Negotiated a CD today

mountaintosea

Full time employment: Posting here.
My main bank is a local credit union. I had a CD come due. I asked them what their current rates were. I told them I was going to move my money. They wanted to know which bank. I told them the Internet. The manager gasped, he said "like what Ing?" I then proceeded to tell him about various Internet banks. He gave me a better rate. He then added in the future that I could negotiate any time. So in the future I'm going to make copies of various interest rates from online banks and see what I can come up with locally. Hmmm kind of fun..... 8)

We have one or two banks here that will negotiate with you, but most won't! The bank I normally do business with is one that won't! I had a CD mature in Dec. and went in to talk to them, and they said their rate was what it was, and they would NOT meet anyone else's s rate. OK...fine! I had them deposit it in my checking account, then went home and opened an 'internet' CD.

I had already moved my savings account to an 'internet' bank, and am going to open an 'internet' checking (with linked CC) VERY soon. My local bank (which charges no monthly fees) will only be used as a temporary holding place for my direct deposits, to get cash, and to transfer $$ to/from my 'internet' accounts.

My Mom is of the same mind. We opened 'internet' savings and CDs for her, also. She wanted a better CD rate, and when they wouldn't match one of the other local bank's, she found out about higher rates online, and had me open those accounts for her. She's pretty progressive for an old gal (80 this year).

The manager at our bank had mentioned once that she could probably match any competing CD rate. So last time I wanted to move some $$, I gave her a call, told her what a local bank was offering. Took her about a day to bump it up to the regional boss, but they matched it....

Back
Top Bottom