Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Sorry dude, I thought I was giving you some good news, not engaging in a 'pissing contest'.
No need to be defensive, dude. I was prefacing my post with the pissing contest remark so that my remarks were not misconstrued as being antagonistic or seemingly piss-contest-ish. I wasn't accusing you of starting or even engaging in a pissing contest.

At any rate, you guys are right. I am wrong. I called four more Toyota dealerships in Florida. Here is the run down of what I got:

Tampa: Date of purchase was the answer. I asked are you sure. The response was "absolutely."

Gainesville: I called again and got a different guy. Get this: The response was "Date of purchase for the miles portion but calendar year for the years portion." I said, "So the warranty clocks starts on January 1st?" The response was "yes."

Orlando: Date of purchase. "Are you sure?" "No, I'm not sure that that is correct, but I think it is."

Sarasota: Salesman did not know the answer. Put me on hold and came back and said he'd asked the sales manager and he said "date of purchase."

Suffice to say I think many of the salesmen don't know the truth. I should've known better.

I apologize for the mix up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Gatorbuzz, here is what I hope will be a helpful piece of advice.

Never believe anything a car salesperson, sales manager, or any dealer representative tells you. (of course I don't mean you 73SS454)
Don't forget not to trust, annuity salespeople, stock brokers, other people in the financial industry. I didn't mean you Saluki.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Never believe anything a car salesperson, sales manager, or any dealer representative tells you. (of course I don't mean you 73SS454)
Hey, 73 is retired now. He's reformed...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Always get it in writing. Also, if you are the type of person that likes to get an extended warranty or prepaid maintenance program. Never blindly take the offer from your dealer. There are places on the web that will offer large discounts on Toyota plans. It does not matter where you buy the car, your local dealer will honor it just the same.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Looks like you talked to two morons at two different dealers...........
Figure the odds...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
.......(also ask them if they will print this off for you to keep in your glove box{why haven't they changed that name? Does anyone keep gloves in them?}).
For the 1st time in all of my driving years, I actually DO keep a pair of gloves in the glovebox! I amaze myself!
Quote:
Gatorbuzz, here is what I hope will be a helpful piece of advice.

Never believe anything a car salesperson, sales manager, or any dealer representative tells you.
If most car salesman/dealers/whatever are like the ones here in my town, Saluki is absolutely right! The bunch of swine car sellers around here have lied through their teeth for so long, they wouldn't know the truth if it was a sharp stick and they sat on it....they'd swear on their one-eyed, hunchback, crippled mother's grave that they were sitting on a plush cushion!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
No need to be defensive, dude. I was prefacing my post with the pissing contest remark so that my remarks were not misconstrued as being antagonistic or seemingly piss-contest-ish. I wasn't accusing you of starting or even engaging in a pissing contest.
Then at this point I'd like to start a pissing contest with you regarding my level of defensiveness!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
For the 1st time in all of my driving years, I actually DO keep a pair of gloves in the glovebox! I amaze myself!

If most car salesman/dealers/whatever are like the ones here in my town, Saluki is absolutely right! The bunch of swine car sellers around here have lied through their teeth for so long, they wouldn't know the truth if it was a sharp stick and they sat on it....they'd swear on their one-eyed, hunchback, crippled mother's grave that they were sitting on a plush cushion!
After 35 years in the car biz, I've decided you guys are right. Customers never lie or jerk the salespeople around.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Then at this point I'd like to start a pissing contest with you regarding my level of defensiveness!

No thanks! At this point I believe it's wise for me to exit stage, errrr thread, left. I've mucked this thread up enough as it is.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #50

Quote:
If you were buying a new car, would you purchase an end of year close out [2008] or a 2009 model.
I am thinking buying a Toyota Corolla. The price of each of the CE model is as follows:
09=$15,350
08=$14,405
07=$12,851
06=$11,293

The 2009 is completely redesigned. It is a bit larger inside and out. Looking at the price tags, I would choose the 06 or 07 model.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Customers never lie or jerk the salespeople around.
Only the ones who get promoted to financial advisor...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Don't forget not to trust, annuity salespeople, stock brokers, other people in the financial industry. I didn't mean you Saluki.
How about doctors? I mean they're on commission as well. How ever can we trust them? And lets not leave out those nasty waiters who try to upsell you. And rental car people trying to stick you with extra insurance.
Perhaps we can put together a list of people on here that we can trust, it should be much shorter.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post

No thanks! At this point I believe it's wise for me to exit stage, errrr thread, left. I've mucked this thread up enough as it is.

TO THE DEPTHS WITH YOU, THREAD MUCKER!!!!!!!!!

Sorry... it just came to me, and I just had to share.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After 35 years in the car biz, I've decided you guys are right. Customers never lie or jerk the salespeople around.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
How about doctors? I mean they're on commission as well. How ever can we trust them? And lets not leave out those nasty waiters who try to upsell you. And rental car people trying to stick you with extra insurance.
Perhaps we can put together a list of people on here that we can trust, it should be much shorter.
In God we trust, ALL others pay cash.........

Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
More likely they are one or more of the following:

1)Fighting addictions to drugs, alcohol,or both
2)Underemployed
3)Untrained
4)Unhappy
5)Just plain clueless

On the other hand, I know a fair number of them pulling down 6 figures, not bad for no college and in some cases, a high school drop-out.......

Old 08-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
More likely they are one or more of the following:

1)Fighting addictions to drugs, alcohol,or both
2)Underemployed
3)Untrained
4)Unhappy
5)Just plain clueless

On the other hand, I know a fair number of them pulling down 6 figures, not bad for no college and in some cases, a high school drop-out.......
Or the owner of the dealership is off at a 20 group meeting figuring out a way to screw the salespeople out of their money.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or the owner of the dealership is off at a 20 group meeting figuring out a way to screw the salespeople out of their money.
Yeah, that happens all the time.......... Kinda like the "minimum pack" on used cars of $800-$1000. Even if the car had 1500 miles on it, it got $800-$1000 tacked on, and the salesman NEVER got paid on that.......We used to call it the _________(Insert dealer's name) Trust Fund

Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #59

One of the salespeople I met along the way said it best. Car sales is what you do once you've failed at everything else.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You guys keep this up and you'll end up giving car salesmen a bad name...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote