Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
To the OP : please don't be too harsh on yourself. All of us have made mistakes. I would move on.
OBgyn: I'm fine.

The "admonition" comment was also a bit in fun.

I'm just sharing to wake people up to the fact that it can happen. As an engineer, I hate being off by even a penny (see photoguy above). I deal in nanoseconds in my job. 1 second is eternity. So, as you can see, I'm used to precision.

In any case, good discussion here and that's what I was hoping for.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Quicken for investments and also spending, but I do not download anything except credit card statements using QIF files. Every month, I balance Quicken to the statements I receive from various financial institutions, manually entering investment transactions. Entering manually takes more time, but it forces me to see the details I might overlook if I downloaded them. I essentially use Quicken as a database so that I can run custom reports to use for planning.

I also keep a spreadsheet with all positions consolidated in one line (for example, we might own one ETF in several different accounts at a couple of places), and update the prices weekly and then keep the history. I use this to track asset allocation among other things. It is a bit tricky to make sure the total number of shares is correct, but I check this every few months.

I also have a spreadsheet that is essentially an annual income and expense budget. Quarterly, I do another spreadsheet comparing actual to budget and showing the reasons for the major variances. I show this to my wife so she can see where things stand, as she is otherwise not involved in managing the family finances.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I hope you guys and gals know that on a roller coaster you are saying WHEE as it plunges down the steepest hill.... nobody is saying WHEE on the slow clankty clank on the way up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I just do it myself by comparing the summary totals on Vanguard / Fidelity against my spreadsheet. It annoys me to no end when things are off by a penny.
Monthly, I do the excel net worth sheet (converted from a Lotus 1-2-3 sheet, hehe). That's the complicated sheet that shows the IRR's of each account. But it only displays dollars (not to the penny, that would drive me nuts). I also have a net worth "snap shot" program that I coded up for myself...it goes out to all of my financial web sites, grabs the data, and puts it in a spreadsheet, so I can get "today's net worth". Since I've written the program (6 months ago or so), I think I've only run it about 3 times, when I thought I might need to do some asset allocation rebalancing.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I hope you did it yesterday! The market surged, and like some others I hit another all time high net worth yesterday.

Since nothing happened when I said "Wheee!!" about a month ago, I guess there is no point in repeating that particular exclamation of joy, but gosh, it sure looks beautiful.
Second time was the charm, W2R!

You even made gold crash with your double wheee.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
I use Quicken for investments and also spending, but I do not download anything except credit card statements using QIF files. Every month, I balance Quicken to the statements I receive from various financial institutions, manually entering investment transactions. Entering manually takes more time, but it forces me to see the details I might overlook if I downloaded them. I essentially use Quicken as a database so that I can run custom reports to use for planning.

I also keep a spreadsheet with all positions consolidated in one line (for example, we might own one ETF in several different accounts at a couple of places), and update the prices weekly and then keep the history. I use this to track asset allocation among other things. It is a bit tricky to make sure the total number of shares is correct, but I check this every few months.

I also have a spreadsheet that is essentially an annual income and expense budget. Quarterly, I do another spreadsheet comparing actual to budget and showing the reasons for the major variances. I show this to my wife so she can see where things stand, as she is otherwise not involved in managing the family finances.
I track this in 3 places to make sure I am not missing anything. Quicken (I download as much as possible), my financial advisor site (100% downloaded) and my 100% manual spreadsheet (updated once a month). As long as these three are within about 1%, I don't sweat it.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #46

I use Morningstar portfolio manager for daily checks. Have an Excel spreadsheet for budgeting. I look everyday just to keep an eye on what's happening, and why.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I guess I'm a slacker, I review our holdings (net worth spreadsheet) quarterly...
Make that 2 slackers.

I maintain a record of my portfolio using the portfolio tracker tool at Morningstar. I update the shares owned data quarterly.

Now that I have everything under one roof at VG, I will check my account a little more frequently to see if some of my TE bond mutual funds have reached their target principal amounts before I turn off/redirect my monthly DCA amounts.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I envy you pension/IRA/stock & bond holders the surety you have in your numbers.

We use Quicken hard for our finances, but our net worth guesstimate has a bunch of play. Most of our worth is in the rental property values and those numbers vary depending on whether we feel like using the tax man's "true market value" or what we paid for it or what we think we could sell for. Our Quicken reported net worth more than doubled between 2005 and 2006 when we changed valuation numbers. Then there is the knowledge that the tax on a sale will nick us about 25%. I tend toward pessimism on values - the net worth took a nice bump up last winter when we sold a property we had foreclosed on, as I'd been showing it's value as the foreclosure price. The last couple days OTOH, seem to have made some money disappear, although I'm pretty sure the gold is still in the safety deposit box. Ah well. Keep making those rent payments, oh tenants of mine!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #49

I don't calculate net worth that often - but then I can really do it in my head as long as I know what I have at Vanguard and Fidelity. However, I long into Vanguard every business day and log into Fidelity a little less often (have my 401k at Fidelity). I do this just to keep a check on everything and make sure all is well.