Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I'm pretty happy with my combination of the Amex blue cash preferred giving 6% back on groceries ($75 fee) and the capital one card giving 1.5% back on everything. Amex also gives 3% back on gas, but not if the gas pumps are attached to a grocery store. We buy various gift cards for other stores at Kroger when they run the 4x fuel point specials, and get the 6% cash back on those.
I finally got that card this (last) year. I took max advantage of their 10% back on US mobile category until 12/31, even buying an iPhone.

I think their annual fee went up to $95 though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree it all depends on where you spend your money.

I use the Amex Blue the most as the #1 spending category is food, so 6% cash back is the best deal out there. I take advantage of many of their deals each year like 10% off your wireless bill up to $30 and basically free BJs membership to replace Costco.

I then use my Discover card and take advantage of the rotating deals. 5% on Amazon and Walmart over the holidays was a great deal for me, 5% on gas and wholesale clubs this quarter is sweet too.

I did recently pick up a quicksilver 1.5% flat card due to the free cash offer and with no fee it will be replacing one of my miles cards.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I finally got that card this (last) year. I took max advantage of their 10% back on US mobile category until 12/31, even buying an iPhone.

I think their annual fee went up to $95 though.
Yes it did as I looked at their no fee card that gives 3% back at grocery stores, so it depends on if you max that category out or not.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #24

I currently use Citibank Mastercard which offers 1% off the statement balance and 1% off your payment. I know various CCs have different benefits. I have taken advantage of their price rewind several times saving several hundred dollars. They search for the lowest possible price within a set time. Because I don't rely of their searches, I also check for lower prices myself. They seem to ignore Amazon for lower pricing. They, as other cards, have warranty extensions which adds another 1 year to your warranty. My Monster headphones started falling apart 16 months after I purchased it and I got my $90+ back, no questions asked for under $100.
I also use PFCU cash CC to get 5% off gas.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've just cashed the check at the service counter, or purchased an inexpensive items and gotten the remainder in cash at Costco.
Do you need to have a costco membership ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Do you need to have a costco membership ?
Yes, that is a requirement of the Citi Costco VISA.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Southwest Visa. If you have SWA in your airport it ramps you faster to Companion pass which allows DW to fly free with me everywhere we go.

So our plan is:
First part of year - SWA Visa until Companion pass reached with combined flights and spending (usually takes until August).

All hotels with Marriott Visa though.

Then Discover IT - for last part of year deals - 5% on Amazon/Apple/Warehouse clubs...

Am I placing too much value on SWA? If we spend 40k in those first 8 months, we get easily 2000.00 in value with the free Companion Pass flights (not to mention points). That's 5% alone...
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #28

I also have the PenFed 5% automatic credit for gas, which was grandfathered from a prior offer where they gave other %'s back on other categories. I thought they now only offer a "points" system, but maybe you can still get the 5% on gas.

I'm not a fan of points; just give me the cash. Preferably monthly, not annually.

I'm surprised no-one mentioned another highly-rated card, the CitiBank Double Cash. Basically 2% back on everything if you pay your full balance on time each month. You can take it as an account credit, although it's not automatic.

I'm going to look into the 5% Amazon deal, that seems great, thanks!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, thanks for the heads-up on the Amazon store card. We have been using the Southwest card exclusively for the last several years as our youngest is up in Seattle area and we are in in California and it has been great. However, I did the math over the weekend and the value of the travel reward points equates to about 1.5% cash back. We don't travel on SW enough (or charge enough, apparently) to qualify for the companion pass.

After some investigation I was planning on switching everything over to the Fidelity 2% card, but I think I will supplement with the Amazon Store Card and its 5% rewards for purchases there. We are already Prime members, so it seems like a no-brainer. Yes it will be another credit card hit on the credit report, but overall I think that is worth it.
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #30

I also have the Fidelity rewards card (2% back on everything - no annual fee)
& have no plans of changing. It's just too simple & easy
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

PFCU devalued its points a while back. It now takes about 6000 points to get a $50 debit card. Still use it for gas and groceries, though, as that's still more than 2% cash back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
II also use PFCU cash CC to get 5% off gas.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #32

Look at www.nerdwallet.com to do comparisons also.

I use Capital One Venture for double miles on everything (we travel enough to make this worthwhile); Amex Blue for gas and groceries, and...

I did it....I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve with the 100,000 bonus miles for $450. I think that offer just expired or is about to expire. I have never churned but decided to try one card at a time for offers and see how it goes. I already got $300 of free travel, a free lounge pass card, and you get 3X miles on dining. And the miles are worth 1.5 cents if you buy travel through their website. So I'll get $1500+ in free travel this year, and cancel the card after 11 months before the fee hits again. Seems worth it to me!