Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your net worth ?
100,000 - 250,000 26 3.89%
250,000-500,000 29 4.33%
500,000-1 million 125 18.68%
1million-2 million 217 32.44%
2million-5 million 216 32.29%
5 million-10 million 44 6.58%
10 million & up 12 1.79%
Voters: 669. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I resent the big spread between 2-5 million. Why not give us credit for achieving an important milestone in between. Poll must have been designed by a member of the lumpen proletariat!

That would be me not Lumpen Proletariat but sadly middle class. Sorry ! I did not know how to divide the numbers but if you are somewhere in that category good for you !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's too bad there is not a choice labeled "Enough". That's what I think most people are after.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
It's too bad there is not a choice labeled "Enough". That's what I think most people are after.
Since surveys consistently show that most people believe that a number which is quite a bit higher than what they have would be sufficient, you might not get many takers....but then again this board is populated by people who retired early which implies either deciding that they have enough or belief in the Mayan calendar.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Don't recall that one NW. Please do tell the story. I'd love to hear it. I adore stories about people supporting each other
Thank you for the interest, but perhaps it is my fault for making it sounded more exciting that it really was.

We had been continuously working since we got married, and we never thought we would retire early. She first supported my desire to quit the megacorp where I had a really secure position to pursue my dream, which of course later turned out to be a mirage. So, it was simply my turn to tell her that it was OK for her not to suffer fools at her workplace, and we would find a way to survive financially, even if I myself would have to go back to a megacorp full-time.

So far, she has been happy being home, and I am still doing some part-time work now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That would be me not Lumpen Proletariat but sadly middle class. Sorry ! I did not know how to divide the numbers but if you are somewhere in that category good for you !
I think Kcowan was just hinting that he had more than 2 but still less than 5, and had to be lumped in with a lower class.

But look at the distribution. With each breakpoint nearly doubling the previous, it turns out to be nearly a textbook log-normal distribution. Equal intervals may not result in such a beautiful Gaussian curve.

Quote:
Yes, but in a way, in the end, we have to be happy with what we've got. Or we have to learn to be.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #105

Quote:
I suspect this choice may get the lowest vote.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Numerous discussions have revolved around the question of "how much" does it take to comfortably retire. While this poll does not directly answer that question, it appears that those on this Board who have successfully retired (and presumably done so comfortably) have a typical net worth of over $1M, and that a substantial number have NWs well in excess of that. Further, few members report lavish lifestyles. Perhaps, then, this poll is the best evidence of "how much" it takes to retire and enjoy a comfortable, but not lavish, lifestyle. N'est pas?
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

As others have pointed out the comfortable, but not lavish (if I may add - LWBYM) lifestyle may be a primary reason for the net worth rather than an effect of it.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #108
gone traveling

Quote:
I'm looking for "more than enough"- I don't like the idea of working the high steel without a safety net.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I'm looking for "more than enough"- I don't like the idea of working the high steel without a safety net.
I concur, Especially when the inflation, taxation, SS, and Medicare outlook are so questionable.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #110

Net worth need have nothing to do with lifestyle during retirement. My wife and I, e.g., own our home and have pension income more than sufficient for our needs, so our savings/investments are for other purposes than day-to-day living.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted and it has gotten me abit down. My # is something I know puts me well ahead of the curve for my age group, but it only makes me realize how so far I have to go for a realistic retirement nest egg.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I think Kcowan was just hinting that he had more than 2 but still less than 5, and had to be lumped in with a lower class.

But look at the distribution. With each breakpoint nearly doubling the previous, it turns out to be nearly a textbook log-normal distribution. Equal intervals may not result in such a beautiful Gaussian curve.
I rent my residence NOTB and own in Mexico. So I need the extra portfolio to support another $40k of rental in expensive Vancouver real estate. So it is just a scoreboard win. In fact, it enabled me to retire 5 years earlier than if I owned my Vancouver condo.

(And BTW the $40k is one hell of a deal for a property valued conservatively at $2.5 million!)

And to Nords question: I do NPV my pensions but the key question is when am I planning to die?!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Net worth need have nothing to do with lifestyle during retirement. My wife and I, e.g., own our home and have pension income more than sufficient for our needs, so our savings/investments are for other purposes than day-to-day living.
+1 regarding pension income.

If I remember correctly, in earlier polls, people were instructed to add 25X their annual income, if COLA'ed, or 20X if it is not.

I am above average in the poll, but I do not feel rich due to lack of other income or health benefits. And then, people keep talking about SS being reduced.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Pension value. SS value. how depressing. I've mentioned that while no pension beckons me my anticipated SS monthly benefit should be just about enough to feed a single cat?

Our net worth is a tad on the guesstimation side. Do I use the tax man's value of property? Zillow's? Eppraisal's? Had a real estate agent give her guesstimate on what one of our places would sell for - which was substantially less than I thought was a reasonable price. Suspect that I may become one of those old grizzled landlords, to the benefit of whomever reaps the gain of inheriting at a stepped up basis. Be like one of those land poor farmers.

edit. Wait - health benefits? what are those?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #115

I guess size does matter. I have 4 children, 11 grandchildren & 4 great grandchildren. No brag, just fact.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #116
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Wait - health benefits? what are those?
You obviously didn't work in the public sector.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Wait - health benefits? what are those?
Well, due to your, er, more advanced age , you are both closer to the magic age of Medicare than we are, if it is of any consolation.

PS. And here's another silver lining for you. Because you do not expect much SS, you do not need to worry about being "means tested" out of it.

Gee, my sense of humor is so perverted, I am so proud of it!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

From a retirement perspective, the ratio between net worth and expenses is more interesting as this can be compared directly with withdrawal rates. $1M may sound like a lot, but not if you spend $80k/year.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

All the discussions of net worth and withdrawal rates are beginning to remind me of the characters in Jane Austen's novels - who "have" 500 pounds a year, or 5,000 pounds in the case of a very rich person (and poor widows who have only 10 pounds a year and must take in boarders, sewing, etc.) The "have" is their inherited income...nobody in these novels ever works, except farmers and servants.

P.S. It was from this board that I learned to guess-timate the value of my pension by researching what it would cost me to buy an annuity that produced the same yearly amount. Turned out to be just about 20x, even though my pension will supposedly be COLAd and I am a woman, which I'd think would push up the cost of the annuity.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Your pension can also be considered as part of your net worth.