Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Need financial gratification?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #21

Quote:
He does like coloring in the bar chart when we reach another milestone!
Do you allow him to use colored pencils, or make him stick with crayons?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

I'm an exception then...
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
I'm an exception then...

DW takes care of all the finances. There was a time about 10 years ago when I agreed to clean the cat boxes if she'd do the money stuff. It's worked out well since. I get an allowance whenever I ask for one, and she buys me more toys than I deserve.
I like it that way.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
Calgary Girl/CJ/Outahere ---* *Guess we are all in the same boat.* I pay the bills, keep a financial statement, keep track of investments, etc., etc.*
I'm pretty much in that boat, too. DH and I split the bills, but I handle the investments and keep track of everything.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm torn between making an open ended marriage proposal to all of the women frugally managing their money and keeping quiet about my situation.* My DW is totally clueless about our finances.* She spends to what's in the checkbook and then gets real worried about our finances.* I have multiple accounts and only move an ureasonably small amout of money in that doesn't reduce my savings plan.

I have tried to educate her and enroll her in the goal of ER.* Her eyes glaze over and I realize she doesn't care.* I've decided it must be somewhat genetic since I've started managing my FIL's money.* He obviously hadn't planned to live as long as he has.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #25

In general, I plan and DH implements. I do all financial research and decide what to do, then I might have him do any implementation aspects I dislike. For example, I decided to open an account at PenFed. So I had him deal with joining that military association, talking to the folks at PenFed, and actually moving the money from the account I specified to the PenFed account and then buying the CDs I specified. I track it from there and will tell him what to do as each CD expires. DH has no interest in figuring out what to do, and I hate dealing with the details. He also pays the bills, submits medical bills for reimbursement, assembles tax info, and such. He procrastinates, but eventually does it. Neither of us is organized about paperwork and such--we could really use a wife*
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same here. I do all the money. She has a checkbook, an ATM card and a couple of credit cards. "Buy what you want...when it gets into four digits+, check with me so I can make sure theres enough money in the account".

Whenever I start telling her about the finances she humors me by pretending to listen. Once a quarter she does a good acting job of making a brief lament about not knowing anything about the money situation.

Its more or less an "allocated job", like mowing the lawn.

I wrote her a 3 page "where our money is, why its there, how the bills get paid, and what to do if I get hit by a bus" letter. Then I put that, digital copies of our wills, copies of all of our tax forms for the last 5 years, a file with a list of all of our on and offline accounts with passwords, and everything else that seemed relevant onto a crappy 16MB secure digital card that came with one of our old digital cameras.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Senor Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny

...I wrote her a 3 page "where our money is, why its there, how the bills get paid, and what to do if I get hit by a bus" letter.* Then I put that, digital copies of our wills, copies of all of our tax forms for the last 5 years, a file with a list of all of our on and offline accounts with passwords, and everything else that seemed relevant onto a crappy 16MB secure digital card that came with one of our old digital cameras.
I am working on the same kind of thing. A sort of "I'm dead now you have to deal with all this stuff" lettter. I am also trying to reduce the accounts I have and consolidating assets into few places (Vanguard) to keep the task of finding all the eggs I have hidden over the years. I have all the files in the safe and she has the combination. Just about everything is in there including notes on my mother's accounts and my late wife's Trust accounts. I just need to keep the files on accounts and passwords up to date.

I hope to get down to 4-5 institutions for our stuff...would like 1 what that is not practice right now. Too many accounts for other people than just us to take care of but if I were to drop dead today.....she would have a really good tool to go by or pass on to the next Trustee. There is a lot to be said for living simply.........I will work on that.