Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
BTW, a lot of mega corps will put you right back to where you were in time working at the company for 401(k) and vacation... some even with a 5 year gap...
They may wish to do so, but f they really want to hire you away from another job they don't really have the ability to do so unless you let them.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Been there, done that.

UstaCorp HR Weenie: "Sorry, but our policy is to..."

Me: "Gosh! I have a policy, too... Bye!"

Being in a position of some financial security can be emancipating.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What make you think that you will not be the first to be RIFFed again And the first one in line no less
It's entirely plausible.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
They may wish to do so, but f they really want to hire you away from another job they don't really have the ability to do so unless you let them.

Agree.... but someone mentioned getting paid while waiting to get on some of the benefits like 401(k) etc.... it might not be an issue IF you want to go back....
Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
It's entirely plausible.
Are you working for a competitor now? If so, might previous company have a game plan that really turns out unpleasant for you?

I'd have a hard time going back to a company that let me go recently. Maybe it is just age talking. If you're young(er), then it is probably worth the risk to go back for 10% more. That's something like 3% for each year you weren't there, and 4% to pay you back for inconveniences you went through due to there poor judgment.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Are you working for a competitor now? If so, might previous company have a game plan that really turns out unpleasant for you?

I'd have a hard time going back to a company that let me go recently. Maybe it is just age talking. If you're young(er), then it is probably worth the risk to go back for 10% more. That's something like 3% for each year you weren't there, and 4% to pay you back for inconveniences you went through due to there poor judgment.
No, not a competitor. I will be getting more than 10%. Should another RIF happen again, I would get another 6-month severance package and may call it quit as I am already FI.