Join Early Retirement Today

Need help in doing IRS form to report qualified Roth IRA distribution
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
gone traveling

Need help in doing IRS form to report qualified Roth IRA distribution

OK, here is my situation. I have a certain amount of lifetime Roth contributions and Roth conversions seasoned at least 5 years that have not been exhausted by earlier Roth distributions, and therefore am able to take a qualified distribution from a Roth account. However, my custodian will not honor my request to document this distribution as being qualified.

So, as the IRS will get a form stating that this distribution is non-qualified, I need to know how to properly document this distribution. I called the IRS, and was told to fill out a form 5598, which doesn't exist , but probably was meant to be 5498, that itself only seems to deal correcting a mistake in contribution for the current tax year, and does not address the distribution. . And of course, the custodian won't even tell me what form to fill out, and I was advised to hire a tax advisor.

So I figure that before I waste more time with the IRS help, I should ask the folks here - hopefully, someone has been in this situation and knows what to do.

On a side note, I'd like to know of any good brokerage that also has a bank on the side that makes distributions to a checking account painless - and obviously one that would allow me to dictate the terms of the reporting to the IRS. And also, allows me to do no-fee no-load mutual fund trades. I'm considering being a full Boglehead on this account - does Vanguard hve a checking account? And by checking account, I mean one that would allow me to have vendors automatically debit payments and me to get cash from an ATM - not just simply check writing privileges.

Oh, and don't recommend the stagecoach bank - they're the ones screwing me over.
swampwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WellsFargo/WellsTrade PMA package is a combined checking account with a brokerage account. If you have $25K of assets, then everything is free. You can even buy/sell Vanguard mutual fund shares without paying a commission which no other broker offers, not even Vanguard Brokerage Services.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
WellsFargo/WellsTrade PMA package is a combined checking account with a brokerage account. If you have $25K of assets, then everything is free. You can even buy/sell Vanguard mutual fund shares without paying a commission which no other broker offers, not even Vanguard Brokerage Services.
Like I said, the stagecoach bank is screwing me over on this. Otherwise, their deal is very good.
swampwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well, you don't have far to go: Bank of America can screw you over as well. I think their deal is now with ML Edge.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

suggest you ask here in the retirement subforum
Fairmark Forum :: Retirement Savings and Benefits
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
OK, here is my situation. I have a certain amount of lifetime Roth contributions and Roth conversions seasoned at least 5 years that have not been exhausted by earlier Roth distributions, and therefore am able to take a qualified distribution from a Roth account. However, my custodian will not honor my request to document this distribution as being qualified.

So, as the IRS will get a form stating that this distribution is non-qualified, I need to know how to properly document this distribution. I called the IRS, and was told to fill out a form 5598, which doesn't exist , but probably was meant to be 5498, that itself only seems to deal correcting a mistake in contribution for the current tax year, and does not address the distribution. . And of course, the custodian won't even tell me what form to fill out, and I was advised to hire a tax advisor.

So I figure that before I waste more time with the IRS help, I should ask the folks here - hopefully, someone has been in this situation and knows what to do.

On a side note, I'd like to know of any good brokerage that also has a bank on the side that makes distributions to a checking account painless - and obviously one that would allow me to dictate the terms of the reporting to the IRS. And also, allows me to do no-fee no-load mutual fund trades. I'm considering being a full Boglehead on this account - does Vanguard hve a checking account? And by checking account, I mean one that would allow me to have vendors automatically debit payments and me to get cash from an ATM - not just simply check writing privileges.

Oh, and don't recommend the stagecoach bank - they're the ones screwing me over.
Are you >= 59 1/2? Has it been at least 5 years since Jan 1 of the year in which you made your first Roth investment?

If yes to both, this is a qualified distribution. If no to either, it is more complicated and you need to go through other tests.

Life is too short to deal with mistreatment of this form. Do not take any withdrawals from this custodian, find a service oriented broker like Fidelity, Schwab or E-Trade, or perhaps Vanguard, and rollover to a Roth with them. At E-Trade as little as $250K gets you some special status and access to a local human to help you out.

Ha