Need advice on a real estate sale - house might sell above asking price

Any advice on the ideal time windows for a first and possible second bidding round? Some realtors suggest 2-4 weeks for the first round, but that seems crazy long to me.

I have showings until Saturday. Would it be too quick if I afterwards asked for bids until, say, Wednesday at midnight? Should it be a full week instead?

I think you want to strike while the iron is hot.... tell them that there are multiple offers at the list price so you will accept bids until midnight on Monday. At that point the highest bidder with a promise to finance letter will be the winner.

OP, ill share my current experience on this exact subject. My home is currently in escrow and scheduled to close in 2 weeks. My agent listed the house on the low end of estimates in hopes of a quick and clean process of multiple bidders. The house was on the market for 1 week with 4 open houses. We had many people tour over that 7 days and interested buyers were instructed to submit a sealed bid by the end of the week. We had 7 bidders and the agent put them on a spread sheet comparing offers, terms, qualifications etc. We selected 4 of the bids within 48 hours of the offers and had each party submit a revised and final offer. One party sent me letters and on line connections, another bid a clause to meet the top offer plus $10K, and the others simply raised their price. We chose a couple who appeared to be the best suited financially and who visited the house on all 4 open house dates. Finally they offered to let me remain in the homes for a month after closing for $1. Overall, the final price was 107% of asking price. While I was somewhat skeptical of this process, the agent convinced me that starting with a low offering price and creating a bid scenario was the best approach. They were right in that strategy. Now, if we only had 1 bidder I would have felt differently.

Just to share another learning, we have live security cameras in our house. I was a bit worried about opening my house to the public. So, we posted a sign as people came over that the property was under video surveillance. If something went missing we had a video of the showings. Well worth the investment in this technology.

OP, ill share my current experience on this exact subject. My home is currently in escrow and scheduled to close in 2 weeks. My agent listed the house on the low end of estimates in hopes of a quick and clean process of multiple bidders. The house was on the market for 1 week with 4 open houses. We had many people tour over that 7 days and interested buyers were instructed to submit a sealed bid by the end of the week. We had 7 bidders and the agent put them on a spread sheet comparing offers, terms, qualifications etc. We selected 4 of the bids within 48 hours of the offers and had each party submit a revised and final offer. One party sent me letters and on line connections, another bid a clause to meet the top offer plus $10K, and the others simply raised their price. We chose a couple who appeared to be the best suited financially and who visited the house on all 4 open house dates. Finally they offered to let me remain in the homes for a month after closing for $1. Overall, the final price was 107% of asking price. While I was somewhat skeptical of this process, the agent convinced me that starting with a low offering price and creating a bid scenario was the best approach. They were right in that strategy. Now, if we only had 1 bidder I would have felt differently.

Just to share another learning, we have live security cameras in our house. I was a bit worried about opening my house to the public. So, we posted a sign as people came over that the property was under video surveillance. If something went missing we had a video of the showings. Well worth the investment in this technology.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Franklin. 'Our' house is completely empty now, so I'm not afraid of theft.

Update: We have a solid offer, including a bank guarantee, at asking price! Woohoo!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Franklin. 'Our' house is completely empty now, so I'm not afraid of theft.

I am in a big city in the west coast and nearly all homes are sold fixed up or staged. For most folks the house is their biggest asset so it makes sense to market it aggressively, thus spending the bucks to stage and make it look top notch. At least in our market this adds about 3 or 4 times the stage cost and moves quicker. Ive no idea how Germany does this. Anyway, good luck and I hope you go over the asking!

Sounds like you have committed to an offer...

But, if a seller market it is fine to go back and try and get a higher price... at the end of my mega work I was in the real estate area and saw some of the selling of property... they would request offers for a certain date... go through them to see if there were any contingencies and rate them.. then they would go back to the parties stating the highest offer and ask for 'last and final'... which were actually not last and final I found out... but some dropped out and other upped the offer...

The other thing is how much supply is available... when selling my mom's condo recently I had looked and found only 3 had sold in the past 8 years.. so put my price up... but then found out that another was up for sale... and then a 3rd!! I had to lower my price but still go more than I was willing to sell it for...

Sounds like you have committed to an offer...

Absolutely not, what makes you think so? I'm just happy to have a legitimate offer at a price that's better than I had expected. But I think I'll get several more, possibly even higher ones. And, as described above, if there are several identical ones, I will ask for last and final offers (and I will be true to my word and not play any games).

I've no idea how Germany does this.

Most homes are sold unrenovated. The thinking is, why put in flooring that the buyer might not like? And you usually don't get back the investment of fixing it up anyway. There are some flippers who try to buy cheap, do some superficial improvements, and sell at a profit. But that's almost impossible to do profitably, since the closing costs here are extremely high:
  • Notary fees = 2%
  • Property Purchase Tax = 3.5% here, up to 6.5% in other states
  • Estate Agent fees = 3.57%

Staging is getting more common I think, especially in upscale and luxury markets. In our case, there's no way to stage a 40-year old bathroom. :LOL:

Absolutely not, what makes you think so? I'm just happy to have a legitimate offer at a price that's better than I had expected. But I think I'll get several more, possibly even higher ones. And, as described above, if there are several identical ones, I will ask for last and final offers (and I will be true to my word and not play any games).

Good to know...

The only games that I know of for the mega last and final was some offers said they would beat any legitimate offer by a certain amount... IOW they were willing to pay a lot more than they wanted to commit to and was hoping nobody else was bidding up the price...

But I am like you, when I agree on a price I stick with it... it has worked for me on the very few buys and sells I have done...

The only games that I know of for the mega last and final was some offers said they would beat any legitimate offer by a certain amount... IOW they were willing to pay a lot more than they wanted to commit to and was hoping nobody else was bidding up the price...

Good to know. Guess I should be prepared for that possibility, too...

I think the right way to handle that would be to insist on them giving me a specific figure rather than "best offer +X"?

I have another follow-up question: In your opinion, what is the proper answer to the question 'what's the best offer so far?' ?
I have replied something to the tune of 'I'm not comfortable sharing exact amounts with you, but we are quite happy with the offers we have received.'

Should I instead tell them bluntly that we expect to sell at or over asking?

I have another follow-up question: In your opinion, what is the proper answer to the question 'what's the best offer so far?' ?
I have replied something to the tune of 'I'm not comfortable sharing exact amounts with you, but we are quite happy with the offers we have received.'

If you're taking sealed bids until Wednesday, then I'd just reiterate "I can't comment on that, as we're still accepting sealed bids through midnight on Wednesday", or something to that effect. If pressed, I might add "It would defeat the purpose of asking for best and final offers if we shared bid information."

Update: With yesterday being a bank holiday here, we went with the 'offers until Wednesday' approach. Got another one slightly under asking and expect more to come. Will keep you posted!

If I were you, I wouldn't keep the original offerer hanging out there too long. See if you can get any more offers within a week, and if not, enter into a contract with the first offerer. If you do get additional offers, weigh the pros and cons of the offers before making a decision. But I wouldn't risk escalating a bidding war in fear of losing your first offerer.
+1

Cheers!

Offer #4 just came in at 30,000€ over asking!!

Might be time to reel them in.

Cheers!

I set a deadline for tomorrow, and I'm committed to keeping the promise I gave all bidders that I wouldn't close before that time. But yes, I'm 98% sure that this bidder is the one.

Congratulations! What a wonderful outcome.

No need to send in the 5% "E-R Forum Fee" until after the closing. :angel:

I set a deadline for tomorrow, and I'm committed to keeping the promise I gave all bidders that I wouldn't close before that time. But yes, I'm 98% sure that this bidder is the one.

Assuming no higher bids, are you comfortable that they are well-qualified and able to close?

Assuming no higher bids, are you comfortable that they are well-qualified and able to close?

I have no reason to believe that they would be any less qualified than the other interested parties, yes.

I would reply with
"acceptable", "unacceptable", or "above expectations".
if they asked why, I might comment on cash vs mortgage, or contingencies I wanted removed. I would never comment about the amount though.

Back
Top Bottom