Join Early Retirement Today
Need to buy more bond funds to rebalance
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Need to buy more bond funds to rebalance

Hello All - please give me your thoughts and recommendations. I am 4 years from retirement but I am still, at this time, too heavy into stocks. 85% stocks, 15% bonds. I need to rebalance and would like to be at 70/30, then 60/40 2 years from now, and at retirement 55/45.

I need to buy some bond funds in order to accomplish this, can you please recommend several bond funds that I should consider buying into? I promise to do my own research before doing anything but I believe that I can benefit from the savvy investors in this Forum by asking for your thoughts and recommendation on bond funds to look into.

Thank you All!

Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Pimco Total Return if you want something that is managed

Vanguard Total Bond Market for simplicity and low fees.

nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
VWAHX, then VWALX has treated me very well. All federally TE dividends, 30 day compound.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...
Another possibility is to buy some CDs.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
My opinion is that you need to decide where you want to be with respect the the following four issues:

1) TIPS vs nominal bonds (I am 33/67)
2) Treasuries vs Corporate Bonds. (I am 50/50 for the non-TIPS))
3) Short Term vs Intermediate Term (I am 50/50 for the non-TIPS)
4) Taxable vs non-Taxable (I am 95/5 for the non-TIPS)

Once you have made this decision, use the following bond funds to implement

VG Tax Exempt Short Term
VG Short Term Investment Grade
VG Short Term Treasury
VG Tax Exempt Intermediate Term
VG Intermediate Term Investment Grade
VG Intermediate Term Treasury
Inflation-Protected Securities

I would avoid any long term bond funds. You mileage will vary WRT the ratios I have listed.

I guess you also need to decide 5) Do you want any exposure to mortgage backed securities? I choose no myself. I did have 50% TIPS, which I purchased at 3.5-4% yield. I have since sold 34% of them, believing the TIPS down side is much greater than the upside at the present date.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Personally, I have stopped putting more money into bond funds. I mostly buy CDs now.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...
Hi Retire2014,

I like the Vanguard Total Bond Market fund to keep it simple.

For the rebalancing, are you doing those within a retirement account or outside of one? The main reason I'm asking is because if within that can be a taxable event.

When I rebalance, I first try to do so within my IRA accounts, then after that with outside of retirement accounts. (I'm an indexer with Vanguard, so have both Total Bond Market, Total Stock Market, Total International Market, Prime Money Market funds both under an IRA and outside and rebalance them as so).

Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I agree with Brewer and Firedreamer here.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...
VG has a number of low cost bond funds.

CDs make sense too.

The decision should be based on specific goals, needs and tolerance for risk (potential drop in value).

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote