Join Early Retirement Today

Need recommendations for my Roth...
Old 01-18-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Need recommendations for my Roth...

Hey everyone....

My Roth did well for 2004. Now I am looking towards 2005 contributions, buy-ins, etc.

Here's what I have:

$1000 VFINX (500 Index)
$1000 VGTSX (International Index)
$1000 NAESX (Small Cap Index)

As you Vanguard people know, most of their funds require $1000 buy-ins.

So, where do I allocate my $4000, which translates to possibly 4 new funds?

Thanks.
LRAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Need recommendations for my Roth...
Old 01-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you're happy with the 3 funds you have now, why not split the money between them?
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

LRAO, a response would require more information. Is the $3000 you listed the total of your investment portfolio currently? How far are you from retirement? Do you have all the other bases covered (insurances, emergency fund, no credit card debt, etc.)?

Also, doesn't Vanguard zing small accounts with various fees? If you're in that situation, I'd consider consolidating everything into one of their Lifestyle or Target funds to keep those fees to a minimum. Just two of those $10 fees on a $1,000 account is 2%, which is ten times what I'm paying.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Bob,

No, it's just my Roth.

I maxed out my SEP-IRA last year. Am on pace to max that out again this year.

I have 6 months of living expenses sitting in an ING account.

I have no credit card debt.

I'm 27, 3 years out of school.

Thanks for asking!
LRAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you have an overall asset allocation plan? *If so, then allocate the money in the Roth to bring or keep your funds in balance with your plan. *If you don't have a plan then make one first.

Even if you do have a plan you may need to deviate from it somewhat with small portfolios to avoid excessive fees as Bob_Smith suggests. *One way to do this is to keep your asset allocation simple until you have a larger portfolio and then to diversify more.

If your overall portfolio is large but this account is small then keep only one asset class in the small account. *For example, my wife's IRA isn't very large as a percentage of our total portfolio but what we do is put all the money in the IRA into one asset class. *Even then it's not enough to max out that asset class as per our asset allocation plan. *We then use another account to get the rest of that asset class that we want and we use that other account to do rebalancing of that asset class.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote