New at PenFed - 3% 5yr certificates

Thanks pb4uski! I tried to scan through the thread but it got so long I gave up!

So now I have to figure out when to sell my TBM fund. Sounds like I have at least a week or two before I have to worry about it.

I did it right away because I didn't want to chance PenFed forwarding on a request and the money not being available. At today's minuscule interest rates it wasn't worth the risk.

Too late now, but you could have had the funds taken right out of Total Bond rather than MM.

I initially requested they do that, and then I was told by both PenFed and Vanguard that the money had to be in a money market before they could transfer it. I suspect there's more than one way to accomplish this, but I guess I'll have to just see how it plays out.

Interesting. I would have thought if the account number you give them has the first 4 digits the fund code for Total Stock and the next 11 digits as bring your IRA account number that vanguard would have just sold how ever many shares as was needed to fulfill the $ amount of the request.

That said, I see that I did the request from a MM and then sold some bond funds to cover it - I just don't remember why I did that. It might be that is what PenFed told me to do.

I have been following this thread off and on for a while... excuse me if this has been asked before.

How is it that PenFed can offer such better rates than other institutions?

Searching CD rates on line the best I'm finding is around 2% on 5 year CDs.

Is PenFed traditionally the leader in offering better rates as the market evolves?

I have been following this thread off and on for a while... excuse me if this has been asked before.

How is it that PenFed can offer such better rates than other institutions?

Searching CD rates on line the best I'm finding is around 2% on 5 year CDs.

Is PenFed traditionally the leader in offering better rates as the market evolves?

There has been some discussion along the lines of "how can they do this", but I don't think there have been any solid answers. Several posters mentioned that Penfed occaisionally has "specials" around January. I am aware of three occaisions (all documented on this board if you check the search tool) where Penfed offered rates significantly higher than almost anyone else, so I would say yes they are a leader in offering better rates........but they may not be the best at any given point in time.

For those using ACH for the deposit, did anyone transferring money from a credit union or bank get charged a fee for the ACH transfer?

Thanks

I was trying to withdraw money from my PenFed account today. It said the max daily ACH withdraw is $50? Is that all the time, or just for new customers? It seems very low!

For those using ACH for the deposit, did anyone transferring money from a credit union or bank get charged a fee for the ACH transfer?

Thanks

Nope, I did not. And I got my first "paycheck" from Penfed this week too. (3% CD Interest) Funny how I always get my distribution on the 18th of the month.

Thanks
This really depends on each bank.

With my bank, ACH transfers have no fee if initiated by the other party. For some reason I never initiate ACH transfers from my bank account. :angel:

Thanks
I did not for this transfer from this bank but I did an ACH transfer from another bank several years ago and they did charge me. I think it was $15.00.

I gave up on this. I've mentioned it in a couple other threads, but here is the whole story:

I opened an account at PenFed without a problem thinking I should be able to get this done in a week. My 401k required an account number that they would put on a check and then send the check to me. I would then need to forward the check to PenFed. I requested that PenFed open an IRA account so I could provide an account number. Over a week later I asked at PenFed what happened and it seemed that they don't normally open the account until they get the check. The representative voluntarily spoke to his supervisor and I got an account opened.

I then spoke to my 401k representative and found out that a form I sent in that has to be signed and original in the last 90 days was there but not activated. They found that it did not have a required box checked and decided to send it back to me after I called. I think I am now out of time to make this transfer work by the end of the month which is time frame the PenFed representative told me.

I also found that there is a few thousand dollars in after tax money in the 401k and that it would be drawn first. That money cannot go into a traditional IRA, but can go into a Roth IRA. I would first need to open a Roth IRA and transfer that money. I also found out that the earnings on the after tax money goes into the tax deferred bucket. I have lost the opportunity for tax-free earnings on this money since retirement by not moving it to a Roth. I'm glad I discussed this with them. They would have just written two checks, one directly to me for the tax-free amount and one to the PenFed IRA account for the remainder of the requested amount. The one to me would have just been a tax-free distribution to me.

Numbers aren't nearly as hard as government and business rules and regulations!

I was trying to withdraw money from my PenFed account today. It said the max daily ACH withdraw is $50? Is that all the time, or just for new customers? It seems very low!

I have the same restriction, apparently because I am a new member and require more security precautions. They say it will last about 6 months. You can withdraw more but you have to call and talk to somebody, IIRC.

Stupid question but can anyone open a PenFed account or do you have to be in active/retired service?

I only see these options to select:

I am in the United States Military & Uniformed Services
I am an employee of a qualifying organization
I belong to the following association or organization
I am an employee of the United States government
I am a relative or housemate of someone who is eligible
I live or work at an eligible location
Help me join another way

Doh to me! poor reading comprehension! :) Thank you REWahoo!

Stupid question but can anyone open a PenFed account or do you have to be in active/retired service?

If you ever donated blood to the American Red Cross, you're qualified too. I almost missed this option myself.

Select "I belong to the following association or organization".

If you ever donated blood to the American Red Cross, you're qualified too. I almost missed this option myself.

Select "I belong to the following association or organization".

I read 'I belong to the following association' as if I was employed by it. Are you sure it's ok to select Red Cross (yes I've donated blood through RC)? Thanks

I read 'I belong to the following association' as if I was employed by it. Are you sure it's ok to select Red Cross (yes I've donated blood through RC)? Thanks

Yes, this is how I joined last month. I called and talked to a rep about it to make sure I qualified. They don't really check and I can't find my card, but my DW still has her card.

They even mentioned to use "I am an employee of a qualifying organization " if you actually worked for American Red Cross.

Last edited:
I received a call from my Vanguard rep this morning to confirm the transfer from my IRA to the PenFed CD. I show the transaction as pending now and they promised to mail the check to Pen Fed in the morning. They said the transfers can't be done electronically for IRAs. So assuming it gets there within a week or so it looks like the transfer will be smooth and no issues with expiring rates.

Yes, this is how I joined last month. I called and talked to a rep about it to make sure I qualified. They don't really check and I can't find my card, but my DW still has her card.

They even mentioned to use "I am an employee of a qualifying organization " if you actually worked for American Red Cross.

Awesome, thanks! I just opened an account with them using your method :dance:

Next step to transfer money from my .1% savings account to their CDs. Are most of you guys doing a 3yr or 5yr CD ladder?

I opened up 5 yr CDs, no ladder.

You need to check your transfer (outgoing and incoming) limits if you're opening up bigger CDs. PenFed limits new members to a really low amount, like $500. They suggested I wire the money into my share account first, then open the CDs. I had all kinds of issues on my bank side trying to do the wires needed. Took me 4-5 days to finish the transfers.

Gah! you're right, I got this message at the end of the CD purchase process:

You will receive an account signature form in approximately 5-7 business days. Please complete the form and return it to Pentagon Federal Credit Union in the envelope provided. A certificate agreement will be mailed to your mailing address of record within 5-7 business days.

Gah! you're right, I got this message at the end of the CD purchase process:

You will receive an account signature form in approximately 5-7 business days. Please complete the form and return it to Pentagon Federal Credit Union in the envelope provided. A certificate agreement will be mailed to your mailing address of record within 5-7 business days.

That's different. Every time you open a CD with PenFed, you will have to sign and return a certificate agreement, whether you are a new client or not. It's a bit old school but really no bother at all. It has nothing to do with ACH transfers.

That's different. Every time you open a CD with PenFed, you will have to sign and return a certificate agreement, whether you are a new client or not. It's a bit old school but really no bother at all. It has nothing to do with ACH transfers.

The form if completed in detail can be used to name a joint owner and/or designate beneficiaries for the CD. Comes in two copies one of which you can retain. They also provide a postage paid and addressed envelope to return their copy of the form.

Back
Top Bottom