Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by nun View Post
An IRR of 3.7% and a payout rate of 6.2% (using the quoted lumps sums and payouts starting at 55 and assuming an average life span) is better than you will find on the open market.
Thanks for confirming the reason I hate annuitization. IMO the only one that makes out on that transaction is the insurance company.

Quit my J.O.B to become a farmer/rancher - December 2011
Now working part time from home on contract to support prior employer.
Aeowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Aeowyn View Post
Thanks for confirming the reason I hate annuitization. IMO the only one that makes out on that transaction is the insurance company.
Well going with the pension rather than the lump sum is effectively taking an annuity. If you took the lump sum you couldn't buy an lifetime SPIA with better terms, but you would have all the usual options available of how to invest that money. Personally I'd lock in the guaranteed income from the pension in the expectation of living an average lifespan and getting 3.7% annual interest and invest the rest if my portfolio in something like Vanguard Total Stock Market and maybe even se riskier areas

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote