Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dude, call Toyota's corporate customer service at 800-331-4331 and ask them, or read their web site.

"Basic Coverage: Components other than normal wear and maintenance items are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles from the date of first use.

Powertrain Coverage: Your engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and air bags are covered for 5 years/60,000 miles from the date of first use. "

So either your dealers didnt understand the question, they dont know what they're talking about, or they're lying to you for some reason...maybe to sell you an extended warranty since a part of your basic warranty is allegedly over before you used the product?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Over the years I've bought both current year at or near year end (Oct. or Nov.), and I've also bought next year's model when they first hit the dealerships. It all depended what I was looking for. I've bought most of my vehicles 'off the lot', except for my first new car which I ordered ('77 Camaro) and my '92 GMC van which the dealer located for me at another dealership about 80 miles away and brought to their dealership.

The vehicle I drive now ('06 Chevy HHR) I got the best of all worlds. I bought 'current year' it in late October '06 well after the new models came out (it was built in May '06), and I bought it used pre-driven so the last owner paid the chunk of cash for the initial depreciation, and it's still covered by the 36mo/36K factory warranty. Original sticker was just shy of $19K (new '07 comparably equipped was just barely over $19K), dealer was asking $15K, I got him down to $14K, and he gave me just over $2K for my 10 year old Mitsubishi Galant (which was about twice as much as I figured I'd get out it....it was about worn out very well used). My final cost with taxes and license/title transfer was $12,200.

My 1st choice would be to buy a lightly pre-driven vehicle, or IF I got a 'wild hair' for a Brand-Spankin'-New car I'd most likely choose a model-year-end "Closeout"......however I'll probably stick with my 1st choice.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dude, call Toyota's corporate customer service at 800-331-4331 and ask them, or read their web site.

"Basic Coverage: Components other than normal wear and maintenance items are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles from the date of first use.

Powertrain Coverage: Your engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and air bags are covered for 5 years/60,000 miles from the date of first use. "
I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest over Toyota's warranty policy. But I just went to their website and under the Basic and Powertrain Coverage that you quoted above it does not say "from date of first use." Here is the direct link: Warranty Information - Toyota Owners

And here is what it says:

Quote:
Vehicles Warranty

Every Toyota Car, Truck and SUV is built to exceptional standards. And that's not idle boasting. We back it up with these Limited Warranty Coverages:
Basic Coverage: 36 months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items).
Powertrain Coverage: 60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and air bags).
No mention of "from date of first use." The only mention of the date used is under the used vehicle extended warranty. Nothing about the new vehicle factory warranty.

I'm not the type to argue something into the ground even if I'm wrong. I'm more than willing to accept that I may very well be wrong. At this point I just want what the friggin' correct answer. But I can't find online anything that tells me that the two dealers I've spoken to have lied, that I am too dumb to understand what they're saying or that they didn't understand my question.

There is a warranty booklet but DW has the vehicle or I'd check it...
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #24

It's possible your dealership sold you a car that had been previously titled or put into service. Call up another Toyota dealership and ask what the warranty is.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
No mention of "from date of first use." The only mention of the date used is under the used vehicle extended warranty. Nothing about the new vehicle factory warranty.

I'm not the type to argue something into the ground even if I'm wrong. I'm more than willing to accept that I may very well be wrong. At this point I just want what the friggin' correct answer. But I can't find online anything that tells me that the two dealers I've spoken to have lied, that I am too dumb to understand what they're saying or that they didn't understand my question.
Well, they are car salesmen...

Many states have warranty laws that provide the 'missing' definitions. California, for example, has the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, which starts the warranty 'clock' running on delivery to the buyer.

I'll just note in passing that starting the warranty at the beginning of the calendar year or model year would work very much to the seller's advantage, effectively removing as much as a year or more of warranty coverage from the advertised numbers for a buyer of a vehicle late in the cycle.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
It's possible your dealership sold you a car that had been previously titled or put into service. Call up another Toyota dealership and ask what the warranty is.
Yeah, I wondered if there was something strange going on with the dealer after reading some posts in this thread. So I called up a separate dealer and they confirmed what the first dealer (the one I purchased it from) told me. Very weird.

Oh and sorry to the TS for the hijack.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Sorry dude, I thought I was giving you some good news, not engaging in a 'pissing contest'.

The quote in my post above is from the toyota web site, frequently asked questions, warranty, 'what warranty coverage do I have on my new toyota'. See below.

Dont take my word for it, call the corporate 800# I listed and verify it with them. Or you can probably register as an owner on their web site if you have the VIN, and they probably will show you the in-service warranty start and end dates.

If the in-service warranty start date is different from the date you bought, then they sold you a car that had been previously sold new and returned. This can be pretty common with "rollbacks", or a car that was sold and the customer then didnt didnt qualify for financing or their check bounced. The vehicle will only have a few miles on it, and is supposed to be sold as used, but the salesman may not be completely up front on that and just slip a piece of paper into that stack of 30 documents you have to sign, which has a check box on the back in the middle of 10,000 words of fine print that says "this car has been previously sold".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toyota warranty.JPG (192.0 KB, 14 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #28

OK, once and for all here's how to handle this. Go to any Certified Toyota dealership in the country, drive into the service dept. and ask them to pull your VIN and give you the in service date and mileage (also ask them if they will print this off for you to keep in your glove box{why haven't they changed that name? Does anyone keep gloves in them?}). Then check the odometer slip your dealership should have given you the day you bought you car. If they don't match up then take this info to your dealership. I would be shocked....SHOCKED....to learn that Toyota starts the service date based on a calendar year. If so, then people are getting screwed over nationwide.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I found what CFB copied, on the Toyota website. It wasn't all that easy to find, IMO. Go to

Toyota Help Faq

and then look under "What warranty coverage do I have on my new Toyota?".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #30

Still unclear....

Components other than normal wear and maintenance items are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles from the date of first use.

Whose first use? Yours or the dealerships?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Still unclear....

Components other than normal wear and maintenance items are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles from the date of first use.

Yours, unless you bought a used car. Otherwise, your car is new, not used.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I took the trouble of calling Toyota.

First use is considered the day you drive the car off the lot after purchasing it, aka "the delivery date".

They dont say "purchase date" because some owners dont take ownership of the vehicle on the purchase date.

So all the toyota owners can wipe the sweat from your brow and stop worrying. Your new car warranty works exactly the same as every other new car warranty sold in america.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I took the trouble of calling Toyota.

First use is considered the day you drive the car off the lot after purchasing it, aka "the delivery date".

They dont say "purchase date" because some owners dont take ownership of the vehicle on the purchase date.

So all the toyota owners can wipe the sweat from your brow and stop worrying. Your new car warranty works exactly the same as every other new car warranty sold in america.

Except for the guy on this board.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Eh, if he bought a new car i'm 99.9% sure his warranty is better than he was led to believe.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #35

If they're anxious to sell the 2008 models, you might be able to negotiate getting the pre-certified warranty, which should be much longer than the original warranty.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Well, I bought a 4Runner and was told that. I just called Gatorland Toyota in Gainesville, Florida less than thirty minutes ago and was told the same thing. Call your local Toyota and check it out. Maybe they've changed their policy since you last purchased? I don't know. And this is not one Toyota either. I actually bought my 4Runner at the Jacksonville location and was told the same thing. I dunno why I was told the same thing by two different dealers if it is not true...
That's simply not true. Looks like you talked to two morons at two different dealers........... The "in-service" date is when the warranty starts. The dealer has to punch that in on a computer so the manufacturer knows the date the warranty starts. If you buy a demo, or service loaner, it's possible that some warranty has been used.

IF the vehicle has NOT been put in service, the warranty clock has not started...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #37

FD is on the money.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
FD is on the money.
Sometimes my car experience from a millenia ago comes in handy.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #39

Gatorbuzz, here is what I hope will be a helpful piece of advice.

Never believe anything a car salesperson, sales manager, or any dealer representative tells you. (of course I don't mean you 73SS454)
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Still unclear....

My Acura came with a card which had the day I drove out the door and the start of the warranty period... not from the first of the year...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote