Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Need Help with Credit Card Info
Old 02-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I've carried BOA Alaska Airlines Gold/Platnimum cards now for almost two decades. $45/75 /yr gets you one. The Platinum comes with a $50 companion fare cert, miles never expire, great partner network. Quick and fair resolutions for chargebacks. Don't know about currency conversion. EVERY purchase I make (with the exception of Costco purchases, which go on Costco's Executive membership/AMEX card combination), as well as all of my utilities, go on this card. Check it out...

dc

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Professor, if you have accounts at Chase other than the credit card, you might just ask them to waive the fees. I got dinged the other day with the $65 fee. I called my "personal banker" at Chase and she reversed them. Of course, I did this now, while I am still using their FA. I'm planning to change that arrangement soon, so I won't have that "leverage". Will probably use the miles and ditch the card at that time.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:52 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks GOE---

I dumped one card and got another ski miles card w/o having to pay a fee. I pay my card (I'm down to one) off each month. Today I asked for an increase on my limit for those occasional times when I might have some serious spending--they jumped me from $6,000 to $11,000. I also moved my payment due date to give me some breathing room to avoid those damned late fees they love to impose.

I must say the last time or two I spoke to Chase, I received impeccable service. But I'll drop 'em in a heartbeat if they ever try to screw me again.

Professor
Old 02-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Fulla BS
It works, but the number of vendors who give you the higher percentages is small.
Is there any reason not to sign up for it? It seems like the number of online merchants is reasonably large and even includes some magazines and newspapers. The "fine print" says that some merchants may charge fees . . . don't know if that ruins the program. I also wonder if the online merchants charge higher prices through the "network" versus what they charge elsewhere.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure. I wonder why you have to sign up for it separately? If its all good and there are no downsides, why do they need your permission to give you good deals? That just makes a few hairs on the back of my neck go up and smack right into the back of the tin foil hat...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just back from a week overseas using the Pentagon Federal Credit Union visa card (Plantinum rewards, no fee, 1.25% back) They don't add anything to Visa's 1% fee for foreign transactions, but can't do anything about the 1%. Better than 2 or 3% charged by other banks who tack their own insults onto the Visa-mandated injury.

One thing that I did want to alert people to though: they cut off my card midweek for suspected fraudulent use. I called them, assured them it was me, and they sorted it out right away but suggested I call PFCU every time I was going overseas and let them know so it wouldn't happen again. Amex never did that - could be the next frontier in fraud free credit card use, but it is always a bit of a pain to have your card refused someplace then find they don't take Amex (backup). Back to paying with good old US $100 bills (buried in the recesses of the wallet as the final backup)
Old 02-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I got in the habit years ago of calling the credit card companies and the bank a week before I went on a trip somewhere far away that I'd never been. If you tend to travel mostly locally and then all of a sudden go somewhere a good distance away, or travel just a bit inside the US and then suddenly go to europe, a lot of the card companies will shut you off. If you call, they'll not do that to you.

The first time I drove across the US, on a relatively spontaneous basis, I got as far as a gas station in either wyoming or utah. I handed the woman behind the counter for my gas, and she cut it in half and then stepped back and said the credit card company had advised her to do it. I called them and they gave me the line about possible fraudulent use.

Gee, thats nice to watch out for me, but how about waiting to cut the card in half? Fortunately I had another... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #48

;I guess in my old days I was a 'big spender' and the cc companies knew... looks like this is one of those unknown potholes awaiting early retiree LBYMers who no longer charge company expenses to their personal cards and live the high burn lifestyle. Hey, if calling the credit union before I leave the country is all it takes, its a tradeoff i'll make
Old 02-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Crap...I bought a $250 cell phone a couple of weeks ago and citibank called me to see if it was actually me... :P

Guess my big spender days are over...
Old 02-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #50

Next thing you know we'll be trying to sneak into dinner at 5:00 at Smorgybob's and qualify for our senior citizen discounts. 8)
Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Funny you should mention that. We saw "smorgabobs" on rte 80 up east of the east bay on our drive out to california the first time. Never ate there. But whenever we couldnt decide what to go eat, my GF at the time use to put on her best "hopeful happy face" and say "Lets go to smorgabobs!".

Havent thought about that in yearssss...

I figure to have to put about 15 more years wear and tear on myself before I'll try to BS my way into getting the senior discount... uhh.. I think...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #52

I know, I hadn't seen one in years either, but they were a fixture among the frugal over-60-set when I was a kid -- I suppose they're long gone now. Supersizing of American appetites probably made that particular business model a dicey one...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Nooooo...I just looked and Smorgabobs is still alive and well in Valejo California...right off of route 80 and a short drive from Oakland and San Francisco!

I imagine the "Hometown Buffet" has replaced them nationwide.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #54

Yikes, still the same greasy chicken, I bet.
Last time I drived through Vallejo, Coffee Tree (Nut Tree?) was out of business-- a distinctive landmark there now pushed aside by massive shopping centers all along that part of 80. I remember seeing Vallejo listed as one of the highest growth areas in the U.S. in the past few years.

Oops, I think we hijacked this thread about credit cards... ok, back to rebates and percentages and late fees...
Old 02-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Crap...I bought a $250 cell phone a couple of weeks ago and citibank called me to see if it was actually me... :P

I guess you didn't tell them about the Lexus
Old 02-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
I figure to have to put about 15 more years wear and tear on myself before I'll try to BS my way into getting the senior discount... uhh.. I think...
"Certainly, sir, would that be a table for you, your daughter, and your grandson?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I *actually* had a chickie giving out balloons at the local mall come up to me while I was holding gabe and say "Would you like a balloon for your grandson?".

I've never felt the simultaneous need to provide for an offspring and to kick someones ass before, all in the same heartbeat.

I said "this is my son, THATS his grandfather (pointing to my dad 2 paces behind us staring at the chickies in the skimpy outfits). Thanks for the balloon". I felt somewhat unfulfilled.

Then again, this is the "land" of teenaged pregnancies... :P
Old 02-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #58

TH,
Welcome to our side of the hill!

Hey, can you tell us why every thread seems to have Jennifer over everyone's name on all the posts? Have you been hacking your profile again?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I believe its big money jennifers doing...
Old 02-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 8

I was getting notices for a while from Citibank the few times I charged my CC for my auto insurance and other non-merchandise charges. I don't think they bother checking to see who the merchant (Geico) is. If they checked the date, they would have seen that I had a similar charge the same time the previous years.