but they will STILL be in business in 10 years.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I like laddered CDs as noted.

But there is something to be said for at least looking for a 10 year immediate annuity in this context; if interest rates rise a bit they may get you 4.5% or so, shield you from a downturn in interest rates, etc. at the expense of losing access to your funds other than the payments.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My spouse buys short term treasury bills through treasury direct. Something else to look at, especially if you are in a high tax state like we are as treasury note, bills and bonds are exempt from state tax.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendbaht
Buy a Ford or GM bond. IT should pay you roughly 30k a year and they will give you your money back. Yes, they are rated B and BB but they will STILL be in business in 10 years.
That post has naive written all over it.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendbaht
Can I have that in writing??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
My spouse buys short term treasury bills through treasury direct. Something else to look at, especially if you are in a high tax state like we are as treasury note, bills and bonds are exempt from state tax.
I would secoind this notion. Treasuries would be a great idea. TIPS would be an even better idea for the out years (5+ years out).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish to thank everyone for their advice. I will probably go with a combination of CDs and treasuries if I go with this scenario.

I should explain a bit about what I am thinking. Depending on when I ER, I will have 300K in liquid "after tax" funds and close to $700K tied up in a roll-over IRA and Roth IRA. It will be 7 years until I can start the IRA withdrawals and 10 years before SSI kicks-in at 62. If I find a way to make the $300K last for 10 years, I can keep the majority of the IRA funds invested in equity mutual funds for maximum tax free growth (primary motivation) and also avoid the hassle of setting up a 72(t) early withdrawal scheme. If it get really lucky I may even delay SSI.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
I have $300K which I am willing to draw down to zero over a period of 10 years with a starting withdrawal amount of $30K to be increased by 3% per year. I have estimated that I will need a 5% per year return on the principle for the funds to last 10 years. I am looking for recommendations on where to park the $300K where I can maintain a 5% return over a 10 year period with liquidity. A guaranteed return would be nice, but I expect I will need to assume some minimal risk/volatility to achieve the return necessary for the funds to last 10 years at my planned withdrawal rate. Just running some scenarios right now and I will appreciate any input the members of the forum may be able to provide.

Thanks.
When I put this in the spreadsheet the 5% return will allow you to start with a $30K WD and have annual increases of 5% not 3% (those 5% increases exactly exhausts the $300K taking the WD at the beginning of each year). So you can go with 9 CDs, one for each year for the next 9 years.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire
When I put this in the spreadsheet the 5% return will allow you to start with a $30K WD and have annual increases of 5% not 3% (those 5% increases exactly exhausts the $300K taking the WD at the beginning of each year). So you can go with 9 CDs, one for each year for the next 9 years.
Yes, you are right. But I was planning for a small bit of cushion. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:29 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Hydroman

I have done what you are planning to do. I have actually set up for 11 years but other than that it is the same. I used a cd ladder. The bad news is that interest rates have fallen since I set up mine (I have a mean return of 6%) and I have only found a couple of places that give cds for longer periods than 5 years and they have terrible penalties for early withdrawal (it's ok if you want to keep them there but if interest rates go to the ceiling you are screwed - every investment has a risk so I accepted this one) But you do get a guaranteed return with a 1 year increment ladder. By dumping the expired cd funds each year into a high yield mm fund you increase your return as well.

Check bankdeals.blogspot.com for best cd rates. There are some 6% rates still going around from time to time. Intervest bank offers cd rates for 6-10 years but the penalty is 1/2 the TOTAL interest for early withdrawal. You might want to consider broker cds or bonds for the longer durations.

Firecalc says for my scenario I have increased the survivorability of my portfolio with this method and I know that I will leave my stock funds alone and sleep well even during a market downturn. In addition as you spend down your taxable cd account you decrease your tax exposure with this method, something you don't get with withdrawals from the tax deferred accounts.

Good Luck.