Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Up 9.0% (9.8% if you don't count the new car I bought). Assuming the same return for the next 40 years, our probability of success looks mildly favorable.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My TSP increased by 28.35%, including contributions. I haven't checked yet on wife's 401k or our IRA's.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Up 13.5% for 2012. Looking back - up just over 40% since the day I retired (3/28/08).
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #24

Up about 11.2 percent.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #25

Up 7.8% but I lent my ladyfriend some money so she could pay off her high-interest credit cards. Without that loan, I'd be up a little more.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Up 134%

However, I only started getting serious about my finances 2.5 years ago and only started investing for retirement 1.3 years ago. I've also been at my job 3 years and have received raises, the housing market is going up, we're paying extra on our mortgage, and most investments have gone up.

I'm sure my number won't be that high next year!

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket View Post
Up 134%

However, I only started getting serious about my finances 2.5 years ago and only started investing for retirement 1.3 years ago. I've also been at my job 3 years and have received raises, the housing market is going up, we're paying extra on our mortgage, and most investments have gone up.

I'm sure my number won't be that high next year!
Congratulations, but you are right. As your NW rises, the denominator goes up, therefore it becomes progressively more difficult to achieve a high percentage annual increase. It also makes the incentive to work one more year that much less!

My NW increased by ~6%, equivalent to over two years of RE expenses. What's really important is that I really don't want to see a significant decrease in NW during the first year or three of RE.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Who cares about the complexity of your portfolio or your returns for 2012 ! The real question is, how much did your net worth change from 1-1-2012 to 12-31-2012 ?
As reported in the other thread, my 2012 return was 12.2%. As I withdrew 1.6%, to feed myself and the RV among other things, my net worth went up only 10.6%. The values of my houses might have gone up some, but who the heck cares about that?

Starting in 2013, I will be constantly reminded that whatever return I obtain will get that 3.5%WR deducted from it. And the inflation rate too!

The above almost makes a scroogy guy want to go back to work.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

If net worth means change in portfolio balance then mine is up about 2.5 percent. My investment return according to Vanguard was 7.5 percent. I had a new shop built for my woodwork this fall and that made a big dent. What really amazes me is that with the gains from savings and my pension I "made" more than the last year I had a job. Plan B is ready if things go south.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Net worth up 17.1%...we are still working and accumulating...it was a good year.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

NW is up 25% if including only new contributions and market return, more if including a gift from my parents.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

NW up 39%. Still working and saving a lot of our gross income.

We are at the snowballing stage of wealth accumulation where our investment returns are starting to be more than our new contributions to investment accounts (and greater than our gross earned income in 2012). Hitting 20+% investment returns for 2012 helped with that snowballing.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
NW up 39%. Still working and saving a lot of our gross income.

We are at the snowballing stage of wealth accumulation where our investment returns are starting to be more than our new contributions to investment accounts (and greater than our gross earned income in 2012). Hitting 20+% investment returns for 2012 helped with that snowballing.
Congratulations Fuego, especially for reaching that stage with a young family. But keep in mind that many people never reach that happy stage, because they don't save enough, or they leave it too late.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations Fuego, especially for reaching that stage with a young family. But keep in mind that many people never reach that happy stage, because they don't save enough, or they leave it too late.
We just keep plodding away. At the rate we are contributing to retirement accounts, kid related expenses are relatively minor. Of course we haven't had to upgrade the house or cars yet, but a minivan or similar will probably be necessary at some point.

Being FI at 35 is looking more realistic.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

NW up 53% In 2012 on back of saving like a mad man, getting promoted 18 months ago and a huge run in company stock we were aggressive about cashing out.

More importantly, we pushed a couple of huge rocks over the goal line:
House is paid off AND the kids college is 105% funded.

My wife and I did a look back yesterday. Three years ago we owed $400k on the house and were $150k short on the college fund. We decided to focus and eliminate these big obligations. Boy does it feel good to have killed those off!

Still in accumulation mode, but now we can REALLY start to crank on FIREing because all the house excess and all the college savings can go to general savings...and we were big time LBYM before the promotion...so now all of that upside rolls into the general savings/retirement bucket too.

2012 was a good year :-) Onward.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

My NW increased by ~6%, equivalent to over two years of RE expenses. What's really important is that I really don't want to see a significant decrease in NW during the first year or three of RE.
I couldn't agree more. We are so lucky that we retired just after the 2008 crash. I expect we'll see similar in the future but. Each year that passes with net worth increasing increases the confidence that the financial part of retirement is going to work out just peachy.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Up 12.7%. Still working.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Alright, you made me pull out the Quicken for a couple more reports...

Net worth grew 10.4% in 2012. Retired (which means no adding to the pot!)

Inflation was 2.02% thru Nov 2012 (still need Dec), so I think it was a REALly nice year!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just calculated this yesterday. Our net worth is up 20.1%, Portfolio gained 12.7% overall. No kids in college this year so we saved more than usual during the year and increased our charitable giving.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Net worth is up 20.9%, but that includes contributions. Return on investment, however, was about 15.9%
In the net worth game, contributions definitely count for the score! Congrats!