New Car

This comment has been made over and over again (and I agree). So, does Lexus not do consumer testing on designs? I would think that if they did, that front end would look quite a bit different. I am a fan of the Lexus brand, but that front end dissuades me enough that I wouldn't even CONSIDER it if I was hunting for a new car.

No offense intended here, but the new Lexus looks way cooler than any previous editions. Perhaps they're aiming for a younger audience and more long term commitment. The front end has gotten more aggressive since the 2013s, which were just boring. The RX prior to 2014 was boring. Now? Cool! Same for the sedans.

Our issue with the Lexus SUVs we looked at was inefficient use of size, and part of that is from the spaceship front end. The NX is like 8 inches longer than the X1, but less cargo and seating room. The new RX is the same in its class.

Aesthetically? Worlds better now than before IMO. YOMV.

No offense intended here, but the new Lexus looks way cooler than any previous editions. Perhaps they're aiming for a younger audience and more long term commitment. The front end has gotten more aggressive since the 2013s, which were just boring. The RX prior to 2014 was boring. Now? Cool! Same for the sedans.

Our issue with the Lexus SUVs we looked at was inefficient use of size, and part of that is from the spaceship front end. The NX is like 8 inches longer than the X1, but less cargo and seating room. The new RX is the same in its class.

Aesthetically? Worlds better now than before IMO. YOMV.

No offense taken. I *think* you are the only one on this thread who thinks the front end looks OK. Besides, if everyone liked the same cars, it would be very boring out there.

And ugly? Oye...I think this takes the cake.

Attachments

• bmw-i3-011-1280x960.jpg
    bmw-i3-011-1280x960.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 18
No offense taken. I *think* you are the only one on this thread who thinks the front end looks OK. Besides, if everyone liked the same cars, it would be very boring out there.

And ugly? Oye...I think this takes the cake.

Yeah, the i3 is awful. But big brother i8 is gorgeous.

I might be the youngest commenter on this thread too, and I think that may be who Lexus is trying to appeal to with the aggressive design. Maybe not. I admit we didn't like it at first, it the more we saw them, the better we liked the look.

Comparing a truck to a hybrid is a bad dichotomy. There are so many regular gas engine vehicles that get 40 mpg now, like my little sister's 2015 mazda 3, which she got with 10k miles on it, 90k CPO warranty and tons of features for only 16k!!

If you are all done driving, down to 3k miles a year, then yes, gas is not a factor, but here in SoCal, even a retiree is going to put 15k on the car per year, at least in the earlier, active years. Diminishing returns is definitely a factor. You save a lot more $$ going from 15mpg to 30mpg than 30 to 60, so I don't really get the hype on hybrids. Not yet, anyway.

On the comment about driving a bigger vehicle or truck instead of a smaller more-mpg car. Some points to consider:
1. My old full size trucks and SUV are long paid for and the insurance and registration is much less than a new car. (Although to be fair here in NM there is no value tax on registration, same for all years)
2. At least for now we still live in a free country where we have the freedom to drive what we want - I prefer a bigger vehicle
3. I can afford the extra fuel cost, which is my problem to pay for, not yours.
4. By keeping driving my older vehicles, I am saving the depreciation costs of a newer vehicle, so in fact my choice is actually *more* LBYM than buying a newer better mpg vehicle.
5. The previously mentioned lower miles many retirees drive makes total fuel cost less of an issue.

If I get a new/newer vehicle I would consider improved mpg as a bonus, but I will buy the vehicle I like. The gas mileage it gets is what it will be. It is all a matter of priorities and IMHO gas mileage is down on the list for me.

I agree the new Lexus alien front end design is ugly and do not like it myself. But keeping with my discussion philosophy above, I don't have to buy or drive one either.

On the comment about driving a bigger vehicle or truck instead of a smaller more-mpg car. Some points to consider:
1. My old full size trucks and SUV are long paid for and the insurance and registration is much less than a new car. (Although to be fair here in NM there is no value tax on registration, same for all years)
2. At least for now we still live in a free country where we have the freedom to drive what we want - I prefer a bigger vehicle
3. I can afford the extra fuel cost, which is my problem to pay for, not yours.
4. By keeping driving my older vehicles, I am saving the depreciation costs of a newer vehicle, so in fact my choice is actually *more* LBYM than buying a newer better mpg vehicle.
5. The previously mentioned lower miles many retirees drive makes total fuel cost less of an issue.

If I get a new/newer vehicle I would consider improved mpg as a bonus, but I will buy the vehicle I like. The gas mileage it gets is what it will be. It is all a matter of priorities and IMHO gas mileage is down on the list for me.

I agree the new Lexus alien front end design is ugly and do not like it myself. But keeping with my discussion philosophy above, I don't have to buy or drive one either.

So are you saying that yours is bigger than his? :D Sorry...I couldn't resist!

I totally agree about having a vehicle for hurricane evacuations. We had a sedan and an F150 when we evacuated for Katrina. We got really smacked. The F150 was priceless on our return home for getting materials from Lowes, HD, waiting in line for ice and gas to run the generator. I don't know how we would have managed without it.

Reactions: W2R
Well, at least this is bigger than most, my around town grocery getter :LOL:

My regular DD is a 97 Expedition. The F-650 above is just occasional use.

Wow, that is a monster. I'm sure most preppers would approve. Like the graphics!

No way. It has too many electronics that would be rendered useless in the event of an EMP attack. :LOL:

Of course to truly avoid this buy a 1950s pickup an have it restored, no electronice if no radio, mechanical voltage regulator, and mechanical points and distributor. (But you may have to clean the brushes on the generator every so often). Vehicles that old often escape emission tests as well. as they get licensed as antiques.

Not if you turn your garage into a faraday cage:D
Ah..good point! That's OK, if things go that bad, I don't think I'd want to be around, anyway. I am just too partial to air conditioning!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

No way. It has too many electronics that would be rendered useless in the event of an EMP attack. :LOL:

It does have some electronics, but an EMP attack is really only effective against electronics that are on and working. My other old daily driver type truck is a 88 Ford diesel, it has zero electronics; it is a mechanical injection pump, only needs 12 volts to hold open the fuel solenoid. It is 100% EMP proof.

My old hot rods are none or almost no electronics (electronic ignition on some), so I have a back-up :D

I hope that I am not hi-jacking this thread, but how about a Toyota Highlander? I do not have one but am thinking of purchasing one as trip car.

Does anybody have thoughts on the Highlander?

Yes bought a 2014 and love it. Huge but get 23mpg city and 27mpg highway at 70mph. Drives better than my 1996 Lexus LS400 or 2004 Lexus Rx330.

Take one for a test drive before buying any other SUV.

Good Luck

W

Well, at least this is bigger than most, my around town grocery getter :LOL:

My regular DD is a 97 Expedition. The F-650 above is just occasional use.

Love the Ben-Hur wheels.

Know nothing about the Lincoln but I know the ATS Caddy would be too small for me, and probably too hard to get in and out of. I would consider the CTS over the ATS. There is a nice Cadillac forum where you can get input from actual owners.

Know nothing about the Lincoln but I know the ATS Caddy would be too small for me, and probably too hard to get in and out of. I would consider the CTS over the ATS. There is a nice Cadillac forum where you can get input from actual owners.

We had a 2006 CTS for a while (DW had trouble seeing well out of it) and I loved the car. Nice highway driver.

Back
Top Bottom