Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #221
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sorry I must have not had enough coffee this morning. I swear at 6:30 am it said 2%.
My bad
Term Dividend Rate APY
6 Month 0.300% 0.30%**
1-Year 0.750% 0.75%
2-Year 1.400% 1.41%
3-Year 2.000% 2.02%
4-Year 2.200% 2.22%
5-Year 3.000% 3.04%
7-Year 3.000% 3.04%
golfersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm always learning a new term in the financial industry. I've never heard the term Real money to describe non IRA deposits. When I was talking to the rep from penfed we got confused over penalties to withdraw money early from a CD. I was talking about a penalty to withdraw money from a non IRA CD & she was talking about the IRS penalty to withdraw from an IRA CD. Talking over the phone about this stuff can be stressful.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
I'm always learning a new term in the financial industry. I've never heard the term Real money to describe non IRA deposits.
New one to me as well. I couldn't find it defined as non-IRA money anywhere, so this might be an individual interpretation.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I filled out an application to open an IRA with PenFed today. This morning I emailed them the IRA transfer authorization to transfer funds from my Vanguard IRA, along with the PenFed IRA Application. I received an email acknowledging receipt of my email, but otherwise have not been able to confirm where it is in the process. A call later on in the day got me an agent who just said it takes longer than that for them to do anything with forms emailed in. She said no news is good news, but that doesn't leave me all that comfortable.

I'm going to be selling my shares of VG Total Bond Market, moving the funds into the money market, and then transferring the funds from money market to PenFed. Does anyone have experience doing this who can tell me how long it took from when you first sent in the application to when the funds were requested. I'd rather not sell shares in TBM and then have them just sit around for weeks in the money market. They have actually been going up a few cents lately, so maybe I'm make back some of the money I lost in 2013 if I wait a bit longer. Who knows.

The rep did confirm that the rates of 3% are guaranteed through 1/31. I asked what happens if by the time the check gets mailed from Vanguard it doesn't end up at PenFed until after 1/31. She was pretty quick to say don't worry, we will backdate the receipt if necessary. I was a little surprised she could commit to doing that actually.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #225
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You obviously missed post #181 of this thread Note that I used snailmail, not email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I mailed my forms in about Nov 26. They pulled funds from Vanguard on Dec 12 and issued my CDs on Dec 16 (backdated to Dec 12).

I suspect timing may be a bit slower than normal due to volume.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #226

Thanks pb4uski! I tried to scan through the thread but it got so long I gave up!

So now I have to figure out when to sell my TBM fund. Sounds like I have at least a week or two before I have to worry about it.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

I did it right away because I didn't want to chance PenFed forwarding on a request and the money not being available. At today's minuscule interest rates it wasn't worth the risk.

Too late now, but you could have had the funds taken right out of Total Bond rather than MM.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #228

I initially requested they do that, and then I was told by both PenFed and Vanguard that the money had to be in a money market before they could transfer it. I suspect there's more than one way to accomplish this, but I guess I'll have to just see how it plays out.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I would have thought if the account number you give them has the first 4 digits the fund code for Total Stock and the next 11 digits as bring your IRA account number that vanguard would have just sold how ever many shares as was needed to fulfill the $ amount of the request.

That said, I see that I did the request from a MM and then sold some bond funds to cover it - I just don't remember why I did that. It might be that is what PenFed told me to do.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #230
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been following this thread off and on for a while... excuse me if this has been asked before.

How is it that PenFed can offer such better rates than other institutions?

Searching CD rates on line the best I'm finding is around 2% on 5 year CDs.

Is PenFed traditionally the leader in offering better rates as the market evolves?
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rlsa View Post
I have been following this thread off and on for a while... excuse me if this has been asked before.

How is it that PenFed can offer such better rates than other institutions?

Searching CD rates on line the best I'm finding is around 2% on 5 year CDs.

Is PenFed traditionally the leader in offering better rates as the market evolves?
There has been some discussion along the lines of "how can they do this", but I don't think there have been any solid answers. Several posters mentioned that Penfed occaisionally has "specials" around January. I am aware of three occaisions (all documented on this board if you check the search tool) where Penfed offered rates significantly higher than almost anyone else, so I would say yes they are a leader in offering better rates........but they may not be the best at any given point in time.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #232

For those using ACH for the deposit, did anyone transferring money from a credit union or bank get charged a fee for the ACH transfer?

Thanks
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #233
Recycles dryer sheets

I was trying to withdraw money from my PenFed account today. It said the max daily ACH withdraw is $50? Is that all the time, or just for new customers? It seems very low!
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
For those using ACH for the deposit, did anyone transferring money from a credit union or bank get charged a fee for the ACH transfer?

Thanks
Nope, I did not. And I got my first "paycheck" from Penfed this week too. (3% CD Interest) Funny how I always get my distribution on the 18th of the month.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks
This really depends on each bank.

With my bank, ACH transfers have no fee if initiated by the other party. For some reason I never initiate ACH transfers from my bank account.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #236

Quote:

Thanks
I did not for this transfer from this bank but I did an ACH transfer from another bank several years ago and they did charge me. I think it was $15.00.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #237

I gave up on this. I've mentioned it in a couple other threads, but here is the whole story:

I opened an account at PenFed without a problem thinking I should be able to get this done in a week. My 401k required an account number that they would put on a check and then send the check to me. I would then need to forward the check to PenFed. I requested that PenFed open an IRA account so I could provide an account number. Over a week later I asked at PenFed what happened and it seemed that they don't normally open the account until they get the check. The representative voluntarily spoke to his supervisor and I got an account opened.

I then spoke to my 401k representative and found out that a form I sent in that has to be signed and original in the last 90 days was there but not activated. They found that it did not have a required box checked and decided to send it back to me after I called. I think I am now out of time to make this transfer work by the end of the month which is time frame the PenFed representative told me.

I also found that there is a few thousand dollars in after tax money in the 401k and that it would be drawn first. That money cannot go into a traditional IRA, but can go into a Roth IRA. I would first need to open a Roth IRA and transfer that money. I also found out that the earnings on the after tax money goes into the tax deferred bucket. I have lost the opportunity for tax-free earnings on this money since retirement by not moving it to a Roth. I'm glad I discussed this with them. They would have just written two checks, one directly to me for the tax-free amount and one to the PenFed IRA account for the remainder of the requested amount. The one to me would have just been a tax-free distribution to me.

Numbers aren't nearly as hard as government and business rules and regulations!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
I was trying to withdraw money from my PenFed account today. It said the max daily ACH withdraw is $50? Is that all the time, or just for new customers? It seems very low!
I have the same restriction, apparently because I am a new member and require more security precautions. They say it will last about 6 months. You can withdraw more but you have to call and talk to somebody, IIRC.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #239

Stupid question but can anyone open a PenFed account or do you have to be in active/retired service?

I only see these options to select:

I am in the United States Military & Uniformed Services
I am an employee of a qualifying organization
I belong to the following association or organization
I am an employee of the United States government
I am a relative or housemate of someone who is eligible
I live or work at an eligible location
Help me join another way
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #240
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Select that last option and you'll find anyone can join.