New Car

I hope that I am not hi-jacking this thread, but how about a Toyota Highlander? I do not have one but am thinking of purchasing one as trip car.

Does anybody have thoughts on the Highlander?

Does anyone's wants bounce around like mine? I currently have a 2001 s-10. I dig the new Tacomas, but then I have times I want a BMW M4! I guess that means I should stick with what I have or I'll end up with buyer's remorse.
Good luck with your decision! New cars are always exciting....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm looking at a Tesla Model S or X 90D for road trips. Waiting for a fancier Autopilot version. DW has a Model 3 reserved.

Does anyone's wants bounce around like mine? I currently have a 2001 s-10. I dig the new Tacomas, but then I have times I want a BMW M4! I guess that means I should stick with what I have or I'll end up with buyer's remorse.
Good luck with your decision! New cars are always exciting....

You can have more than one!

You better start getting you money together. Such a truck will be pushing $70K. The King Ranch option by itself is really, really expensive.

I'm keeping my old F250 Lariat diesel. It's expected to wear out about my age 95.

I will be purchasing through the fleet dept, so I get invoice prices. It will be all of $70K though. A tax deduction as I will have the business buy it. Buying a truck may allow a large Roth conversion too.

FWIW I think only the F150 is aluminum, all others are still steel. YMMV.
Yes, in 2017 the super duty's (250/350/450) will be aluminum bodies. Much larger towing capacity, better truck.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/2017/

To the OP, I don't own either of the vehicles you were asking about, but DW and I just bought a BMW X3 and love it. The X5 is larger and might fit your desire for a large vehicle.

Lexus has a good reputation but I just can't get past their front end design. I know it is subjective and other folks may like it but I think it is the worst looking car on the road. As much as I buy any product based on value and durability this stops me cold.

Cheers!

I am probably going to go the mid-size route with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Because I only need the truck for minimal towing and dump/home depot runs I do not need a big truck. Plus the in-bed speakers are cool!:dance::facepalm:

Same here! I also like the better ride & handling. I'm comfortable with my manhood (as a previous Miata owner:cool:)!

Someone mentioned the "floaty" ride of the older luxury cars. I miss that as well. The older Continentals and Caddys had it. We have an SRX and the ride is nice but not the floating down the road thing. they were great for long road trips.............

I am probably going to go the mid-size route with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Because I only need the truck for minimal towing and dump/home depot runs I do not need a big truck. Plus the in-bed speakers are cool!:dance::facepalm: ....

I was planning to wait for the Ridgeline but my 2005 Colorado's rusted frame forced me to trade before the end of June. The local Honda dealers don't expect to receive many new Ridgelines in 2016 and I suspect that it will be hard to get a great deal on them. Since I needed to act fast, I ended up ordering a GMC Canyon and took delivery last week. I love it so far... took a nice long road trip with my golf buddies yesterday and it is really nice and smooth on the highway.

I went bats*it crazy and bought a Tesla Model X (about 100k) after my last car (2005 entry level Honda civic).

DW and I were milking an XC90 but went all the way I guess.

After 3 weeks I can say it's the best "thing" I've ever owned. Even the doors are working :0.

Seriously though. Putting kids in is WAY easier and self driving in traffic easily cuts stress a ton. Decent storage space and drives like a sports car... or as close as a crossover can.

I see the whole electric power thing as a nice bonus but not the main reason.

Look forward to driving it all the time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I hope that I am not hi-jacking this thread, but how about a Toyota Highlander? I do not have one but am thinking of purchasing one as trip car.

Does anybody have thoughts on the Highlander?

I have a 2012, it has been great.
Plenty of room (I fit in it)
Goes great in the snow with the AWD, plenty of power, get up and go with the V-6. Gas mileage could be better, but I guess they have a hybrid for that....:angel:

I wouldn't hesitate to get an updated model when this one gives up the ghost in 12 or so more years....I guess it will be self driving by then.

We got the 2016 Toyota 4Runner for DW, she likes to sit higher in vehicles instead of feeling like she is riding close to the ground. It replaced a 2002 Sequoia. She loves it.

I was planning to wait for the Ridgeline but my 2005 Colorado's rusted frame forced me to trade before the end of June. The local Honda dealers don't expect to receive many new Ridgelines in 2016 and I suspect that it will be hard to get a great deal on them. Since I needed to act fast, I ended up ordering a GMC Canyon and took delivery last week. I love it so far... took a nice long road trip with my golf buddies yesterday and it is really nice and smooth on the highway.

Crew cab or extended? V6?

I like these but my old S10 is probably better for hauling mulch, stone and yard debris.

I have a 2011 Ferd Ranger 4x4 that I don't even drive. It has BFG ATs on it too.

Have you seen these videos about the aluminum bed?

I'm no defender of Ford (have a GM family member and utilize their discount) but those videos are very unrealistic. First off, who doesn't get a bed liner these days. Second, who loads concrete block by dumping a load of them in the truck. And who puts their tool box on the side of their pickup like that for it to fall in the first place. None of that would affect my decision between a Silverado and a F-150.

As for a car, I agree with the premise that a Buick is a good value in the GM line. I have friends that drove Cadillac's and went "down" to a Buick and they are very happy. My last car (I'm leasing a truck right now) was an Impala. It was no Buick or Cadillac, but it is a very well done large (by today's standards) car. One of the things I really liked about it was a large trunk. It even has the ability to load a set of golf clubs laying fully sideways in the trunk. There are cut-out's specifically for the clubs and the bag fits easily.

I'd also lease any hybrid before buying one.

The Prius has a long and proven track record of being bulletproof, which means buying 2-3 year old off-lease is a no-brainer if you want a hybrid. Tons of these in the sub-$15k range here in the ATL.

Last edited:
I like both the Lincoln and the Caddy. Have you considered a 300?

My next one will probably be an Impala.
Rob, have you driven an Impala lately? I am going to throw this one the mix also. May test drive a LTZ today. The 2016s are being marked down 25% by me.

I'm no defender of Ford (have a GM family member and utilize their discount) but those videos are very unrealistic. First off, who doesn't get a bed liner these days. Second, who loads concrete block by dumping a load of them in the truck. And who puts their tool box on the side of their pickup like that for it to fall in the first place. None of that would affect my decision between a Silverado and a F-150.

As for a car, I agree with the premise that a Buick is a good value in the GM line. I have friends that drove Cadillac's and went "down" to a Buick and they are very happy. My last car (I'm leasing a truck right now) was an Impala. It was no Buick or Cadillac, but it is a very well done large (by today's standards) car. One of the things I really liked about it was a large trunk. It even has the ability to load a set of golf clubs laying fully sideways in the trunk. There are cut-out's specifically for the clubs and the bag fits easily.
What year Impala did you drive? What trim line?

... I am currently looking at either a 2017 Lincoln MKZ or Cadillac ATS. Does anybody own either one of these cars? And how do they feel about them.

I don't own either of the two cars you're looking at. That said, have you considered a white panel van? If yes, make sure it's not a white panel van made by Honda or you may have to learn how to brake with your left foot.

What year Impala did you drive? What trim line?

It was a 2014 LTZ It had everything and I liked just about everything except the low profile tires. It has good pickup, good gas mileage, a good ride, plenty of room and all the electronics worked nicely. Not sure of any changes for the 2016 model, but I don't imagine much since it's a rather new redesign.

Crew cab or extended? V6?

I like these but my old S10 is probably better for hauling mulch, stone and yard debris.

Crew cab, V6, 4x4. What the heck... you only live once and you can't take it with you.

I also got the spray in bedliner which I wish I had in my Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom