net worth spreadsheet

youbet said:
What I like best about John's method is that there is no updating/refreshing of asset values.  Simply SWAG with your best recollection of the value of equities, real estate, etc., and add it up.  If your best recollection/knowledge of the value of your home is what you paid for it ten years ago, so be it!  Just write it down and add 'em up!  Keeps it simple.
Simplicity is good. Rough estimates are good enough for much of what we need to do. But sometimes it helps to know things more accurately. Using a program like Microsoft Money or Quicken is even simpler than the back of the envelope method after you've entered the information one time. You don't have to find an old envelope in the trash, brave the bacteria, remember all of your investments, remember what they are worth, or even remember to carry the 1 to the next column. Results are updated and computed automatically and you can even look at them graphically. :D :D :D

I downloaded the MSN Money Stock Quotes tool that Richard listed and used it to import my portfolio values and I agree with SG. It's a one time process that keeps on giving. I installed the executable and then you pull down the Tools menu, select Import Data, select Get Stock Quotes in the Macro list and it asks for stock symbols. 10 minutes total and never needs redoing. Instant portfolio recalculation, real-time.

Put it on sheet 2 of your spread sheet and import it on sheet 1 where you do asset or portfolio calculations. One click and your portfolio net worth is updated automatically.

Back
Top Bottom