Need Input - Tipping

MRG, My plan covers a set number of massage and/or PT visits per year with a written prescription for treatment. Ask your PCP for a massage Rx for a specific treatment, i.e. low back pain x12 visits. The masseuse will always ask what you want worked on and will veer off the strict confines of the Rx after the first visit. aaronc879 has a good point though about meeting deductible first. My insurance just changed (for the worse, go figure!) this last year. Previously I only had to pay copay but as of this last year I had to pay my deductible first. I had already done so before I began using massage visits for the year.

Very simple. If you want to continue to feel a that you are a valued client, tip

If this is not important to you, don't tip.

This.

If she gives you service which you feel is worthy of a tip, you tip. If not, don't. You are not obligated to tip... ever (except if the restaurant includes tip in the bill, I suppose). But a lot of the time it's the right thing to do for good or exceptional service.

Time for new glasses :) ? Actually it is, mentioned at the very end of your link to Emily's guidelines for tipping:

Whoops it is time for glasses. Actually I see better reading wise to dump my bifocals, sorry for the inaccurate post. :banghead:

Thank you GreenER.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I know! The nerve of some people, appreciating extra $$. :D

It says "appreciate," not "expect," and that fits well with Freebird's philosophy of bestowing tips where they are deserved but not expected.

Amethyst

I am shocked! Shocked!

Our hair beautician recently left the salon and set up shop out of her home. Today was my first visit to her since she set up shop in her home. She is now self employed. I had my hair colored and cut (as usual) and added my typical tip. It just occurred to me if I should still tip since she is self employed?

Thoughts?
You are proposing to give her a pay cut? She is used to getting a tip from you and I think she would see a non-tip or reduced tip as a bad (perhaps hurtful) sign.

Most people have a nice relationship with the hair stylist and would want to keep it going. My wife even has lunch with her hair stylist. That doesn't mean the relationship is built on money transfers, but reducing the payment could poison the relationship.

Just my thoughts.

When my stylist raised her rates to a level beyond my budget, I told her I could pay her rate with no tip or I'd have to find someone else to cut my hair. I felt rather uncomfortable doing that, but thought it was better than just never showing up again.

My car mechanic is important to me, so is my Doctor and Dentist - I've never tipped either one. I think that tipping has much more ritual/convention surrounding it than simply the value of the services provided.
I am a practical person. I didn't set out to write a treatise on tipping, only to answer the specific question which had to do with a self employed hairdresser. But recently even medicos have found a way to be tipped, handsomely at that. It's called concierge medicine.

Ha

I am a practical person. I didn't set out to write a treatise on tipping, only to answer the specific question which had to do with a self employed hairdresser. But recently even medicos have found a way to be tipped, handsomely at that. It's called concierge medicine.

Ha

Right, that's what I was getting at with the phrase 'I think that tipping has much more ritual/convention surrounding it than simply the value of the services provided.'.

There was another post about a 'pay cut' w/o the tip. I'm not sure that's accurate, this person is also eliminating the 'middle-man', so maybe getting everything is her 'tip'?

-ERD50

hmmm... does this mean I should tip DW when she cuts my hair? hmmm... will she tip back when I cut her's?

Right, that's what I was getting at with the phrase 'I think that tipping has much more ritual/convention surrounding it than simply the value of the services provided.'.

There was another post about a 'pay cut' w/o the tip. I'm not sure that's accurate, this person is also eliminating the 'middle-man', so maybe getting everything is her 'tip'?

-ERD50

Each state has it's own cosmology board that set their rules. Booth rental or a percentage of services(don't think tips are split) are the only 2 I know of. Seems each state allows just one.

Think were talking about WA state and they're booth rental. Depending on area they can be as little as $50 - to much much more. But the owner now has to get sinks, chairs, dryers non of that is cheap. Perhaps throw in remodeling costs. Then there's insurance she must purchase. Of course she needs to have her shop inspection, business license, electric and water expenses......Point I'm making is we wouldn't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Interesting responses. Interesting how some professions are expected to get tips while others not so much.
At one point I led yoga, Pilates and cycle classes (group and private). Never received tips and never expected too. I made significantly less than my hairdresser (I get my hair colored). In fact on the rare occasion I get a massage, it is less expensive than my hairdresser, but some don't feel they should be tipped ( I do tip). Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This thread made me think about who I do tip if the service justifies.

1. Barber (owner of one man shop)
2. Restaurant server
3. Bartender
4. Fishing guide
5. Mail person at Xmas
6. Staff (housekeepers, servers, fish cleaner, etc.) at fishing lodge
7. Some one time, ad hoc situations such as the mechanic who made emergency repairs on the RV after hours, the guys who delivered and neatly stacked my cord of firewood last month and the lawn guys who moved some of DW's heavy landscaping boulders and I didn't have to......

Last edited:
I never tip the owner - whether it's at a car shop, a bar or a barber shop

Back
Top Bottom