Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2019, 02:17 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Germany is running budget surpluses. So in addition to asking why their bonds are selling at negative interest rates, we should be asking why they are issuing bonds at all.
It's simply a rollover of older, expiring bonds. The total national debt is declining, both in relation to GDP and in absolute terms: https://www.smava.de/eurozone-schulden-uhr

And yes, there is talk about taking on more new debt and using the revenue for investments in infrastructure or education (not tax cuts, that's not how we roll ). But the government's hands are somewhat tied by the 'debt-brake' implemented in 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_brake_(Germany)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If Germany's government either cannot or does not need to borrow money, who can blame them for not paying any interest?

The question is then, why businesses and people have no other places to put their money to use? Is it really that economic condition can be so bad, such that people do not want to invest in anything?

It makes me wonder if this is what we are coming to in the developed world. All the easy investments with good returns are gone. All that is left is either fluff, or too hard and has little return. Yes, we can use more miracle cancer cures, but those are difficult and very costly to get. How many more smartphones/TVs/laptops can we use? Bigger homes?

I don't know what it is, but I do not like it. A decade ago easily, I read of Japan's problem with stimulating its economy. They had a lot of money, but nowhere to put it to good use.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

You have to be creative and give the people what they want before they want it.

Like facebook which evolved from a college dating site.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:22 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
US is losing in the trade war and tariffs are paid by US consumers, not China. China is going to tap other markets and only the US farmers are losing out. The media gets it - the US government is not getting it.
+1 So many US citizens are not getting it either.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #65

U.S. tariffs are among the lowest in the world – and in the nation’s history.... How did we get here?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You have to be creative and give the people what they want before they want it.

Like facebook which evolved from a college dating site.

The US has the record of having the most creative entrepreneurs, as evidenced by all the inventions and innovations that started here first.

A lot of wealth is created. It however adds to the wealth and wage disparity that people often lament about.

Can anyone find something worthwhile for Joe and Jane Doe to do to make a decent living?

Oops, perhaps this post should be in the other thread about the decline of rural towns.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-06-2019, 04:42 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you think if I paid my part of the national debt today, I could get a lifetime pass on future federal taxes?
davidfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfin View Post
Do you think if I paid my part of the national debt today, I could get a lifetime pass on future federal taxes?
The debt will get paid regardless of whether you pay your taxes or not.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I would say the debt will be rolled over regardless of whether you pay your taxes or not.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I would say the debt will be rolled over regardless of whether you pay your taxes or not.
I agree the debt will be rolled over. However, there is an impact if you do not pay any principle. For example: If a home borrower has a mortgage that pays zero principle but an interest of 3%, the remaining balance goes up. If that home borrower can sell bonds to cover the 3% interest rates, then the principle balance of the original loan does not go up ....but now there is an additional principle from the bond that pays for the interest. Nothing is free and rolling over a debt is one of them.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #71

The federal gov't could sell $1000 lottery tickets, the prize being no income taxes for life. It would be a way to get high-income people to play a lottery.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The federal gov't could sell $1000 lottery tickets, the prize being no income taxes for life. It would be a way to get high-income people to play a lottery.
Great idea. Here is another one. Give the 1% or CEO who took the tax reduction and have the company buy their own stock. When the company back back stock, the stock prices tends to rise so the CEO can cash out their stock options. Change the tax law to tax them retroactively.....or give them an option to donate money to the federal government to pay down the government national debt. Any ideas to get the rich to pay more taxes should be on the table.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #73

Quote:
I could never understand how weaker economies in Europe pay less interest on bonds than US.
Perhaps people are concluding the opposite on relative economic strength when betting their own money, thinking that the lower interest rate buys them a currency with appreciation potential relative to the US Dollar.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I could never understand how weaker economies in Europe pay less interest on bonds than US.
Simple - a growing economy usually commands higher interest rates. If an economy falters, interest rates usually drop.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Simple - a growing economy usually commands higher interest rates. If an economy falters, interest rates usually drop.
Here is a good article on negative interest rates in Germany:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/busin...tes/index.html

Bottomline: Pick your poison: Recession or Negative interest rates.

It appears that Germany decided on the latter. Ironically, the recession may happen anyway. This is the reason that I believe the USA will pick the former and stop at 0.5% to zero.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
Here is a good article on negative interest rates in Germany:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/busin...tes/index.html

Bottomline: Pick your poison: Recession or Negative interest rates.

It appears that Germany decided on the latter. Ironically, the recession may happen anyway. This is the reason that I believe the USA will pick the former and stop at 0.5% to zero.
Well, what if you still have recession despite negative interest rates? Two poisons will kill you for sure.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

So which has more risk, the growing economy or the the one that is faltering?
Old 09-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, what if you still have recession despite negative interest rates? Two poisons will kill you for sure.
Good quote. Deutsche Bank is Germany's Lehman's Brothers or too big to fail. It will be interesting if Germany will bail out Deutsche Bank or let it go bankrupt which may trigger panic. In any case, I am hoping for a mild short recession rather than a severe long one where a lot of people loses their jobs. IMO the root cause is debt. If Germany or the USA had less debt, you can spend your way out to stimulate the economy. Germany is now thinking about going deeper into debt for a last stand stimulus program to avoid the recession. This is like taking another poison if it does not work.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

A big factor of Germany economy stalling is the worldwide decline in auto sales. Germany exports 80% of the cars it makes. And sales are slowing down from European countries to India and China.

And why are auto sales down? Is it because the economy of the other countries is slowing down too? Things look gloomier all the time.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So which has more risk, the growing economy or the the one that is faltering?
The faltering one, according to conventional measures, so more investors pile into government bonds which lowers interest rates.